HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:29 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Build Log
Tlar drone v3

This is v3 in my 'TLAR' drone series. I have several threads about the previous two on this forum.

If interested just Google it. I'll post the other links tomorrow.

So I finally had time to build the successor to the tlar drone v2. These planes are built fast (1 day) and dirt cheap for me to practice fpv on. This one is made from some sort of thick foam board, dollar tree foam board, xps (insulation board) foam for fuselage, and bass wood for the tail booms.

Kfm2 airfoil
40" wingspan

Motor: eflite power 10 (1100kv)
Battery: 4s 3000 turnigy
Esc: 70amp
Prop: apc 9x6
AUW: haven't weighed it yet

It's much bigger than the previous tlar drones, which didn't carry the gopro

The fpv setup right now (because it's GOING to crash eventually and I don't want to mess up anything nice) is the hobbyking 200mw 900mhz fpv system with a 520tvl HK camera with 2.1mm lens. Inverted vee on the plane and stock whip on the ground

RC control is 72mhz Futaba, pcm

Maidened today in gusty 20 mph winds 

Much more lift on wing than I thought, which is a good thing cuz it's heavy!

Got tossed around by the wind alot, can upload the video tomorrow if desired.

Will be FPV'ing it tomorrow! May end up in a spectacular crash (;

Anyway, here's some pictures
corsair2014 is offline Find More Posts by corsair2014
Last edited by corsair2014; Nov 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts

Last edited by corsair2014; Nov 19, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts

Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Well good news... The servos held up (;

Just did two fpv flights... Talk about exhilarating!

Almost thrashed it when signal cut out several times. Next flight I worked out the kinks and had some awesome laps until my radio control beeped low battery and had to do an emergency landing.
I'll post up the video and debrief later

Rechsrging and going out again tonight. Going to reroute video cables to help remove emi
Old Nov 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,206 Posts
Nice build. You will always remember these flights. It is a thrill to see a craft that you've built with your own two hands fly the way it does. It's a great experience and the first of many more.

~ Dick. The K in KF
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
Nice build. You will always remember these flights. It is a thrill to see a craft that you've built with your own two hands fly the way it does. It's a great experience and the first of many more.

~ Dick. The K in KF
Thanks for always being positive support to me (: I definitely appreciate your airfoils too!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
All I can say is wow... That was AWESOME!!! This is the first time ever I could actually relax and Fly fpv..

Moved antenna to end of wing and it made a huuuuge difference. Crystal clear video even with my used and abused vee and stock whip.

Had the most fun I've had in a long while. And flew .75 miles! (that's far for me right now lol)

Flew all the way to my house from launch site. Guess I need a new goal now :P

Anyways, video coming at some point!

And it handles the wind very well. Longer wings would help even more. You'll see in the video (:

Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Fpv video uploading!! (;

Skimmed and surfed some trees, flew BETWEEN powerlines... Oops lol
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Don't have time to edit right now due to school schedule. But here is an uncut proximity practice flight where I go through power lines accidentally and literally skim tops of trees 

Tree Surfing With TLAR Drone v3 (10 min 46 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
Argentina, CH, Puerto Madryn
Joined May 2013
103 Posts
Hello Corsair,

I been following you since TLAR v1, in fact I made a similar plane like TLAR based on your input in Flitetest.

Just one comment to your last design-> Why the Electronics are ouside the fuselage? This is TLAR v3, I was expecting some improvement and I found lot of cables spread everywere + an unused fuselage, just camera on top.

Please take my feedback as positive.

On the other hand I really like the FPV wing you made and rocket experiments.

Saludos from Argentina
pekote is offline Find More Posts by pekote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekote View Post
Hello Corsair,

I been following you since TLAR v1, in fact I made a similar plane like TLAR based on your input in Flitetest.

Just one comment to your last design-> Why the Electronics are ouside the fuselage? This is TLAR v3, I was expecting some improvement and I found lot of cables spread everywere + an unused fuselage, just camera on top.

