Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:20 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
1st,

I wouldn't use the BS HK thrust numbers... your results WILL vary.

The 5K ISN'T making 90g of thrust @ 3.7V. That's 4.2V, and it probably only makes that for a few seconds and 4.5 amps is Yikes for little batteries.

If you run 2S, you could throttle the Max volts to 6V Equivalent which will give you about 70g of thrust each @ 2Amps or 4 Amps total.

A single 2S, 300-500 MAh should be able to support this, even a $3 one.
Thanks, but would a 5000kv with a 600mah 1s run as long as a 3000kv with a 300mah 2s?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Also I cant get my esc to work with my AS3X brick again

Im using the xp-7a, it has a BEC, but only passes 1s voltage straight through (tested with a voltmeter) so Im not using a diode.

Te ESC is getting a signal, but wont operate the motor, only goes into programming mode when I move the stick around.

1 1s lipo powers everything (AS3X RX and ESC)

I have tried some different mixes but to no avail:

THRO -> GEAR
D +100% U+100%

also...

D +0% U+100%
D +100% U+0%
D -100% U-100%

Again it works perfectly with the ORX????

Any ideas?
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:50 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Thanks, but would a 5000kv with a 600mah 1s run as long as a 3000kv with a 300mah 2s?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Also I cant get my esc to work with my AS3X brick again

Im using the xp-7a, it has a BEC, but only passes 1s voltage straight through (tested with a voltmeter) so Im not using a diode.

Te ESC is getting a signal, but wont operate the motor, only goes into programming mode when I move the stick around.

1 1s lipo powers everything (AS3X RX and ESC)

I have tried some different mixes but to no avail:

THRO -> GEAR
D +100% U+100%

also...

D +0% U+100%
D +100% U+0%
D -100% U-100%

Again it works perfectly with the ORX????

Any ideas?
Have you tried your gear switch in both positions? It won't arm if it doesn't see 0% signal
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:49 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
when a lipo cell is under load, it can be discharged to a voltage of 3.0 volts. the nominal cutoff on all parkzone bricks is 3.2 volts under load, the damage occurs when it gets below 3.0 so it should never damage the cells with the normal brick receivers. you might hit that lvc and then only recharge 80% capacity back into the cells because you were running them at a high C rating and they reached the end of the power curve earlier than a lighter load would have.

There was a time when that was true, but with today's better batteries, the "under load" voltage is no longer a dependable way to determine flight time.

The "under load" voltage of a cell is determined by two things, Its "C" rating (basically, internal resistance) and the load you put on it (amps) The closer the load you are putting on it is to its C rating, the lower the voltage will dip. Take two batteries,a 35C pack and a 14C pack, both with the same capacity, and put them both under the same load, and the 35C pack will sustain a higher voltage the entire time, compared to the 14C pack. What that means is that if the 14C pack hits 3 volts when its at 80% capacity, then the 35C pack will be WAY below 80% capacity by the time it hits 3 volts...

Put another way, if you have a battery that is rated to deliver 3 amps, and you draw 3 amps out of it, it will get warm pretty fast, and hit 3 volts with plenty of capacity left. On the other hand, if you use a battery rated to deliver 15 amps, it can easily deliver the three amps you are asking it for, so it will stay cooler, and keep its voltage higher per mah used, and you will have used much more capacity by the time it hits 3 volts....

The only reliable way to determine how long you can fly, is to determine your amp draw, and time your flights. this is what e-flight/blade/parkzone now gives you suggested flight times in their manuals, they have already done the work of determining amp draw and figuring how long is safe to fly.

The LVC is there as a last resort backup in case you space out or forget to set a timer. If you want to use the LVC as your "time to land" alarm, you need to use crappy batteries, or you will ruin them.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:18 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Have you tried your gear switch in both positions? It won't arm if it doesn't see 0% signal
Thanks turns out it was the switch,

However I dont think im getting full throttle from the gear ch, I plugged it into the ORX in the throttle ch and I could hear it revving much higher.

Also the throttle range begins at half stick, so I set the travel adjust to 73% (GEAR) which allows the throttle to kick in as soon as you move the throttle stick.

I am totally lost trying to set this up. If there's anyone out here that has successfully mixed throttle to the gear channel in the past, would you be so kind as to share your settings.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:22 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Thanks turns out it was the switch,

However I dont think im getting full throttle from the gear ch, I plugged it into the ORX in the throttle ch and I could hear it revving much higher.

Also the throttle range begins at half stick, so I set the travel adjust to 73% (GEAR) which allows the throttle to kick in as soon as you move the throttle stick.

