HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2014, 03:33 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,265 Posts
Great result.

I'd go the balsa if you want a light wing and you will get a better Finnish ( smoother) as just the 75g will follow the contured surface of the cork.
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 04:40 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
I'm glad you reported that Tim. I was going to email you if otherwise.
Ok. 1mm balsa it is.
I'll keep the cork for my heavier builds.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 04:02 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Wings ready to go into the hot box.

I have the light pair of wings in the moulds now, ready to go into the hotbox this morning. I did take a video of the layup of the skins, however, I set the camera on 14m
instead of 2m (web) format size! As a result, it will not play smoothly on my computer. Too bad, I'll try again next wing or tail layup.
Anyway, some details are:
Outer layer 76 gsm, 1mm light balsa cores, ailerons only with the servos glued in before joining up the two halves. First time I've done this, but will be good if all goes ok. I've reinforced the area where a hatch will be cut in the event that something goes wrong and I have to access the servo.
Inner layer 50 gsm glass.
Some uni-carbon in the aileron TE and light Uni-carbon spar caps. 3 layers staggered in length. End grain balsa shear web. 76 gsm kevlar hinges.
I'm hoping for weight out of the moulds at less then 200 grams each.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:35 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Good result.

The wings were in the hot box for 24 hours. First 18 hours, the temp was gradually raised to 45 deg C. Then the last 6 hours temp @ 50deg. C. Then cooled down progressively as usual.
I released them from the mould yesterday, which turned out to be a week since they were closed up. Easy release - the moulds are now nice and seasoned.
After trimming, the right wing weighed in at 225 grams and the left at 231 grams.
They have the servos in already (glued in before joining) with the wiring and plug, so this is a very good result. Without them, the wing itself would only constitute about 200 each. Nice! This light layup feels nice and stiff, the ailerons are stiff and the hinges worked out nicely. All they need now is the wipers fitted and then some paint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2014, 09:30 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,235 Posts
well done Jim- you've got it sorted out now! what do you use for release agent? Every time I do primer only parts I get semi stick up, where some of the paint stays in the mould. I find top coats release much easier, just wax only.
Cheers Jim.
Josh
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:17 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
..........what do you use for release agent? Every time I do primer only parts I get semi stick up, where some of the paint stays in the mould. ................................
Cheers Jim.
Josh
Josh,
I use wax only. It some PLP8 wax I got from a local fibreglasser and is no longer available due to a factory fire. I will need to choose a replacement sometime soon.
I suspect there is some incompatibility with the wax you are using and the primer.
Do you allow some time for the solvents to flash off before painting?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 02:14 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson View Post
Josh,
I use wax only. It some PLP8 wax I got from a local fibreglasser and is no longer available due to a factory fire. I will need to choose a replacement sometime soon.
I suspect there is some incompatibility with the wax you are using and the primer.
Do you allow some time for the solvents to flash off before painting?
When I stopped using the PLP10 I had, I went with the Meguiars mirror glaze 8 which works very well. Personally I prefer it to the TR waxes i've tried.
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jun 27, 2014, 02:15 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Where do you buy that Ben?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 02:39 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
Cg Composites sells it. Being local it's pretty much were I get most of my supplies.
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:34 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
I pulled a couple of nice tail surfaces out of the moulds tonight after a couple of days in the hot box. They are the best I've made; a bit heavier than previously, but a better job.
Post curing of the Araldite LC3600 resin sure makes a difference to the hardness of the laminate. Well worth the effort.
I'm now using my new 2 mtr long insulated hot box that I made for my Entropy project. It's so well insulated that I took all day to cool down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:08 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Light model.

The lightweight four servo model is now almost ready for painting. With a 5 cell AAA battery pack (which will probably do the job), it is around 1000 grams. That will mean after painting it will be around 1080 or so at a guess. Wing loading of around 40 - 43 g/sq.dm. Nice.
I will get this one painted and flying and report the results here.
After that, I will probably retire this thread. It has come a long way, but just about run out of fresh information to report.

What happens to old thread? Do they just fade into oblivion? Or are they taken off the forums?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:17 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
That looks awesome Jim.....nice work!

Old threads just slide further down the list until someone adds a post or "bumps" them back to the top. But they are still there, available to be searched and referenced. I've got all sorts of old threads bookmarked....techniques or designs I hope to use "some day".
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:17 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,553 Posts
Thanks Jim; I'm glad you are still keeping a "weather eye" on this thread!
I'm very happy with this one; it has taken me many fuses to get one that is approaching the ok standard; this one had some defects, but repairable ones. I'm sure the next one will be quite a lot better again. Practice makes for improvement if not perfection.

As for the thread, I will leave it up for reference. After all, a lot has gone into it both from me and subscribers like yourself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:17 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,975 Posts
Something unique about the droop of the fuse, the wing fillet.....I dig it
Looking forward to seeing more photos/vids of her in the air at the upcoming Manilla fest

Even if you choose to close the thread, it will still be searchable and readable...just no one will be able to add new posts.

My project is still grounded for lack of friendly slopes anywhere nearby. I may just toss her from one of the "any mistake is fatal" slopes....not the best choice for a maiden, but it's all I've got here.
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; Jul 26, 2014 at 05:28 PM.