HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Spent another half day trying to calibrate the Compass and get the GPS to work, but I always had a problem getting the vertical calibrated because I always had to angle the arms.

So this evening I tested all the arms and the location of the IMU all the arms are in the correct position and so is the IMU however, now I think I know why I have been having problems calibrating my hexa.

Even though the IMU is located at the centre point and is located vertically in the axis, to calibrate the compass I have to move the hexa away from the vertical by about 5-10deg to get the LED to shine and to do the calibration, which makes it difficult and also I think it is what is puting the vertical circle off centre, which is what I think has been giving me the GPS problem.

Any solutions as how to rectify without stripping the IMU and shifting the electronics. I suppose I could always move the IMU so that it is facing 10deg the other way

Has anyone opened the IMU yet?

Any good advice is welcome
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
RCI
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Yes, I opened an IMU. see photos
RCI is offline Find More Posts by RCI
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
74 Posts
PC GCS unresponsive

I think I know why the PC GCS hangs or unresponsive when no internet connection. I did some research and I found out that the Google earth plug-in they use in the program does not work in offline mode looks like you need internet access all the time. Looks like we can't use the PC GCS in the field if no internet connectivity. I guess back to android app
xrotor_rg686 is offline Find More Posts by xrotor_rg686
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:26 PM
http://gothelirc.com/
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Dec 2011
614 Posts
Xrotor: I will talk to them about it, thanks.

On the side note, just receive back the unit from tc3twin, slap it onto my old F450 quad, total set up time was 20minutes. Left all setting the same, only change aircraft type, lipo cells to 4 and here's the test video. Didn't even change any gain before take off... the second part of the video is when I made some changes to it would hold better in GPS hold at the end (increase main gain from 60-68... Motion compensate from 85-100.

So no, there's no problem with the unit what so ever. Wifi connect right away, 8 satelites within 20 seconds, atittude value is 0.

For those out there who not having success tunning your unit to perfection. My suggestion is please take a step back, relax and take it easy and I am sure you can figure it out. After all, it's a autopilot system that required USER set up/command.

tctwin ys x6 (1 min 57 sec)
GotHeliRC is offline Find More Posts by GotHeliRC
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,426 Posts
You are calibrating the compass which is located in the GPS unit. It looks like the GPS is slightly off center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Spent another half day trying to calibrate the Compass and get the GPS to work, but I always had a problem getting the vertical calibrated because I always had to angle the arms.

So this evening I tested all the arms and the location of the IMU all the arms are in the correct position and so is the IMU however, now I think I know why I have been having problems calibrating my hexa.

Even though the IMU is located at the centre point and is located vertically in the axis, to calibrate the compass I have to move the hexa away from the vertical by about 5-10deg to get the LED to shine and to do the calibration, which makes it difficult and also I think it is what is puting the vertical circle off centre, which is what I think has been giving me the GPS problem.

Any solutions as how to rectify without stripping the IMU and shifting the electronics. I suppose I could always move the IMU so that it is facing 10deg the other way

Has anyone opened the IMU yet?

Any good advice is welcome
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCI View Post
Yes, I opened an IMU. see photos
Me too, some more info here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1676150
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Welcome back tc.

The forums were boring without your posts.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:53 AM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Glad they let you make bail tc. Good to see your alive.
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:23 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
so regarding the lack of a battery backup for the GPS...
The unit doesn't take forever to get a nice fix, but I suppose if one were to install a tiny battery, the unit could hot start/get a fix that much quicker no?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
That's what you would think (the components are just a supercap/battery + diode), but it already locks in pretty quick even from cold start, presumably due to the nice metal shield.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:36 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
288 Posts
Hi guys,

I swapped my YS to cinestar but there's one thing i cannot get done. Has anyone yet set Castle Phoenix endpoints work with YS. Regular esc:s are straight forward but castles i just cannot get done. I can set full throttle point fine but when i start bring throttle down to set throttle off point, castles sees endpoint already at the middle throttle on the way down. No matter how low i set endpoint in tx.

All tips are welcome, i really like to try phoenix escs with ys as they have been wonderful escs after last fw update

Kari.
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Huh? You should disable any sort of automatic throttle curve stuff on the esc, and just calibrate them with throttle endpoints on TX set to say ~120% (should give you around 1000..2000us more or less).
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:44 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
RCI and TC. Thanks for those images.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:35 AM
Wish i was a flight pack
Australia, NSW, Bass Hill
Joined Jan 2012
332 Posts
+1 TC always enlightening (must have a lot of spare time)
TNTJET is offline Find More Posts by TNTJET
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Stuff
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:18 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
288 Posts
No success with endpoints at 120 both and auto throttle calibrations off for sure. Hmmm.. ideas?
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY