HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
blade msr won't throttle

I bought a used msr from craigslist. I charged the batteries to full. I performed the binding process:

1) adjust throttle trim to lowest, put rudder trim to middle (long beep)
2) turn off msr and radio
3) insert battery in msr - wait until rapid blinking of led
4) put radio 3 feet away
5) put push down left stick (click) and turn on transmitter
6) wait until rapid blinking stops -- went into slow blink mode
7) release left stick and move throttle to off position

This still didn't work.

I'm initializing properly:

1) turn on transmitter first (at least 2 feet away), wait 5 seconds
2) insert battery into msr
3) wait another 5 seconds
4) led goes solid briefly, but then slow blinks

The manual says that the led should be solid, not blinking. But after multiple attempts at rebinding and initializing, I still get the slow led blink and no throttle control. All of the other controls work and are moving the swash plate exactly as indicated in the manual, except the throttle.

I plan to give a call to e-flite, but they will be closed until Tuesday, so I was hoping to get some ideas and get it running before then.

Any ideas on what could possibly be the problem?
aethyr is offline Find More Posts by aethyr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 10:37 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,388 Posts
It sounds like a bad mainboard but try holding the throttle stick in the lowest position when you push it in and then turn the TX on in Bind Mode.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old May 29, 2010, 10:47 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
If it's moving the servos, it's as bound as it's going to get. Confirm status of THR RVS set to NORMAL.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 29, 2010, 10:59 PM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
It sounds like a bad mainboard but try holding the throttle stick in the lowest position when you push it in and then turn the TX on in Bind Mode.

Don
Didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
If it's moving the servos, it's as bound as it's going to get. Confirm status of THR RVS set to NORMAL.
How do I confirm status of THR RVS?
Old May 30, 2010, 12:55 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Quote:
How do I confirm status of THR RVS?
I am not able to locate precise data on MLP4DSM, such as how or even whether it is possible to reverse control functions. Nor can I imagine why the previous owner might have reversed THR. On some transmitters, RVS is a front panel switch that can get inadvertently flipped, but this may not be the case with MLP4DSM.

Nothing else to suggest except calling Horizon when they reopen.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Gah. I kept trying to re-initialize, over and over. Finally got it give a steady, unblinking led. I held the msr in my hand and operated the throttle...it worked. But then not. The tail rotor wasn't spinning and the led would go off and the servos would become unresponsive, but the motor would sort of keep spinning at status quo, but without much power. Then the led would light up again and I could feel a sudden jerk in motor power and could feel the msr wanting to lift out of my grasp, but then the led would die again and back to unresponsive mode.

Then after a while of this, the radio started beeping at me and blinking its led. I thought maybe batteries low, so I got a fresh set and thought maybe I should re-bind. I tried it, but during binding, the motor tried to start and jerked the msr (which was on its side during binding) and I panicked and shut-off the radio, which I think messed up binding.

So I tried rebinding again. But now...it won't even bind. The msr sits there with a fast led blink and no matter how many times, it won't even bind.

Is it possible the LiPOs are bad? I tried both of them to no avail. And I charged them to full using charger it came with. Now I'm also concerned that if the batteries are good, I'm forced to store them at 100% charge and I have no way of bring down their charges and thus harming them permanently. Gah.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:46 AM
Oops!
United States, CO, Florence
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
Make sure you're antenna isn't broke and also see if there is a crack on the 5 in 1 as per Hydro Pyro's post.
beevous80002 is offline Find More Posts by beevous80002
Old May 30, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beevous80002 View Post
Make sure you're antenna isn't broke and also see if there is a crack on the 5 in 1 as per Hydro Pyro's post.
Antenna isn't broken. Hydro Pyro didn't post in this thread
Old May 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
Oops!
United States, CO, Florence
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
Try this,4th one down.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...post14822663:D
beevous80002 is offline Find More Posts by beevous80002
Old May 30, 2010, 12:59 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
I've got an Esky RX that does something like that. It's just plain fubar.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:43 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,388 Posts
The constant inability to hold bind shows that the mainboard is gone. You have two choices. Contact Horizon or replace it at your cost. They may send one to you so it is worth the free call to them.

Now, as to changing directions of the servos (inculding throttle and rudder), you have the two buttons that act as the trim tabs in normal operation. If one of them is held while powering up the transmitter (only can be done one per power-up), it will either change the direction of the stick travel or keep it the same. You can easily do this on the elevator/aileron channel and see the immediate change. In the manual for the mSR, there is information that confirms that the travel direction can be changed even on the little 4 channel DSM2 radios. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old May 31, 2010, 04:22 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
Check the lower-left corner of this chip for a small crack in the epoxy around the perimeter like this one has. This seems to be the weak link in the board during crashes. The resulting solder joint crack causes this exact problem. I have the special honor of having wrecked three 5-in-1 boards in this fashion.
I'll BET yours looks like this one...

Here's another, showing where the crack typically develops during a strong impact...

hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. There was no crack that I could see.

I called Horizon just now and they are sending a free replacement 5-in-1 board. This was even after I told them I bought the msr used. Basically it could or couldn't have been out of warranty - he didn't even check and said as a one time courtesy, he would send out a replacement board for free!

Now that is awesome service.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
Did the new main board correct the problem? I just had a bit of rough landing with my MSR and am getting the same issue. No throttle, but servos react, slow blinking LED almost as if when the MSR runs out of battery power. Using a brand new DX7. There are no cracks on the board, nothing broke on the chopper either :\

edit: Ok, so one of the main motor plug sauders did crack. Will get a new main board tomorrow.
Mik3Lit3 is offline Find More Posts by Mik3Lit3
Last edited by Mik3Lit3; Sep 07, 2010 at 09:57 PM.