Please take my feedback as positive.

On the other hand I really like the FPV wing you made and rocket experiments.

Saludos from Argentina
Simply because I built this In one night, and I didn't plan very well (; also it leaves them easily accessible to swap things out cuz I build these things to be crashed. The purpose of these planes is to allow me to test out fpv and things such as tree diving and gap shots without messing up expensive equipment.

Basically it just happened because I built the whole plane first and didn't make the wings removable (hot glued in). My TLAR drones will probably never be nice, cuz they are experimental. Next I will build a plane based on tlar v3,but with longer wing with real airfoil, and removable wings. Also carbon tail booms, longer flight duration, pan/tilt etc etc

So I hope that answers your question haha (: thanks for the support!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Someone on fpvlab wanted to Know some details so I'm copying my response to here....

Wings: 40" made from some really stiff and shiny foam board. Much larger that dollar tree foam and is found at hobby lobby (I'll find out next time I go). Chord=12" Including 1.5" ailerons. Step at ~5" with basswood spars. CG at 4" from leading edge (anywhere between 3-5" will be fine, this airfoil is very forgiving)

One thing to note is that the kfm2 airfoil is very pitchy (also due to flexible tail) but likes to climb under speed (cuz it's flat bottom). This can be fixed by making a kfm4 (step on top and identical step on bottom), this will create more drag and complication but better tracking and performance.
I chose kfm2 because it's easy just to fold foam over (see wing pics) and for this application works perfectly fine ( not a high performance aircraft, just a basher to practice some stuff with)

Fuselage: 26" long. Made from 1/2" insulation foam (pink, xps)
12" sticking out front (wing is 12" back) with about 2" sticking out back. Just position the fuselage and wing based on the load your carrying (will determine CG point)

I carry a gopro HD hero 1 and a FPV cam on front with a 3000mah 4s Lipo in fuse and power 10 motor on back. (I added cam and battery, then found CG and glued wings accordingly)

For simplicity and cuz I'm lazy and cuz the gopro mount covers most of the fuse anyway, I didn't make a top hatch

Tail: see pic it will explain most lol. Used full length.

Made butt joint like this. One plus of this shiny (heavier) and stiffer foamboard (like elmers board) is that it holds tail booms better without flex like tlar v2 (dollar tree foam)

Oh and just slather it with hot glue (;

As for the tail itself... Just eyeball it

I made mine 13 in wide so I could fit a 12in prop for 3s but I didn't end up going that route anyway. Chord is 6.5 including 1 inch elevator

HOT TIP : learn from my mistake... Elevator DOES NOT NEED LOTS OF THROW. And add a LOT OF EXPO lol

With motor off, elevator acts normal. Motor on, it acts like thrust be vectoring and the plane gets super pitchy like a flying wing haha. Fixed that by lowering throws (mechanically first) and adding 60% expo (this is so when motor off I still have full control but motor on I can be smooth)

Adhesives: lots of hot glue... Gorilla glue to make the fuselage pieces. Hot glued wings on.
Velcro
And electrical tape (too lazy and too much in a rush to go downstairs and get the duct tape or packing tape lol)
Old Nov 21, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
edited compilation of my weekend FPV adventures(:

BEAUTiFUL FPV- ALiVE (4 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
896 Posts
Not flying for the last three days, i was having FPV withdrawls... so i had to go out and get a flight in during the rain in the 38 degree weather (thats cold for Houston Texas)

Got some pretty nice shots and experimented with some different camera angles.

Adventures of TLAR v3: FREEZiNG FPV (3 min 44 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
I caught your recent footage over on FT so I had to google ya up. LOL I'm an engineer by trade and tend to design my planes using the appropriate formulas. But now and then I love to bash out a quicky and wring it out too.

It's refreshing to see someone, a young someone if you don't mind me noticing, that can have an idea, bring it to reality and make it successful as you did. Keep up the good work!
Team_Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Team_Monkey