HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:44 AM
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Dec 2009
20 Posts
Discussion
Gopro hero 3+ silver live video out quality

Has anyone had a problem using a hero 3+ sliver in an fpv application.

The video quality output is horrible until i hit record. While recording the live video output is excellent, similar to my hero 3 black.

all my other hero cameras output high resolution video even if the camera is not recording.

I called go pro and they said that all silver and white editions have lower preview resolutions as to "not stress the camera". which does not make sense to me.

I use my go pro cameras for most of my fpv applications, but rarely record.

Considering how many guys use go pro cameras for fpv, I cant believe i am the only one having this issue.

anyone having a similar problem, please respond.
leapnlarry is offline Find More Posts by leapnlarry
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:27 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapnlarry View Post

The video quality output is horrible until i hit record. While recording the live video output is excellent, similar to my hero 3 black.

all my other hero cameras output high resolution video even if the camera is not recording.

I called go pro and they said that all silver and white editions have lower preview resolutions as to "not stress the camera". which does not make sense to me.

Considering how many guys use go pro cameras for fpv, I cant believe i am the only one having this issue.

I have a Hero 3 White, purchased last spring. It provides the same live composite video out with or without the recording turned on.

Maybe their new whites are crippled, in this regard - but mine isn't.

But thanks for posting, cause I'm about to purchase, and it looks like I'll skip the H3S+, and get an H3B+ instead. Too bad - was thinking about the silver.

It makes no sense - that bit about stressing the camera - looks more like marketing to me.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:31 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,925 Posts
Quote:

You're not the only one who's used the Hero's live A/V output, but you may
be the only one that chooses not to record while doing so. I don't have a Hero3 White or Silver
but they are functionally equivalent to the Hero HD and H2 which I do own, and both of those didn't
have great live output. They usually increased the contrast of the live out, which could
make the ground turn black in high contrast situations (just after sunset, for instance).
The Hero3 Black was the first I saw where the live output contrast pretty
closely matches what the camera can see, and is recording.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:34 AM
simi
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2014
10 Posts
Quality may differ from wide to narrow. Try it
simibian is offline Find More Posts by simibian
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:04 AM
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Dec 2009
20 Posts
go pro silver 3+ sucks for fpv

I have tried the live video out in both wide and narrow and the preview is still very poor quality.

I have tested it through my fpv transmitter and directly from the camera to a monitor using the hero 3 composite cable from go pro.

I have a support case going with go pro and their fpv guy is going to confirm that the hero 3 + has a lower quality preview output compared to the hero 3+ black, before i order a black and sell my 3+silver.
leapnlarry is offline Find More Posts by leapnlarry
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:09 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,051 Posts
Quote:
I have tried the live video out in both wide and narrow and the preview is still very poor quality.

I have tested it through my fpv transmitter and directly from the camera to a monitor using the hero 3 composite cable from go pro.

I have a support case going with go pro and their fpv guy is going to confirm that the hero 3 + has a lower quality preview output compared to the hero 3+ black, before i order a black and sell my 3+silver.
I'm glad you are doing this. Look forward to the results.
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:21 PM
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
492 Posts
I use a Hero 3 Silver (Not +). Its live out is perfectly clear and perfectly reliable. I fly through the gimbal and, while it is something to get used to, flying through the gimbal is easy to adapt to if you have fpv experience. Here's a video I shot yesterday with the gimbal. It is a project I had for Film Club. I had two days to write, plan, film, and edit a 3 minute short. For my film, I chose to showcase the cherry blossoms at the Quad in the University of Washington Campus. Hope you guys enjoy!

University of Washington Aerial Cinematography/FPV (3 min 7 sec)
RainyDayRC is offline Find More Posts by RainyDayRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Team cirrus fpv debut
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:46 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2002
1,069 Posts
I have the 3+ Silver hanging on a Zenumse H3-2D under a Phantom 2. The GoPro live out is total crap. Checked with my Black Pearl and my Fatshark Attitude V2's. Tried the little FPV cam that came with the Attitudes and it's night and day, it's sharp and clear. I love the GoPro's recording quality but for the price they charge, you'd think the live out would be up to par. Mine seems bad whether I'm recording or not.

Couple pics of the Black Pearl screen.

GoPro

Cheap little FPV cam.
dklassen is offline Find More Posts by dklassen
Last edited by dklassen; Mar 24, 2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,925 Posts
Stacking the deck a bit there by having less of the bright window in frame for the 2nd camera,
which causes the rest of the image to darken. But otherwise the first image is consistent with
what I said about all the GoPro's before the Black Edition, in that their A/V output
has added contrast beyond what it records. They *did* fix it, you just have the wrong
version of the camera.

The problem is, people won't accept that the H3 White and H3 Silver are not
*new* cameras. They're just the HD and H2 in a smaller package. If you want
new features and fixes, gotta start with the H3 Black.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:44 PM
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
Joined Oct 2013
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklassen View Post
I have the 3+ Silver hanging on a Zenumse H3-2D under a Phantom 2. The GoPro live out is total crap. Checked with my Black Pearl and my Fatshark Attitude V2's. Tried the little FPV cam that came with the Attitudes and it's night and day, it's sharp and clear. I love the GoPro's recording quality but for the price they charge, you'd think the live out would be up to par. Mine seems bad whether I'm recording or not.

Couple pics of the Black Pearl screen.

GoPro

Cheap little FPV cam.
How long have you run your VTx without cooling? I ran my old 250mw Fatshark Tx fro about 5 minutes to test a new camera and it burnt up. It doesn't seem like much heat, but after about a minute of transmitting on the bench without cooling, it burns the surface-mount components. Once you can feel excessive thermal energy radiating from the heat sink, it's already too late. I would try a different VTx if you have one, or replace it because that is where I traced most of my grainy video problems.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2002
1,069 Posts
I have several, all the same. The GoPro is the only one that produces crappy video. My other cam's including the Mobius looks fine. It's not the tx.

Wrong version of the camera? So I need to drop $400 instead of $300 to get good video out? Hum... the video out on my Mobius is pretty nice and the recorded video is reasonably close... $80.
Last edited by dklassen; Mar 24, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:19 PM
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
Joined Oct 2013
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklassen View Post
I have several, all the same. The GoPro is the only one that produces crappy video. My other cam's including the Mobius looks fine. It's not the tx.

Wrong version of the camera? So I need to drop $400 instead of $300 to get good video out? Hum... the video out on my Mobius is pretty nice and the recorded video is reasonably close... $80.
Have you ever updated the firmware or is it bone-stock?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:28 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2002
1,069 Posts
Yep, I always keep it updated.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 02:24 PM
Fly it or get rid of it
United States, NC, Reidsville
Joined Oct 2005
145 Posts
Sorry to get in on your thread but can't get an answer anywhere. I have the GoPro Hero3 Silver, and I am wanting to get into this a little. Mainly just so I can glance at the photo or scene that I am aiming for. What all do I need to get into this? It will be mounted on a 550 Hex.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Jamie
JRAllen is online now Find More Posts by JRAllen
Old Jul 15, 2014, 03:36 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2005
165 Posts
Had to bring this thread back from the dead. I had my silver 3+ hooked up to my tv in the house and then I hooked up my sony super had PZ0420 and its a huge difference. The GoPro video out is total crap. I thought it was my FPV monitor for the longest time but it turns out its just the camera. Ill have to try it when recording to see if there is a difference. Very disappointed that the 6x more expensive camera has worse video out.
carrera0to60 is offline Find More Posts by carrera0to60