HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Esprit Model, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:11 AM
Redmond, Oregon
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
One thing I have not seen yet is a RPM sensor that plugs directly into the RC EXCEL ignition boxes. Spektrum makes one how about Jeti .

Bruce
ke6gkc is offline Find More Posts by ke6gkc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:21 AM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,028 Posts
Haven't done it myself, but I've read that the Jeti brushless rpm sensor does exactly what you are looking for.
ncrego is offline Find More Posts by ncrego
Old Oct 16, 2014, 03:43 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
268 Posts
I have done it. works great with the brushless rpm sensor.. i have connected it both on a DA and DLE engines..

Pole count =1

and it was within a resonabe margin from my optical tach

I even setup a alarm in case i do not hear the dead stick (loud field).. works great
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,086 Posts
I would be grateful if you could post your wiring diagram for the DA engine
Thanks
Puttputtmaru is offline Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
9 Posts
For those who don't have a ignition with a RPM output:
Use a hallsensor mounted beside the original ignitionsensor in combination with the MRPM-AC sensor:
For more details see here:
http://jetiforum.de/index.php/19-mrp...motor?start=12
Use Google translate if you can't read German.
ukkie12342000 is offline Find More Posts by ukkie12342000
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:38 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
268 Posts
It's not as difficult as it sounds.. Here are the instructions i followed from "cravenjw" he gets all the credit.

Ok so here is what you do for an rxcel ignition. But I suspect it will work for any ignition with a tach output.

Connect the black wire on brushless sensor to black (ground) on tach output. Connect red sensor wire to white (signal) on tach output. Nothing on red (pos) on tach.
I use a servo connector crimper tool. I just crimped on a servo connector to the brushless sensor leads, and put the lead in the right holes to match the tach output.
If you don't have one, cut a servo extension cable in half and solder it to the sensor wires.

To get the correct reading, use the jetibox app in the tx or a real jetibox to change the "number of poles" setting of the sensor from the default value of 14 to 2.

The sensor is optically protected. It will take motors running 12s, 50volts. You can't hurt it. If you don't get a reading, just try different combos of the connection. My buddy, had another ignition, it didn't work with our first guess. We just swapped one of the wires. Worked fine on the second guess.

I also set a deadstick alarm, rpm less than 900. This alarm is activate/enabled when with the same switch as my ignition run/kill. Enabled in run mode. In the case of a stall, I get the alarm long before I feel or hear the stall. Couple seconds makes huge difference planning those deadstick landings.

-End Quote

Thanks again CravenJW!
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2013
255 Posts
Wouldn't it be fun to have a G's meter ?
Dansy is online now Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaScript View Post
It's not as difficult as it sounds.. Here are the instructions i followed from "cravenjw" he gets all the credit.

Ok so here is what you do for an rxcel ignition. But I suspect it will work for any ignition with a tach output.

Connect the black wire on brushless sensor to black (ground) on tach output. Connect red sensor wire to white (signal) on tach output. Nothing on red (pos) on tach.
I use a servo connector crimper tool. I just crimped on a servo connector to the brushless sensor leads, and put the lead in the right holes to match the tach output.
If you don't have one, cut a servo extension cable in half and solder it to the sensor wires.

To get the correct reading, use the jetibox app in the tx or a real jetibox to change the "number of poles" setting of the sensor from the default value of 14 to 2.

The sensor is optically protected. It will take motors running 12s, 50volts. You can't hurt it. If you don't get a reading, just try different combos of the connection. My buddy, had another ignition, it didn't work with our first guess. We just swapped one of the wires. Worked fine on the second guess.

I also set a deadstick alarm, rpm less than 900. This alarm is activate/enabled when with the same switch as my ignition run/kill. Enabled in run mode. In the case of a stall, I get the alarm long before I feel or hear the stall. Couple seconds makes huge difference planning those deadstick landings.

-End Quote

Thanks again CravenJW!
Thanks to botj
Puttputtmaru is offline Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru