HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2014, 01:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppwf View Post
A 6x4 or 6x5 TGS Sport Propeller is better than 5.2x5.2 APC-E Propeller. The Sky Fun will have significant more speed against the APC
The TGS Sport has 23% more power (measured values) than the APC-E.
Yeah but a 6x4 or 6x5 is too big for 4s it'll draw too many amps!
Add1ct3dd is online now Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:36 PM
Germany, NDS, Wolfenbüttel
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
Yeah but a 6x4 or 6x5 is too big for 4s it'll draw too many amps!
No, it draw 37A full throttle using a 6x4 TGS Sport prop and a 4s 1800 mAh 35C nano-tec lipo. Full speed with this setup is 210 kmh (130 mi/h). All measured in flight.
I think 37 A is not too much for this speed and not too much for 4S.
ruppwf is offline Find More Posts by ruppwf
Old Oct 30, 2014, 07:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
Radjet FPV

One by one I have been modding my planes to have FPV setups as an option, so I make them modular to have, or not have, that installed.
Now I am up to my Radjets.....
I decided to only do the faster one. The 4S 2826-2200kv 5x5 setup, which is "quite fast". (I have not tried 6x4 on it yet, but don't need that speed really).

I will use a TS5823 or FT952 VTX - both are pretty much the same design. With an 'open' type CloverLeaf antenna - for lower drag. (a 'canned' one in the pic just for checking fitting).
A Surveilzone HS1177 camera, as it is the smallest form factor 'great' camera around (well, a few in that series are all great). Seeing it is fast, and can't have panning viably, I will use a 2.1mm 117deg FOV lens. Though I can easily change to any other type, and 2.8mm 87deg FOV is also a good 'non panning' FOV to use - but being fast, this Radjet will possibly need a bit more 'look ahead' capability of the wider FOV.

The FPV Camera and VTX 'pods' can be removed to leave the base mounting platforms which are very streamlined and will revert the Radjet to LOS format again.

I don't have any 'spare' 200mW VTXes, so will have to wait until more arrive - maybe over the next X working days.... but probably not in time for this weekend. But if none arrive by Saturday I will 'pinch' one off another plane for this Radjet.

The camera HOUSINGS are epoxied to a mounting plate to form the mountable 'pod', which has to be a specific design for some planes, and the camera board inside the housing can be removed from any of them to shift into another plane's camera housing. I have about 10 cameras to share around the various planes and quadcopters I use most often, plus some of them (all the same size) are the various TVL versions. eg 600, 650, 700

PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Oct 31, 2014, 03:02 PM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,232 Posts
Radjet 800, Radjet Ultra or SkyFun?

Who can compare?

Which one should i choose?

Uwe
SilbernerSurfer is online now Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
Old Oct 31, 2014, 03:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
1,429 Posts
SkyFun.

Never hear anything good about the Ultra, not seen anything about the 800.

Having both a SkyFun and Radjet, I maybe biased, but it's such a good platform!

It flies AMAZING as well, even better than the radjet (which you'd expect being bigger), but the profile of the wing means it has a huge wing area, glides forever. And of course, if you reinforce it , then it's also stupidly quick.

Maiden mine tomorrow wtih a 2970 3000kv Dr Mad Thrust, 100A ESC and a 4S A-Spec G2 It's pulling around 110A on a 5.5x4.3, should easily hit 150mph+!

If you do go quick, don't forget to reinforce.
Add1ct3dd is online now Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Nov 01, 2014, 01:14 AM
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,232 Posts
What is about the EPS at the SkyFun? It isnt as good for repairing as EPO. Isnt it?
SilbernerSurfer is online now Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
Old Nov 01, 2014, 07:25 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,295 Posts
I like the RJ better personally but the SkyFun is made of high-pressure EPS. It's very tough for sure and light. It's a close #2 IMHO.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Nov 01, 2014, 01:27 PM
Germany, NDS, Wolfenbüttel
Joined Dec 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer View Post
Radjet 800, Radjet Ultra or SkyFun?