I am totally lost trying to set this up. If there's anyone out here that has successfully mixed throttle to the gear channel in the past, would you be so kind as to share your settings.
You probably need to set your Gear channel to go from 0% to 0% on the endpoint adjust so the throttle mix will be the full amount because when it mixes the two together it normalizes to 0%-100%. At least that is what I would try as I have seen that in other cases when I have done mixes
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:44 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
You probably need to set your Gear channel to go from 0% to 0% on the endpoint adjust so the throttle mix will be the full amount because when it mixes the two together it normalizes to 0%-100%. At least that is what I would try as I have seen that in other cases when I have done mixes
Doesnt work, I gave up on the Gear ch and tried with the flap ch on my ORX, BINGO! Full range of throttle

So I went to setup my AS3X brick in the same way, but it was set for dual ailerons So I attempted to reprogram it to flaps, but now it wont allow me to reprogram it again.

It seems like you can only reprogram these PZ bricks 5-10 times, any more than that they seem to lock up with whatever programming you already have with it

It happened to my mosquito brick (which is now useless, its stuck in the non existent BL mode, with the crapola xport activated), and now my brand new AS3X board

I am doing every thing by the book, all the switches are neutral, nothings reversed, and theres no mixing

EDIT: Phewff, I finally got the bastard to change to the flap ch, and everything works perfectly now The only thing I did differently was have a smoke, maybe it needed the 5 min pause between attempts

I still cant get the mosquito brick to work though
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Jul 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
It seems like you can only reprogram these PZ bricks 5-10 times, any more than that they seem to lock up with whatever programming you already have with it
Reset the Tx Memory Slot and then rebind the brick.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:17 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Reset the Tx Memory Slot and then rebind the brick.
Tried that 5 times with the mosquito brick to no avail

I got the spitfire brick to work after giving it a rest for 5 mins

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

So my first AP05 5000kV build is finished with the second already on the way

Here are the specs:

Wingspan: 370mm
Length: 320mm
Weight: 37g (with AP05, 7a ESC, 2x 1.7g servos, AS3X Spitfire RX, linkages and stickers, but without the LIPO)
Thrust: 75g static (with AP05 5000kV on 1s)
Airfoil: KFm2

Build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post24085882

Here's my next project

Some more info on the P-38 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3574
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 09, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:21 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,295 Posts
Valiant have you used the hextronik 5 gram out runner 2000kv? I have one I'm planning a retrofit into a mini-air (nitroplanes) p-51, wanted to know if you (or anyone else) has had any experience with it.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:38 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
No, I havent. I would strongly recommend the AP05 3000kv though. Its a bit more expensive but, its better quality and pushes more thrust.

hex 5g: unloaded @ 8.4v = 16,800RPM
AP05 3000kv: unloaded @ 8.4v = 25,200RPM

I guess which one you choose depends on your prop size, 5030 for the AP05, but I dare say that the hex could handle a larger prop.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:26 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
Behove, I had standardised on the HK 5g with 180 2cell until the APO5 5000. The HK on 2 cell is equivalent to the apo5 on 1 cell. Aprox 70 grams thrust.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined May 2012
8,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Behove, I had standardised on the HK 5g with 180 2cell until the APO5 5000. The HK on 2 cell is equivalent to the apo5 on 1 cell. Aprox 70 grams thrust.
JCS
Great, I am planning on using 2s since I have many many e-flite batteries for my UMX planes. What prop were you running? The suggested is 4x2.5. Will it handle a 5030?

Thanks miata.

~Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
You need the AP05 3000Kv for 2s, 5030 is the recommended prop

The 5030 is also recommended for the 5000Kv version, but its only suited to 1s (2s if you reduce your throttle settings)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined May 2012
8,295 Posts
Quote:
You need the AP05 3000Kv for 2s, 5030 is the recommended prop

The 5030 is also recommended for the 5000Kv version, but its only suited to 1s (2s if you reduce your throttle settings)
I already have the hextronik 5g, and I'm not going to place another order for quite some time to get the AP05. When I ordered the hextronik 5g, the AP05 was out of stock. The 5g is rated for 7.4v as well but not many amps; I just need to know how to prop it so I don't fry the motor. I have a tiny turnigy 6A esc going in the plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Sorry I misinterpreted your question

EDIT: Im just about to put a brand new (sealed in package) 3000kv on ebay, but I suspect it will cost too much for an American Stuff over here goes for like 3x what HK wants for em

Im selling it because mirconradiocontrol stuffed up my order Instead of 3x 5000kv I got 2 and 1 3000kv. Everytime I order from them they stuff something up, I doubled my prop collection by ordering from them (They always send me the wrong props, but I'd complain then they'd sent me the right ones)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM.