HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Question
Gas tank stopper?

Hi

My Dubro tank stopper on my gas 50cc plane is leaking. I found a new small 12oz tank in my hobby room but it is not in the package. The stopper looks the same but is there a way to know if its a nitro or gas stopper (colour etc) or is it standard that all stoppers now can be used for gas? Thanks

TtT
talkthetorque is offline Find More Posts by talkthetorque
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkthetorque View Post
Hi

My Dubro tank stopper on my gas 50cc plane is leaking. I found a new small 12oz tank in my hobby room but it is not in the package. The stopper looks the same but is there a way to know if its a nitro or gas stopper (colour etc) or is it standard that all stoppers now can be used for gas? Thanks

TtT
The last ones I bought from Tower says they can be used for Gas,glo,diesel fuel.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg96 View Post
The last ones I bought from Tower says they can be used for Gas,glo,diesel fuel.

sarg96
Hi Sarg96

I just went on to the Tower site now and read this on their site

"Can be used with either Glo-Fuel or gasoline (must purchase DUBQ0675
Gasoline Conversion Stopper)."

I think they mean the tank it self can handle both. I have the black stopper and from what I can see on Tower and the Dubro site that is for Glo fuel. The red stopper is for Gas. I will just have to buy one when I get the chance. Thanks for your help

Regards
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Hi Sarg96

I just went on to the Tower site now and read this on their site

"Can be used with either Glo-Fuel or gasoline (must purchase DUBQ0675
Gasoline Conversion Stopper)."

I think they mean the tank it self can handle both. I have the black stopper and from what I can see on Tower and the Dubro site that is for Glo fuel. The red stopper is for Gas. I will just have to buy one when I get the chance. Thanks for your help

Regards
The Sullivan Universal Stopper number S449 sold by Tower can be used for Gasoline/glow/smoke oil and it fits both Sullivan and Dubro Tanks.

That's the ones I have.

sarg96
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:07 AM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thanks again I will go get one

TtT
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:14 PM
Springdale, PA
Joined Mar 2008
55 Posts
The Dubro gas is orange or red colored, the Dubro glow is black, the Sullivan 449 is Viton and the way to go in my opinion, it's black colored also
Tony Hallo is online now Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thanks Tony

Do any of you guys use cable ties or steel clamps to hold the tygon tubing onto the pipes?

Regards
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tony

Do any of you guys use cable ties or steel clamps to hold the tygon tubing onto the pipes?

Regards
I don't use them, I change my tygon tubing at the beginning of each season and have had no problems at all.

sarg96
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Cool thanks
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:01 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
Sullivan makes nice tanks and cool hardware for the stopper, but their gas stopper is good for about one flight....after that count on a gas leak.

Dubro brown ones are for gas.

Here's a pic of my Sullivan stopper after one tank of gas. Next to it is the aluminum hardware for the stopper...it was very high quality stuff. I ended up using the Sullivan hardware with a Dubro stopper.
old_dan is offline Find More Posts by old_dan
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:12 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,038 Posts
No offense dan, but I don't see how gas could have caused that specific problem in one flight... even a glow only stopper should be able to handle some light use with gas.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:00 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
Well....the LHS owner sold me the Sullivan kit. He warned me not to use the included stopper, but I didn't heed the advice and used it anyway. I set up the system, leak tested it, and fired up the engine for a couple of test runs at home & drained the tank. A couple of days later I took the airplane out to the field for the first flight....I did a short flight in some howling wind, so I cut it short and went out the next morning. When I filled the tank for the second flight, gas leaked everywhere. Your can see that the stopper seperated at the point where the stopper material was inside the tank.

So...you're right....it really wasn't one flight....it was 4 days. The material wasn't submerged in fuel the whole time, but I assume that it was wet or exposed to fumes since the tank was sealed.

The reason I used the Sullivan stopper is that a) it said on the product label that the material was correct for gasoline, and b) it was softer which made it easier to get the 3/16 size tubes through the holes.

I re-set up the tank with the Dubro stopper and the Sullivan tank hardware. That was last April & I haven't had any problems yet.
old_dan is offline Find More Posts by old_dan
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:21 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan View Post
Well....the LHS owner sold me the Sullivan kit. He warned me not to use the included stopper, but I didn't heed the advice and used it anyway. I set up the system, leak tested it, and fired up the engine for a couple of test runs at home & drained the tank. A couple of days later I took the airplane out to the field for the first flight....I did a short flight in some howling wind, so I cut it short and went out the next morning. When I filled the tank for the second flight, gas leaked everywhere. Your can see that the stopper seperated at the point where the stopper material was inside the tank.

So...you're right....it really wasn't one flight....it was 4 days. The material wasn't submerged in fuel the whole time, but I assume that it was wet or exposed to fumes since the tank was sealed.

The reason I used the Sullivan stopper is that a) it said on the product label that the material was correct for gasoline, and b) it was softer which made it easier to get the 3/16 size tubes through the holes.

I re-set up the tank with the Dubro stopper and the Sullivan tank hardware. That was last April & I haven't had any problems yet.
Gotcha, that sounds a lot more likely than just a flight. Good demonstration of what using the wrong "rubber material" can do.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:15 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, well I guess it wasnt the wrong material if sulivan said it can be used for gasoline. Maybe they packaged some nitro stoppers with the gasoline units. Someone gave me a brown Dubro stopper so its in and seems fine. I will keep a check on it but I think it will be fine
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:32 PM
Springdale, PA
Joined Mar 2008
55 Posts
The Sullivan 449 is different from the previous gas stopper Sullivan sold. The 449 is Viton and cost twice that of the Dubro stopper. I use Viton tubing from McMaster Carr inside the tank, same stuff over two years old.
Tony Hallo is online now Find More Posts by Tony Hallo