HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:14 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,179 Posts
Luis, You know I will be wanting one of those mini Vtail frames. I have money put aside for it. it will goo good with its big brother.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Luis, I love my 400 so I am with Stuart (tc3wins) I will have to have one of these and I also have funds in reserve for this baby.
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
I got my 500 together last night and tried a few test hovers in the basement. Couldn't get it stable. At first, the default yaw PID rate on the Naze 32 MultiWii was WAY too much. I turned that down, but it's still really unstable. I'm using the Y4 config. Any tips on tuning would be really appreciated!!! Thanks!
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,179 Posts
For some reason the Naze 32 dosn't work well with the V-tail. it works great for Quads and hexas I tried the naze32 for my first board on the V-tail what you need to do is first mount the board with vibration dampners. like the mikrokopter ones. second you can change the gyro LPF in the arduino code to 20 htz as it is set to either 42 or 256 or something like that. all that will help...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Thanks. I'm sure I could sell the Naze easily enough. What are people using on the V-Tail with the best results? I don't need all the bells ans whistles (baro, mag, etc). I'm only sport flying with it. Just hard to beat the cost of the Naze compared to others.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
724 Posts
tc3twins, Rifraf,

I've got a new code base for the Naze32 that does a better job of processing/filtering sensors. I've not tried it on my vtail yet because I'm still waiting for motor and other hardware. It seems to fly well (within my skills) on my quad frame. It oversamples and averages the sensors, uses custom low pass filters. There are 3 different attitude estimators available, I'm currently flying a Kalman filter that runs at 500 Hz. It also has all the latest vtail mixer functions. There is no configurator program, it is setup via a crude CLI interface. If interested in trying it, PM me, I don't want this thread to go off topic.
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,179 Posts
Don't sell the naze 32 you can use on another quad they are great boards. For my V-tail I am using a quadrino with the vtail mixer and it works flawlessly, I have zero issues with it.

But with this new code that jihlein is talking about that might work for ya as well.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined May 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf View Post
I got my 500 together last night and tried a few test hovers in the basement. Couldn't get it stable. At first, the default yaw PID rate on the Naze 32 MultiWii was WAY too much. I turned that down, but it's still really unstable. I'm using the Y4 config. Any tips on tuning would be really appreciated!!! Thanks!
My Naze32 has a V-Tail mode as well as the Y4 mode, have you tried that? I just got the Naze and haven't used it yet, although I'm planning on using to on my mini hunter. But the mode is there when I go to the CLI interface. Mine has the baseflight 20120503 firmware.

-K
kad is offline Find More Posts by kad
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
I think I am running the same base flight. I tried the vtail mode, but it wouldn't arm. I wasn't sure if there was a problem with it. I'll try again. jihlein, I'll give baseflight a chance to see if I get any luck, then I might take you up on getting your code. Honestly, with two kids and planes in the hanger, too, I don't have as much time as I'd like to fiddle with the codes. This is one I'm hoping to just get in the without a lot of fuss... maybe it will just take a while to get it right....
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
743 Posts
Here is the first one...

few minor Issues to work out..

I made it form 1mm G10 ..

the V tail support is 1.5mm and the gear is 1.5mm ( as the smallest tool I cut with is 1/16)

This allows for a good fit..

one "problem" is.. the 1mm sheets.. do not allow the screws to compress..

using.. 1/4 standoffs.. and 3/16 screws from top and bottom..so the G10 is not thick enough..

So solution is.. go to 1.5mm sheets.. or add a small washer..

hmm but I rather like it as it is.. frame.. weight.. G10 part came in at 2.7oz..
I'll put all the screws in it and see what the weight comes in at..

motors I plan to use..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nner_10g_.html

flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:39 AM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh300 View Post
Here is the first one...
using.. 1/4 standoffs.. and 3/16 screws from top and bottom..so the G10 is not thick enough..
Hmm... Converting everything to decimal inches for convenience

.0394 - G10
.2500 - Standoff
.0394 - G10
-------

.375 - 2 x 3/16 Screw

.0462 - Difference

.0462 is just under 3/64" or 1.19mm. Switching to 1.5mm G10 would only add 1mm, so not enough.

My local Lowes (big box home center) sells nylon washers that are .033 thick. A pair of them or similar should give the needed clearance and an entire package of them weighs less than 2 grams. My scale isn't sensitive enough to weigh a single one.

Can't wait to get mine!

-K
Last edited by kad; Jul 28, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
kad
Quad Crasher
Joined May 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Here is the first one...
What is the hole spacing on the FC mounting holes?

-K
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Here is the first one...

few minor Issues to work out..

I made it form 1mm G10 ..

the V tail support is 1.5mm and the gear is 1.5mm ( as the smallest tool I cut with is 1/16)

This allows for a good fit..

hmm but I rather like it as it is.. frame.. weight.. G10 part came in at 2.7oz..
I'll put all the screws in it and see what the weight comes in at..

motors I plan to use..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nner_10g_.html

Omg i want this puppy!
Can't wait to see it flying!
speedmasta is offline Find More Posts by speedmasta
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:28 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,737 Posts
I did it with 30.5mm mounting hole.
The full size version have 45mm mounting and they are real close to the side of the plates.
45mm holes can't fit that small..
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:00 AM
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,179 Posts
Well I e-mail Luis about the mini v-tail a few days ago, but never got any responce. I am figuring he is busy...