HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:12 PM
If I yell "look out" I mean it
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
Discussion
Easy Star Weight Issue

A newbie Easy Star learner here...I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on this.

I still have my Easy Star with stock motor. When I first flew it, I ran it with a 7 cell Nimh, 1100 mah. Flew fine with relative ease in low wind, but very short time.

So I decided to buy a 2 cell lipo 2100 mah. Wow, long and powerful run time BUT I totally threw off the weight. I was able to move the battery all the way foward in the compartment to get good COH. But here's the kicker.

It weighed in at 21 ozs. I figured "Great! Now I'll be able to stay up even longer with low weight."

So I went back out to fly...and total confusion and chaos. It was EXTREMELY sensitive to any little rudder/elevator movement and any little wind. Granted, it was a little windy, but not bad.

I was ready to give up, very frustrated. Lost the plane down wind 400 yards away - TWICE. Before I left, I had a thought and decided to throw some weight in there for the heck of it. I didnt have anything so I put in 4 AA alkaline batteries at 3.3 oz. Got COG correct. And whalla!!! it was flying relatively smooth again. (Until I crashed it by going full throttle when I meant to push up on the elevator right before a landing...broke in half, but glued back together.)

I'm going out again tomorrow. I'm gonna put in some lead tape at approx 3.3 ozs.

Anyhow...all that to say, I see WEIGHT is critical for 1. slight breeze. 2. a newbie like me. 3. more control.

Please give me some advice: 1. In general, does a particular airplane design have a goal for weight? 2. Is 21-23 oz too little for easy star? 3. What is the best weight to acheive for a learner like me - even in little to no wind. 4. Is is critical to get the weight at the bottom of the compartment? (thereby getting the weight to lowest part of the physical plane? 5. How do I keep doing this without getting my wife jealous? (I'm starting to wonder if she's going to hide the plane from me!)

Thanks to all in advance.
gpierson is offline Find More Posts by gpierson
Last edited by gpierson; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: put in wrong group
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
I should have asked...would it be better to add additional weight on the outside of the plane? I mean, like lead tape on the exterior of the plane bottom of it's belly?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:47 PM
maps.google.com> 1731'49.12"S,14934'39.47"W> satellite view> on the breakwater
Joined Jun 2008
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpierson
Granted, it was a little windy, but not bad.
Might it not have been a bit windier than the first flight .......... perhaps a little too windy for comfortable newb first flights?
twibble is offline Find More Posts by twibble
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
The more wind, the more nose-heavy the bird wants to be. Alternatively, give it some extra down-trim on the elevator. The EasyStar can be flown in 10-15 mph wind, but it takes some talent and skill. As a newb, best to limit yourself to 5 mph max, for now.

One danger of flying in wind (for a newb) is misunderstanding groundspeed vs. airspeed, and in doing so, stalling the bird while flying downwind. The bird will seem to be waaay too fast downwind, and waaay slow heading upwind, but that's how it has to be.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:35 PM
flying?crashing more like it!
Joined Dec 2008
162 Posts
I have the brushless version of the easy.they are very sensitive to weight and cg is critical.when flying with a 3s 2200 I use 5 stick on weights 7grams a piece.I used to have a 3s 2800 that balanced the plane fine!now I'm down to having to use weight.If you can and I will in near future,use battery to get correct cg.if you need weight ,its better to use, all in battery, then to stick weight!with out weight you will experience tail heavy plane.sucks to fly,need to use a lot of down elevator for level flight,and always has tendency to nose up,stall and create a nightmare for newbie!a correctly balanced easy will fly like a dream.also,make sure you have no movement in battery compartment!velcro battery down and center.the unbalance sideways is a pain as well!causing plane to spiral downward one direction even though you are holding stick opposite way
zman_99 is offline Find More Posts by zman_99
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
yes...thats (wind) is exactly what I was experiencing among other issues (e.g. right / left orientation, adjusting trim on the fly (a lot harder than I imagined), and many more issues.)

I'm realizing I'm on the upward slope of the learning curve a got a long way to go!!

thanks, gene.
Last edited by gpierson; Jul 14, 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:39 PM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
I use a 1/16 plywood base with Velcro on it and Velcro the battery to the plywood. I use lead weights on the front of the plywood for weight and the whole rig is Velcro'd to the EZStar in the front of the inside of the plane. It's not visible from the outside and works well. Tower Hobbies sell the weights in a pack. The EZStar likes to be a little nose heavy, particularly in the wind. As for total weight, don't sweat it, if it flies that's all that matters.
blinske is offline Find More Posts by blinske
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
I had better luck this early morning in almost no wind. I made sure the COG was a little nose heavy and it was a lot smoother. Now I see it's pulling right because of a bent fuse. I know it was a bit off when I glued it from the get go . I'll try and reshape it/straighten it.

One thing is for sure, in no wind, it's easier to see the effects of little imperfections like this.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,963 Posts
I still have no idea why there are 2 of the EXACT same threads being discussed

zman 99, there is no brushless version of the Multiplex Easy Star, there are only the cheap knockoffs.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:49 PM
flying?crashing more like it!
Joined Dec 2008
162 Posts
all I'm saying is my easy has a brushless...brushless version!
zman_99 is offline Find More Posts by zman_99
Old Jul 14, 2009, 08:28 PM
maps.google.com> 1731'49.12"S,14934'39.47"W> satellite view> on the breakwater
Joined Jun 2008
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpierson
I had better luck this early morning in almost no wind. I made sure the COG was a little nose heavy and it was a lot smoother. Now I see it's pulling right because of a bent fuse. I know it was a bit off when I glued it from the get go . I'll try and reshape it/straighten it.

One thing is for sure, in no wind, it's easier to see the effects of little imperfections like this.
Ah ha! There you go gpierson, no wind is definitely perfect wind for learning. Wait till you can fly in a good breeze, it's great!

If you want a little "insurance" and less stressful learning I could only suggest a $69 FMA Co-Pilot. I put one on my EZ, the first RC plane that I have ever owned, and it made the learning curve so less brutal. You lose it completely, you flick a switch on your TX (providing you have the extra channel) and in a second and a half you're beloved little plane is flying level again. I like to fly more or less alone and that flick of the switch allowed me to spend a lot of time learning in the early mornings when nobody else was around, and the wind was calmer ......... it saved my plane from total disaster at least three times.
twibble is offline Find More Posts by twibble
Last edited by twibble; Jul 14, 2009 at 08:33 PM.