Who can compare?

Which one should i choose?

Uwe
I have Radjets 800, Ultra-Z Blaze (same as Radsjet Ultra) and SkyFun
Flying with normal power I prefer the Blaze in flying which is very manoeuvrable.
The SkyFun is good for quiet flight and the Radjet 800 the best for speed flight

Rupp
ruppwf is offline Find More Posts by ruppwf
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Jul 2013
604 Posts
[QUOTE=PeterVRC;29815124]One by one I have been modding my planes to have FPV setups as an option, so I make them modular to have, or not have, that installed.
Now I am up to my Radjets.....
I decided to only do the faster one. The 4S 2826-2200kv 5x5 setup, which is "quite fast". (I have not tried 6x4 on it yet, but don't need that speed really).

I will use a TS5823 or FT952 VTX - both are pretty much the same design. With an 'open' type CloverLeaf antenna - for lower drag. (a 'canned' one in the pic just for checking fitting).
A Surveilzone HS1177 camera, as it is the smallest form factor 'great' camera around (well, a few in that series are all great). Seeing it is fast, and can't have panning viably, I will use a 2.1mm 117deg FOV lens. Though I can easily change to any other type, and 2.8mm 87deg FOV is also a good 'non panning' FOV to use - but being fast, this Radjet will possibly need a bit more 'look ahead' capability of the wider FOV.

HS1177 is DC5V sony super had II CCD camera, of good image effect.
Test video for your reference:
RCTESTFLIGHT - Surveilzone Mini 600TVL Camera Review and Comparison (2 min 8 sec)
davidsz is offline Find More Posts by davidsz
Old Nov 03, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
Radjet FPV.... short lived.. temporarily.

Off I went to the field this morning. Pics and setup video done, time to fly....
I did one LOS flight to check out the flight behaviour, seeing it was a bit nose heavy - it seemed fine enough. I switched to FPV goggles very late in the flight and it was "terrible".
1) 2.1mm 120deg FOV was way too much. Fish-eye and showing too much of a 'big circle' view.
2) The camera was fractionally tilted upwards - though in house tests seemed right. This meant to fly level it felt like it was climbing - and to fly 'with a nice view' it was descending, quite fast!

So all in all it was not comfortable to fly really. Then I landed to do a recorded FPV flight....

Launch.... and within seconds there was a terrible noise of "Propeller eating stuff"!!
Yikes! Power OFF! Glide to land!

As it turned out I had not slid the slide catch into the hatch properly - it seems - so as I "threw it" the G forces rearwards made it unclip and head to the rear end = motor/prop! The FPV wiring stopped it going rearwards non-stop but (luckily?) only the front half of the hatch/canopy got to the prop and was shredded!
Booo....

It needed some "re-aligning" (camera) anyway, and a lens change.... though now it needs some major rebuilding! The black plastic canopy is history....
The shiny and reflective black canopy was actually also a negative to the camera view anyway, so I will think about what I make to replace it.

Another issue was the Radjet is a very "Yawey" plane, so unless it is flying dead straight it 'waggles' a lot as it is banked over to "turn". So again, all in all it is not a greatly suited type of plane for FPV - though the aim was to get to go for a "ride in a Radjet"!! So I guess in those terms it showed what a pilot IN a Radjet WOULD be dealing with!

It should all be fixed up for another go next weekend.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
Radjet FPV

Lousy Hatcam alignment of video.
No FPV audio.

Radjet 800mm - FPV setup (1 min 21 sec)

Radjet 800mm - FPV - 1st Test Hatcam view (3 min 37 sec)

Radjet 800mm - FPV - 2nd Test FPV flight & Problem (0 min 22 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2014, 11:19 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
Radjet full FPV flight

All problems resolved. Canopy/Hatch rebuilt....
And three flights of FPV 'fun'. But I think I like the Radjet in LOS mode better.....

I now need to add Microphones to the FPV planes that have VTXes without those on them. You really want to HEAR the plane flying!

Radjet 800mm - FPV - onboard (4 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member