HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Apr 2011
86 Posts
For quick testing of ignition engines I made up a box which contains NiCad batteries, coil, capacitor and switch. Terminal posts allow easy connection to the points and plug. You can see the ignition box in use here:-
http://homepages.tesco.net/~alanh/
Click on Baby Cyc running and Brown Jr running. The Brown Jr and Baby Cyclone are two of my favourite spark engines and are real fun to operate.
Alan
ukengineman is offline Find More Posts by ukengineman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Repro sparkie -
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:23 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Well, I picked up a pair of ignition engines for my collection last night. I honestly don't know the first thing about ignition engines. I've never seen anyone run one in my entire life and I've been into R/C for about 35 years. Here is the first one and here is the second. I think next I'd like to get an Orwick .29 to round out the set.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Courtesy of Model Airplane News
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Courtesy of Model Airplane News
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:08 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Some REAL old stuff here - look at the dates !
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Here's the 28cc Wall engine mentioned above, in a model
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Some Big 'uns here
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
......... I honestly don't know the first thing about ignition engines. I've never seen anyone run one in my entire life and I've been into R/C for about 35 years........
It's not suprising you've never seen one run. They are pretty much exclusive to old timers. Old timers (planes not pilots) are a pretty small segment of the model airplane hobby and us ignition flyers are an even smaller segment.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,864 Posts
Not as small as they are here Warren.......basically non-existant here.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
It's not suprising you've never seen one run. They are pretty much exclusive to old timers. Old timers (planes not pilots) are a pretty small segment of the model airplane hobby and us ignition flyers are an even smaller segment.
Well, I don't actually intend on running mine either. I'd rather collect them and keep the as new looking as possible. Still, I wouldn't mind going to an Old Timer event sometime just to see what it's all about.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
.... On second thought. Can anyone recommend a fairly simple old timer that would fly well on a .29 size ignition engine? I think I'd like to try something like that.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
733 Posts
Be fore warned. Once you fly an ign. engine, it is really easy to get hooked on them. I rarely go to the field anymore with out at least one sparker to fly. They sound different, and run different than there newer glow counterparts, and the idea that you are flying an engine that was designed over 60 years ago can put you over the edge. LOL. I am afraid I have it bad because as a youngster I use to watch the big boys fly these things back in the 40's, and I have been hooked ever since. Sparkers forever.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:33 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
.... On second thought. Can anyone recommend a fairly simple old timer that would fly well on a .29 size ignition engine? I think I'd like to try something like that.
Playboy Jr. in the original 54" size would be tough to beat. It's an easy build,the .29 would be plenty of power and it soars well in the glide. Add to that a removable firewall with the entire ignition unit on an attached tray for easy access to the sparking bits.

Bob Holman has a partial kit w/plans (http://www.bhplans.com/GMPg2.html),Harry Klarich has a version (http://www.klarichkits.com/klarichkitspricelist2010.pdf),Midway Models has one (http://www.freeflightmodels.com/page...y_model_co.htm) and there are a few others as well.

Waddaya think Bill,Jim and you other sparky gize???

Don't pay any never mind to the recommended engine sizes on some site as they are for glow. Feel free to ask away with any questions about flying,running, starting,setting up an spark engine as well as what you need for R/C gear.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:09 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
A Playboy Jr., eh.... That has a nice sound to it and since there are some kits of it available I think that's the one I'll go with. When I get to the point of actually running the engine I'm going to need some help and I will definitely be leaning on you guys here for guidance.

As for radio gear... I think I have that covered. Are there any issues with 2.4 mHz gear and spark ignition engines?