HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:13 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2009
53 Posts
Discussion
Excellent flying location in Vancouver (Garden City Lands)

Hey folks,

I found this place, it's a piece of farm land that is kept by the community of Richmond, BC. It's basically very short shrubs and some grass. And it's public space. It's so huge, about 750mx750m, so it's amazing for even the larger models, I wouldn't fly nitro/gas there though. I have been flying there for a couple of times now and I was wondering if someone else does the same. UNTIL: two weeks ago, I was flying a new model, and I broke a prop, and it hit me, there might be evidence of someone else flying here, a prop, a wire, a piece of foam... And only a few minutes passed until my fiancee spotted a proken prop (that is not mine of course).

The place is called "Garden City Lands". I would love to meet other people who fly there too.
andrewboktor is offline Find More Posts by andrewboktor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:51 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Great find, I live in south Vancouver and until recently was using the Honda field(off Jacombs in Richmond)but half the field is now being re-worked and fenced. Will check your new found field soon!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Apr 08, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
I know which one that you are talking about, I was thinking to fly there but the the guy I met at the hobby store said that place is too close airport, may not be a good idea.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Apr 08, 2013, 07:43 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2009
53 Posts
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Garde...anada&t=h&z=17 I found the east entry to the place much better since there tends to be pools of water around the west entry (the entry itself are fine as well as the tiny gravel road, but around them the land is low enough for water to pool there.) Also there is a softer kind of plants around the east entry which are great for landing.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 07:49 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
I know which one that you are talking about, I was thinking to fly there but the the guy I met at the hobby store said that place is too close airport, may not be a good idea.

Edmond
It's about 3km from the airport. I definitely wouldn't fly any nitro/gas powered models there. But when the model you're flying is half the size and 10 times lower than the eagle that's flying overhead, I think you're good. p.s. those are not exagerations, we have spotted huge bald eagles flying around. Mainly because of the forested lands around. The two blocks east of this one are just forest, one belongs to Dept. National Defence and the other is a nature park.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,888 Posts
DOT ....enforced... Maximum Building height in Landsdowne area is 170'... Flight path area rules.
Notice how the buildings all look like they were sliced off flat ?
Suggest keeping your toys well below that, unless you want surprise visitors :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Bare

A few years ago a full size twin engines plane crashed into a condo tower in Richmond, the airport is nearby but the flight pattern of landing planes is further north along river road!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Apr 09, 2013, 10:39 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,888 Posts
Not directly in the flight path only, ' Vicinity of Airport' height restriction area .
Doesn't need to be directly en route to a runway. There is a huge swath that's restricted.
Again, check out a few of those buildings. If within it, they . Must.. meet the 170' max height restriction . I designed a couple ..there are serious rules, with the weight of Federal regulation/enforcement. Ditchmond municipality has no jurisdiction on this.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare