HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
938 Posts
Discussion
Applying Fiberglass to Twin Star

I have a built Twin Star that I want fiberglass the bottom but I got to thinking if epoxy will not stick to the foam then how would I do it?
Looked at Park Fliers but if I read correctly I would have to cut the nose off then do all the other stuff don't want to do that
Any other I ideas, I am landing on rough buffalo grass in the central TX.

Ken Smith
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have a built Twin Star that I want fiberglass the bottom but I got to thinking if epoxy will not stick to the foam then how would I do it?
Looked at Park Fliers but if I read correctly I would have to cut the nose off then do all the other stuff don't want to do that
Any other I ideas, I am landing on rough buffalo grass in the central TX.
Ken Smith
A good clean with isopropyl alcohol, then follow:
. Fibreglass Cloth Covering by Jim Ryan has worked for the one known examples, but a hard landing will
probably see separation and need for repair. More under sub section, again would be wary:
"Fibreglass, Carbon, Resin Moulding & Casting Cowls, Spats,Canopies" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

. Fiberglass Twin-star? is also interesting reading.

Locals do not bother fibreglassing Elapore.
My own TwinStar, Twinjet etc have a strip of 2" Fibreglass Strapping Tape along the landing area of fuse and wingtips.
Easy to apply, lasts forever (unless left in bright sunlight). If ever looks scuffed, peel off and reapply new tape, no need in 10 years so far.

Good article on strapping tape:
. Strapping Tape - Recommendations?
Any small dings are easy to remove by steam or boiling water - many video online, especially under EasyStar.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
938 Posts
Thanks Alan
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith