HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:13 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,547 Posts
You're welcome... I am one of those "Brown Santas".
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:50 AM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
I hate to continue to ask questions and offer nothing in return but I have been searching and I can't believe how little literature there is on this. What size/type batteries can I upgrade to? Do I have to stay with the 7.2v 20c? or can I upgrade that? I already planned on a higher mah. Other thing I noticed is it is hard to find sky lipo batteries, every where I look they are sold out.
RCawdor is offline Find More Posts by RCawdor
Last edited by RCawdor; Mar 07, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:56 AM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
You're welcome... I am one of those "Brown Santas".
Oh thank you sir! Always be safe and may the roads be kind to you!
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:15 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,547 Posts
I think any 2S lipo would be fine. Forget sky lipo, get another brand. I use the cheapest ones from ebay and they work so much better than the stock battery. What you have to know is that ESC's are not designed for lipo and will let it discharge till it's unsafe. When you notice the power loss it's too late. You need to use a $2 lipo alarm with a high enough limit so it will go off when the battery gets to no lower than 3.3v. Really this is too low. But this is what I do. The little lipo alarms plug into the balance port. Something like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Lipo-Li...item2a382a3b91
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:27 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Brown Santas rule!
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A little about me.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
So as long as I keep it 7.2 I am good? I will get that buzzer as well.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:05 PM
oh that guy
Joined Sep 2012
135 Posts
I have had a lot of luck with zippy lipo batteries. They are cost effective too. First mod you should do is switch out to all Deans plugs or Traxxas plugs. Also ditch the stock esc as soon as you are able to for a lipo ready one. The stock one doesn't seem to last. Holmes Hobbies sells good ones that are cost effective for example.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance View Post
I have had a lot of luck with zippy lipo batteries. They are cost effective too. First mod you should do is switch out to all Deans plugs or Traxxas plugs. Also ditch the stock esc as soon as you are able to for a lipo ready one. The stock one doesn't seem to last. Holmes Hobbies sells good ones that are cost effective for example.
I found an adapter to go from the female banana 4.0 plug to male tamiya. Most of the battery packs i am seeing on Amazon and Ebay have the tamiya plug end. Unless you all believe/experienced this plug type to be problematic I plan on going this route.

I found this for the ESC upgrade eZRun-35A-RC ESC for Rock Crawler .

I am going to start off slow with my upgrades. I plan on mostly doing upgrades I found others doing in the MaxStone 10 build logs, Such as the foam cutting, re position of links and suspension, grease the diffs, water proof what is not (at least the best I can), and whatever else I come across. As parts break I plan on replacing with nice upgraded parts versus stock. The tires I plan on replacing right away though. I just haven't completely settled on a set. I am looking at these atm: Venom Beadlocks Switch Back 2.2, Hot Bodies HB 2.2 Rover Tires Blue Dot or Losi 2.2 Comp Claws Tires

I think I will get an extra set of rims as well so I can swap out the stock ones for mudding/driveway and use the others I plan on purchasing for actual rock crawling and what not. I live next to many gravel pits. Even have one on my back 40
Last edited by RCawdor; Mar 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2014
20 Posts
Is this tire glue I am reading about really a needed item?

Ok so what I am reading is the glue MAY be needed if you are not using bead lock rings.
Last edited by RCawdor; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM.