Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:56 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG97322 View Post
Packard,
Is it not true that the original publisher of MB passed away in 2012? Where does that leave the copy rights to MB. AFAIK copy rights don't transfer to next-of-kin, do they?
Just a few thoughts...
George, as you probably know, 3 or 4 years ago, Roland Friestad, the editor of SAM Speaks US and general plans "good guy", scanned the entire content of Model Builder and offered it all on 2 DVDs, which he sold, and I think still sells, for $75.

I purchased Roland's DVDs. I'm very glad I did and I consider them great value for the price (the entire content of Model Builder... around 30-odd thousand pages, for $75!!!). My copy has a security lock which allows you to print, but not copy digitally (seems normal to me!).

AFAIK, Roland is the only person actually selling MB material today, so it's possible that the RCG may have been intimidated by Roland... (this is only my uninformed reasoning...).
I don't know whether printed plans can still be obtained from Bill Northrop's widow, and even if that were the case, it seems unlikely that she would be indulging in doubtfully legal intimidation exercises!

Now, it could be argued that Roland obviously has the copyright of his own DVDs, but perhaps not for material taken directly from a MB magazine...
I don't know...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:34 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Just a few thoughts...
George, as you probably know, 3 or 4 years ago, Roland Friestad, the editor of SAM Speaks US and general plans "good guy", scanned the entire content of Model Builder and offered it all on 2 DVDs, which he sold, and I think still sells, for $75.

I purchased Roland's DVDs. I'm very glad I did and I consider them great value for the price (the entire content of Model Builder... around 30-odd thousand pages, for $75!!!). My copy has a security lock which allows you to print, but not copy digitally (seems normal to me!).

AFAIK, Roland is the only person actually selling MB material today, so it's possible that the RCG may have been intimidated by Roland... (this is only my uninformed reasoning...).
I don't know whether printed plans can still be obtained from Bill Northrop's widow, and even if that were the case, it seems unlikely that she would be indulging in doubtfully legal intimidation exercises!

Now, it could be argued that Roland obviously has the copyright of his own DVDs, but perhaps not for material taken directly from a MB magazine...
I don't know...
Well if it is Roland there's probably more of this coming since he's in the process of scanning a lot more of the old mags, FM, MAN, Flying Aces etc.
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:40 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Well if it is Roland there's probably more of this coming since he's in the process of scanning a lot more of the old mags, FM, MAN, Flying Aces etc.
Yeah scrubs. Actually I don't really have an opinion (and even less knowledge!).
I find it normal that we should exchange all this old modelling stuff on the Web, but I also find it normal that Roland (if he actually is involved) should be properly rewarded for a great service provided (not many of us would be capable of scanning 30k pages!).
I think we've gotten too much into "copyright theory", which may (or may not) be valid in the States, but is clearly meaningless when applied to a few old model plans that may be stored or offered between private individuals anywhere on the planet.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:11 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,267 Posts
I dealt with Roland many years ago. He seemed to be thinking ahead of his time back then. He was just begining to scan plans back then. He obviously saw the $$ in what could be done. Wide format scanners were very spendy back then too. He scanned two pages out of a MAN article for me (I never have used them either). What you are seeing now is that thought and work coming to fruition. Not sure about copy right issues with his work or issues with what he is digitizing. Our copy right laws do seem vague and only detailed when (as others have put it) the Judge bangs the gavel down.

Ragalfart, I thought this was the other thread. I have not seen much action on the plans thread

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
265 Posts
Quote:

Ragalfart, I thought this was the other thread. I have not seen much action on the plans thread

George
It is George and happy to see the discussion move ahead
And like you would be happier to see some more plans posted.
I'll make an effort to post a plan next week.
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:15 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Packard,

Is it not true that the original publisher of MB passed away in 2012? Where does that leave the copy rights to MB. AFAIK copy rights don't transfer to next-of-kin, do they?
Copyright does indeed transfer to next of kin by the same mechanism/laws as physical property - meaning it goes to one person (or trust or organization), not the entire family. That's why copyright lasts 70 years + the life of the creator. That's right, copyright expires 70 years AFTER the creator dies.

For works created by a team or group of people where it is assigned to a non-person (corporations or organizations) then it lasts for 120 years.

Most people blame Disney for lobbying for numerous copyright extensions but families of musicians, especially big rock stars, were also involved in the lobbying effort in lots of countries. A corporation like Disney or Warner would probably not care too much about individual copyrights since they're already covered by the 120 years corporate copyright but families of dead rock stars certainly do.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:27 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Quote:
The arguement topic for anything not related to posting plans
Wait a minute! ANYTHING???? That could mean trouble. Anyone want to take bets on how long before Godwin's Law kicks in and ruins the thread? (No, don't go all meta on me. Mentioning Godwin doesn't count.)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:04 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart View Post
Fortunately Outerzone seems to be 100% free of any discussion re copyright.
Probably because there's no forum.
Just a point, I've pointed out to the Outerzone owner a couple of his plans that were still in production by folks and he's pulled them to prevent a conflict with the current owners.

MTC YMMV.

I have a friend who paid the large sum of money for the rights to legally sell RC plans.

Do any of you feel he is being robbed of income when someone else, who doesn't own the rights to those plans makes copies and in turn sells those bootlegged copies?
Majortomski is online now Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:31 AM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Hi All,
From what I've heard and been told Roland is not involved in this mess. It started with Anita Northrop.
One Cut is offline Find More Posts by One Cut
Old Mar 07, 2014, 07:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,396 Posts
Majortomski stated/asked:

1. "... I've pointed out to the Outerzone owner a couple of his plans that were still in production by folks and he's pulled them to prevent a conflict with the current owners."

2. "I have a friend who paid the large sum of money for the rights to legally sell RC plans."

3. "Do any of you feel he is being robbed of income when someone else, who doesn't own the rights to those plans makes copies and in turn sells those bootlegged copies?"

This is not a mess. It is a QUAGMIRE. We have no consensus or reference we can all fall back on, for a dependable understanding.

Not to pick on Majortomski, here, but (1.) How do we know "still in production" somehow equates with current copyright protection? Is it a legitimate benchmark? Is there a difference between kit with plan production vs periodical which contain a plan??

(2) How can we automatically assume that your friend bought said rights legally?? It is quite possible he actually paid for those rights, but the wider world knows no more about his claims, than we do for the originator of the work.

(3) Definitely feel he's being robbed, IF is claim can be upheld. But we're not privy to a valid receipt or court order yet, and you or I cannot go to court for him.

THE problem is public opinion is not a court, with legally binding declarations. Copyright only works when there is widespread commonly held respect for the idea of protection, in a particular case or cases.

How do we know the originator of the model (think of it possibly being a sculpted piece of art) has given up all future rights to his design because a periodical has claimed a blanket copyright?

How do we know the heirs of the periodical have the right to authorize a third party sale with all rights of the first contract being transferable?? Does the first party have rights that effect subsequent sales beyond the original contract established between the modeler and the periodical?

Seems to me, there is quite a lot ASSUMPTION going on (myself included) and very few willing to address specifics.

Again, not taking any to task. Just offering observations.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:07 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Cut View Post
Hi All,
From what I've heard and been told Roland is not involved in this mess. It started with Anita Northrop.
Glad to hear that. Roland's a good guy. I like his e-mag too BTW.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:52 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,319 Posts
What emag are you referring to?
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily