HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:32 PM
Prop Nut
Purcellville, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
30 Posts
Turnkey RC Swordfish

Does anyone have any experience with the Turnkey RC Swordfish? I have been looking for a nice Swordfish kit and this looks to be about the right size. I would be interested in motor/battery choices.

Ellis
ekeitt is offline Find More Posts by ekeitt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2005, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
I'm in the process of building the Turn key Stringbag semi-kit. Not very scale, but looks right. Lots of details missing from plans that would make construction easier.
The design pretty much dictates using an inline gear reduction unit. The motor is mounted within a hexigon shaped assembly which forms the cranckcase and mounting base for the Dummy engine. The cowl is supported and attached to the engine cylinders...More complicated to discribe than it is...Sort of precludes using other than an inline reduction unit, or a larger diameter outrunner brushless motor.
LLBarb is offline Find More Posts by LLBarb
Old Apr 07, 2005, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
To continue...
I haven't decided what motor or battery to use yet...The thing is going to turn out tail heavy, so brushless and lipo's seem out of the question without adding a ton of dead weight...The designer used a 480 brushed motor and NiCad's. Don't know if he also had to add weight to balance...One thing I have notice about his set up...Both the upper and lower wings have the same incidence...zero-zero to the stab and thrust line. Am going to change that set up for sure!
Old Apr 08, 2005, 07:29 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Pictures, Pictures!!!!!!!!!!! I've been eyeing this plane for a while. Inspire us.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Apr 08, 2005, 12:35 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Can take pictures of what construction I've done on the beast so far but...Will have to clean up work area first! So much clutter on the work bench you would'nt be able to make out the model!
Old Apr 08, 2005, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
You wanted pictures of the Swordfish build...Here are a few.
I've added sub ribs to the wings, just to make things look a little better, and I've thickened up the tail surfaces to get away from that "flat slab" look, and 'cause I think thicker elevators look, and fly better.

Opp's! Files too large to upload...Will have to retake Pic's to get a smaller file.
Sorry!
Last edited by LLBarb; Apr 08, 2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 07:16 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
If you're on a Windows machine, download a program called Irfanview. You can resize your hires pics with and post them here. I do this all the time.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Apr 08, 2005, 09:10 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottney
If you're on a Windows machine, download a program called Irfanview. You can resize your hires pics with and post them here. I do this all the time.
Dave
Thanks Dave...I'll try it. I'm still learning on how things work here.
L.L.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 03:17 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Believe I may now have this photo posting thing figured out.
Photo is of the upper wing center section prior to sheeting the top surface with 1/32 sheet. I've modified things to add the center ribs. The plan has the cabane struts, attaching nonscale like, to the ribs on either side of the centerline, rather than to the centerline. The ribs are for cabane strut attachment.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 04:25 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Fuselage And balsa laminated cowl. A vacuum form cowl kit is available from Turnkey but I didn't want to use the plastic parts.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 04:29 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Lower wing group. I've added sub-ribs to make things look a little better when covered. I still need to add sheeting at the wing roots and sand things to a nice airfoil shape.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Tail feathers...I've modified these also to make them thicker and give them more of an airfoil shape by adding 1/16 sq. to each side. Won't make the model fly better...I just like the look.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:19 AM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,225 Posts
any progress

any progress?
kestrel2003 is offline Find More Posts by kestrel2003