Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Swift & 2200 MAH Battery

I just completed my swift using an E-Flite Power 10 and 12g Digital MG servos. Like my smaller (33"?) Yak I filled in the battery hole and put Velcro on the side of the fuse between the LG plate and the hole below the wing. Gives me a correct CG both according to the Instructions and by the way it flys. Very little foreword stick inverted and if I want to move the CG a bit I can mount the batt a little foreword or back. You just have to use Velcro as wide as the battery to keep it secured in the snaps. I think I'll put a strap through the fuse and around the batt. I've already lost one batt in a bean field. Fortunately it was an old one!

D.H.
DaveHickey is offline Find More Posts by DaveHickey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2013, 06:44 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,232 Posts
Re: batt. lost in bean field, I have mine in the stock location. After thrashing the plane around for a bit the other evening, I noticed something not quite right, and brought the plane around for a closer look. The battery was hanging by it's wires! Apparently the Velcro strap let go and out she came! Thankfully the connectors were tight enough to hold on and allow me to land....

Regarding the Velcro mounting you're describing, using that much Velcro to hold the battery, doesn't that make it a PIA to swap out batteries? -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Sep 07, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,556 Posts
Another good morning of 3D ing around ,,Winds calm,No bugs going in ears and up nose
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Swift 2200MAH battery

Well I got my Swift repaired after losing the battery and went flying today. I used batteries with full width and length Velcro so I wouldn't lose the battery again.

Well it didn't work. This time I lost a battery over the field so I lose the battery but she went in nose first and snapped off the nose at the firewall. I wasn't even doing anything sudden, was in a turn around when I dropped a battery bomb.

I have the nose reattached again but I'm going to have to spend some time shimming the motor till it's strait. I'm not flying this one again until backup the Velcro on the fuse side with a strap that goes through the fuse side and secures the battery IN ADDITION to the Velcro!. Maybe that way I can keep the battery attached. Otherwise I'm going to have to add a backup radio battery and pack a parachute with every LiPo!

D.H.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,232 Posts
This sounds a lot like some of the lessons I've learned the hard way!

Hang in there!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Swift

Got out again last night and flew the Swift. My shimming the motor straight after having to glue the front back on seems to have worked well and the Velcro strap around the batteries in addition to the strips on the fuse and Batt seems to do the trick. No more battery Bomb drops!

It was glass smooth last night, a beautiful evening. I'm really impressed with the Swift. It flies beautifully at low throttle and I think I'm finally getting the knack of low slow aerobatics. I might even live long enough to learn how to hover! Watching this plane fly is just majestic. At this rate it may even displace my 32" HK/Techone Yak as my favorite airplane to fly

Now all I have to do is stiffen the rudder with some carbon fiber rod. Now the rudder is just springy enough that the digital servo and it hit a harmonic and the rudder will just sit there flapping like a Salmon swimming upstream!

D.H.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,556 Posts
SWIFT EASY FLYING (6 min 21 sec)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,556 Posts
SWIFT More EASY GREASY FLYING (5 min 33 sec)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Jul 2010
63 Posts
Swift w/Oscillating rudder

Ok, so I installed two pieces of carbon fiber rod in the rudder so it won't bend horizontally and glued a strip of CF just behind the hinge line to stiffen the rudder vertically. It helps a bit.

Now I see that the major problem is that the rear of the fuse is flexing when the digital servo tries to center the rudder and it still sits there and oscillates.

Have any of you had a similar problem with the Swift? I'm wondering whether I should glue some CF rods along the rear bottom of the fuse or just try an analogue servo and hope that the lower torque around centering will break the harmonics.

This doesn't seem to be a problem in flight, flies steady with no hunting in yaw but when it is sitting on the ground it wiggles like a fishes tail.

D.H.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:35 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHickey View Post
Ok, so I installed two pieces of carbon fiber rod in the rudder so it won't bend horizontally and glued a strip of CF just behind the hinge line to stiffen the rudder vertically. It helps a bit.

Now I see that the major problem is that the rear of the fuse is flexing when the digital servo tries to center the rudder and it still sits there and oscillates.

Have any of you had a similar problem with the Swift? I'm wondering whether I should glue some CF rods along the rear bottom of the fuse or just try an analogue servo and hope that the lower torque around centering will break the harmonics.

This doesn't seem to be a problem in flight, flies steady with no hunting in yaw but when it is sitting on the ground it wiggles like a fishes tail.

D.H.
Seems like your answer there?

I don't pay any extra or search out digital servos for these things. They fly great, but the foam doesn't offer the rigid platform the more expensive servos need to center well?

I think one of the reasons, something I'll change when building my next one (soon) is the main upper carbon fiber reinforcements don't extend to the rear far enough. Not only does that allow the tail to move around/flex there (between where it ends and the horizontal stabilizer), that's right where it's going to break off on a hard hit. The fuse will break in half right there! I brought mine home the last time I flew (a couple days ago) and the only thing holding the tail on were the elevator and rudder control rods.

So my plan will be to extend or replace that one and the lower one that's not near long enough either. Not for the abuse my plane's getting anyway....

Of note is the fact the early design Techone Yak 1100 that HK sells uses much longer carbon fiber rods, with the upper extending well beyond the leading edge of the horizontal stab. -Al
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
Quote:

D.H.
It's not too uncommon for some servos, especially digital ones to flop around when centered. If you add a bit of resistance to the servo/hinge, it usually goes away. You could add some tape or hot glue to the hinge to stiffen it a tad or just live with it like I usually do.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Quote:

D.H.
I have the exact same condition with Corona digital 939's. In slow KE the flex and some oscilation is visible. Actually, the flex can be alarming at times, but it still flys in the direction I point it and is a hoot to fly.
IronRotor is offline Find More Posts by IronRotor
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRotor View Post
I have the exact same condition with Corona digital 939's. In slow KE the flex and some oscilation is visible. Actually, the flex can be alarming at times, but it still flys in the direction I point it and is a hoot to fly.

Exactly!!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,556 Posts
The weather here has been GREAT for the last month..Light breez to NO wind almost every day,SO step out back door and fly till the chickens go to roost,( neighbor has chickens and horses) My go to plane because it has a 4 ft wingspan and can be flown in tight places super slow Later
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,556 Posts
Have been flying Swift with 1300 batt. Plane flys so SLOW ,Grandma and her WALKER is faster..Went up about 200ft ,shut off motor in a light breez,Elevatored down like a leaf.Had time to eat 2pcs of chicken and drink a small tea.................