HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Earth, System of Sol, Milky Way Galaxy
Joined Sep 2007
1,020 Posts
Question
Possible to use Mini XPV charger on Havoc?

Was thinking of getting an Apache Havoc from Target.com but am cringing at the thought of 3c charging. Is it possible to use the Mini XPV charger on this?

On a somewhat related topic...
Also saw the "Iron Man" and "Hulk" copters from ITC at target.com, arriving in a few weeks. They look neat but at $40.00 a pop I would expect them to have radio controllers instead of IR. Shame that.

Some savvy toy company needs to make a copter that will work well outdoors with good range and good flight times using a real tx/rx that can also be dumped without fear like the original Pico/Havoc copters. Durable little critters.
demisemiquaver is offline Find More Posts by demisemiquaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:41 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
the iron man and hulk do have radio not IR, the iron man is a great plane demi, just got mine a couple days ago, about the charger, as long as its the same polarity, and as long as the plug fits, i dont see why not....
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
Advanced District5 Champion!
In the vicinity of the midwest.... home of large lots of land to fly in!!
Joined Mar 2008
2,364 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it..... My havoc have 100+ STOCK CHARGES AND STILL WORKS. I'd think the mxpv charger would fry the havoc, all lipos have different charge voltages, havoc charges at 80, mxpv chares at 120 I beleive...
Ironbowser is offline Find More Posts by Ironbowser
Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
just ask someone like finnspeed or KC or Modfly o some other electro wiz in a PM demi is your best bet.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
Just Say No To GMO
Joined Sep 2007
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
the iron man and hulk do have radio not IR
Hmm. According to the Target.com web site they use IR. Pictures look like IR to me.

Iron Man Copter
http://www.target.com/Interactive-Co...ank&rh=&page=4

Hulk Copter
http://www.target.com/Interactive-Co...ank&rh=&page=4
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
oh the heli's, i thought you meant the planes
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:56 AM
I am the robot of pop...
Lake Chargogagogmanchaugagogchubunagungamaug, Webster, MA
Joined Jan 2008
1,223 Posts
i charge both my apache havoc and my flytech dragonfly with my MXPV charger.... i havent checked the actual voltage, but i did time the charges and they were very close to stock charge times..... so i dont think itll kill your havoc (ive got around 20-30 charges this way), i do it because i have done the AC adapter/Nimh mod, and it saves my TX batteries....

1C is charging at 1/10 the rated battery capacity, so for the MXPV and other 130 mah lipos(or larger) the MXPV charger works fine(i dont remember off hand the exact amperage it uses, but its close enough). the havoc and dragonfly use a 50 mah lipo, so your 1C charger for those would have a really tiny amp draw.... i have not yet seen a mod for lipos this size using a TX mod.....

there are hobby grade charges out there that would probly go that low.... not sure though....

hope this helps!
iamtheroboto is offline Find More Posts by iamtheroboto
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:55 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
if the mini xpv uses a 130mah cell and charges at a 1C charge rate, then you'd still be charging your havocs 50mah cell at over 2C (which is still better than 3C i suppose). there are a few chargers that'll work well for you though, going down to 20mah cells and up to 200mah or more. they're usually not too expensive either.

i have the Transformers version of the hulk and Iron Man helis (its a great little heli actually). it is IR, but the range has always been good enough for indoor flying. the ITC helis wont take any wind at all, so flying them outdoors is nearly impossible anyway.

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Jun 28, 2008, 05:04 AM
Just Say No To GMO
Joined Sep 2007
1,020 Posts
In reality, you can't use the MXPV charger

Well I appreciate the replies but frankly the reality is that you CANNOT use the Mini XPV charger on a Havoc Copter.

The Reason? Because they have two different size connectors. While a "modified" mxpv plug works on every AA plane I have seen, it's to big to fit the Havoc. Which frankly blows chunks, I just got my Apache Havoc and am stuck using 3c. Since I use rechargeable batteries charging at 3c is a real disadvantage and something I was hoping to avoid.

Arrrggh. I hate when I get bad information.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:37 AM
I am the robot of pop...
Lake Chargogagogmanchaugagogchubunagungamaug, Webster, MA
Joined Jan 2008
1,223 Posts
hey Demi.....

theres a bit of plastic on the MXPV charge plug, its held on with one screw.... take the screw off, remove the plastic, and it will fit.....

i learned this after i had already installed a UBI and AA plug.....

the MXPV charge plug WILL work!!!!
iamtheroboto is offline Find More Posts by iamtheroboto