HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which mini short course truck would you buy?
WLtoys A969 2 25.00%
Hobbyking Mini trooper 1 12.50%
Dromida SC4.18 0 0%
Helion Animus 18SC 0 0%
ECX Mini Torment 0 0%
HPI Mini Recon 0 0%
Losi 1/18 mini Desert Truck 1 12.50%
Traxxas Mini Slash 2 25.00%
Associated SC18 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:55 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
685 Posts
Poll
Mini Short Course Trucks

I've recently become interested in a 1/16 or 1/18 scale mini short course truck. To my surprise, I've been unable to find any comparisons of the many that are available. Considering how many there are now, and how similar they all are, I'm surprised there hasn't been a big thread comparing all of them (if there is, i'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to it).

Anyways, here are some that I've been looking at, in order of price:

WLtoys A969 - $70 RTR
Hobbyking Mini trooper - $76 ARR (brushless)
Dromida SC4.18 - $100 RTR
Helion Animus 18SC $100 RTR
ECX Mini Torment - $100 RTR
HPI Mini Recon - $110 RTR (not a real short course truck)
Losi 1/18 mini Desert Truck - $130 RTR (not a true short course truck, 2WD)
Associated SC18 - $200 RTR
Traxxas Mini Slash- $200 RTR

Note that I haven't included shipping in these prices. So that might change the prices depending on where you buy. A couple are not really SCTs, but could be made so with a cheap body...so iI've included them just to get more info.

The Mini Trooper is a bit of an outlier being the only one here without a battery and radio, but it trades that for a brushless power system.

The WLtoys A969 is a price cheater, but probably isn't as "serious" of a machine as the others.

The Mini Slash and the Associted SC18 are price outliers, but also probably the best of the bunch. The slash has a huge honking motor, and the Associated SC18 is brushless. But are they really twice the truck as the others?

Besides those, there is a huge cluster around $100 and $130 that all offer basically the same truck.

SO, the question: Do any of these really stand out as the best of the bunch? Which would you buy and why? What did I miss that isn't included in this list?
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:14 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I like this scale too - though I prefer micro scale ...

In my research it seems like you really get what you pay for ... The WLToys is CHEAP. But it's fast and I think you can have some fun with it. I wouldn't expect it to hold up for very long though.

I had a Losi LST and it was great! Lots of power, could handle serious jumps over and over, easy to work on. But not water proof AT ALL. The desert truck will be the same quality, but it's not AWD

I've been looking at the Traxxas stuff lately (I like the 1/16 SCT, also $200). It's AWESOME. AWD, powerful motor, 2.4GHz, water proof, durable, easy to work in. It just has everything. I've never really looked at associated but I assume it's the same quality. So I'd suggest saving for the good stuff. OR if you're on a very tight budget get the WLToys for now, expect it to break, and keep saving for the $200 stuff. I'd probably just skip all the stuff in the middle either way
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Apr 30, 2014, 09:35 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
I would go with the 1/16 Slash. You know that you have parts support and I believe there is some aftermarket stuff out there too. The truck is also very well-equipped with electronics that you can count on and it will stand up to abuse. You get what you pay for.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato