HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2013, 09:45 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Glenn - Looks awesome, sorry you have to redo that rigging! It will be worth it though, it is just too nice a looking plane to be a hanger queen. Hope you get it resolved soon.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2013, 10:28 AM
United Kingdom, Windsor and Maidenhead
Joined Mar 2013
161 Posts
that is nice!!!!!

angelix is offline Find More Posts by angelix
Old May 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
Glenn,

I went through a similar situation and it turned out that excessive positive incidence was at fault. Nothing looks sillier than a micro with 15* of downthrust!

Kody
Very nice looking camel. I just need to see it flying.
I agree with Kody but there are more things to consider.

I think wing incidence is depending on targeted speed of model.
Personally, I target my model speed as slow as possible for scale speed and indoor flying.
If wing incidence is too low at low speed, airplane needs to fly at high alpha position like 'Harrier' which looks awkward and draggy for scale ww1 airplane.
but side effect of high positive incidence is, as Kody mentioned, excessive pitching up at high throttle. An over powered prop may cause this problem more prominent.

I couldn't find any miracle solution to have positive characteristics of both low incidence and high incidence unless implementing variable wing incidence. My preference is slightly high positive incidence for correct fuselage attitude at scale speed and avoiding excessive throttle or over-powered set up. On the other hand, over powered set up can be easily overcome with proper elevator trim or mixing of throttle and elevator.

And according to short web search, decalage theory on biplane is obsolete as per 1930's NACA study. I keep my lower and upper wing at same incidence for better efficiency.

Very nice looking Camel. I just need to see it flying!
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old May 24, 2013, 12:42 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
My preference is slightly high positive incidence for correct fuselage attitude at scale speed and avoiding excessive throttle or over-powered set up. On the other hand, over powered set up can be easily overcome with proper elevator trim or mixing of throttle and elevator.
Getting the incidence right so that the fuselage is somewhat level can be interesting. I remember that when I had my plane flying at a scale airspeed, the tail was dragging around. I never thought of trying a throttle/elevator mix, though. Great idea!
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old May 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
I agree, I want to trim the model to fly as slowly as possible.
I'll get some video of it here soon.
If the wind is calm tomorrow AM I'll get my granddaughter to shoot some video.
Hopefully it will fly better this time. It did want to fly fast. I hope the incidence change will help that. It did want to pitch up with throttle, but moving the cg helped some.
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old May 27, 2013, 09:23 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
Test flew the model yesterday in less than optimal conditions. Had my 10 yr old grandson video the flight and he did a pretty good job. Was going to post the video here, but what happened to the videos forum? Gone.
Now what? Upload it to youtube? Great, something else to figure out how to do.
Model flew pretty good considering the choppy conditions. I'll know more when I can fly it at the club field and do a bit of cg adjustment. Think I can remove a bit of the nose weight.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Last edited by glewis; May 27, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 02:31 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,738 Posts
Yup, RC groups anounced the departure of the video forum some time ago. Seem most people these days use Youtube or Vimeo
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel