HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:27 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
A quick question for the experts.
I am building a twin using the Armin Wing with a cord of 7.5 inches. The fuse is flat on the bottom front section and that is what I refer to as the datum or 0 Degree's and the Armin Wing being flat on the bottom, should I run a small amount of + degree's on the wing, say 2.5 degree's?

Also think that about 2 or 3 degree's negative on the motors would work things about right, yes, no?

Thanks for your time, first dollar foam anything that I have done, so far have just made a mess. LOL

Jim
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
ExperimentalAir's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
A quick question for the experts.
I am building a twin using the Armin Wing with a cord of 7.5 inches. The fuse is flat on the bottom front section and that is what I refer to as the datum or 0 Degree's and the Armin Wing being flat on the bottom, should I run a small amount of + degree's on the wing, say 2.5 degree's?

Also think that about 2 or 3 degree's negative on the motors would work things about right, yes, no?

Thanks for your time, first dollar foam anything that I have done, so far have just made a mess. LOL

Jim
Hi Jim,

I love me some twins! I might recommend leaving the wing and the thrust angle at 0% and if you are concerned, build in a little negative incidence in the horizontal stabilizer. I can confess that every plane of my design has 0% alignment between the wing lower surface, fuselage, and horizontal stabilizer, and it seems to work OK on the scale I am using. That's not to imply that some variation might not be slightly advantageous, only that a simple triple-alignment is easy and at least workable. Some downthrust might actually be advantageous too, but I always leave my multimotors at 0%. Take a leap and let us know what you think!

Peace,
Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:59 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
Thanks Ed, and a big thanks for posting the video's on how to.

I will set the wing at zero but think I might leave a little down on the motors as they are maybe a little over kill for a 50" wing. But hey, can always fly at half throttle.

The first one is more a test bed to try different things out. I have figured out that the twin wing and fuselage is costing about $5.00 so can afford to build it several times.

Thanks again for all the work you did Ed.

Jim
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:37 PM
Wait...what?
gbmarsh's Avatar
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
977 Posts
Hey neighbor! What's the spec on the motors you are planning to use?
Oddly, I've been mulling the idea of building a twin lately... must be something in the water 'round these parts

(off topic) Where do you fly around Abby?

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:56 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Hey neighbor! What's the spec on the motors you are planning to use?
Oddly, I've been mulling the idea of building a twin lately... must be something in the water 'round these parts

(off topic) Where do you fly around Abby?

Cheers,
Geoff
Have you tried the wing build with foam board, LOL, took me all of about half an hour to finish one wing panel. Using Ed's wing design and then fuse design is from this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181441
kind of a mix and match bird...

Like I said, first one is rough but only to try out the design, next one will take more time and pretty it up.

Kind of plan on using two 2215 900kv 200wat on 3S. More than enough power and might have move down on motor size, the wing span is 50" and fuse is 36" nose to tail. But to tell the truth, using foam board is so cheap and so easy, can build it different if need be.

I am a member of the Aldergrove Prop Nuts, we have a field over on 264th. Only right now its to wet to fly there so good time to build.
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:27 AM
Wait...what?
gbmarsh's Avatar
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBC View Post
Have you tried the wing build with foam board, LOL, took me all of about half an hour to finish one wing panel. Using Ed's wing design and then fuse design is from this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181441
kind of a mix and match bird...

Like I said, first one is rough but only to try out the design, next one will take more time and pretty it up.

Kind of plan on using two 2215 900kv 200wat on 3S. More than enough power and might have move down on motor size, the wing span is 50" and fuse is 36" nose to tail. But to tell the truth, using foam board is so cheap and so easy, can build it different if need be.

I am a member of the Aldergrove Prop Nuts, we have a field over on 264th. Only right now its to wet to fly there so good time to build.
Heh, I've looked at that Jackal as inspiration for a twin as well, nice design. I have a couple of wings built using Ed's design already, one is a 7" x 30" for a Funbat-ish model and the other is a 8" x 44" wing for my HZ SuperCub. Both planes are waiting for some nicer weather for maiden flights.

Your twin should have lots of grunt with those motors, please post some pics if you can.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
well this was a gut wrenching feeling lol

http://youtu.be/H8xJaOSXD2w
Hey smittyplugs IŽm sorry for you, that was such nice footage and it was really stable, man I thought you were going to hit the top of that monster mushroom. YouŽll be up and flying again in no time.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Check out the Snow Mad

Check out the Snow Mad.
Mighty Wind is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Wind
Last edited by Mighty Wind; Mar 23, 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Deleted video from YouTube
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
For my push rods I go to Home Depot and get Empire Stake Flags 100 Pack for $7.98 a bundle.
...fantastic... What type of clevis do you use? What method do you use to secure the clevis to the stake flag rod?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:07 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
867 Posts
Target CG position for the Axon?

I'm guessing that the CG for the Axon should be below the thickest point of the forward wing (point of maximum wing curvature).

...or is there some other applicable rule / principle?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Hey smittyplugs IŽm sorry for you, that was such nice footage and it was really stable, man I thought you were going to hit the top of that monster mushroom. YouŽll be up and flying again in no time.
Thanks Jet.....
Good news is i fixed it last night and just got back from the 2nd maiden lol was a little to windy but did get one flight in with a different receiver mounted in the plane and she did great.....TOOK HER HOME IN ONE PIECE lol
smitty919 is online now Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
154 Posts
No clevis, Dubro E-Z connector on control surfaces for adjustment and Z bend at servo.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
No clevis, Dubro E-Z connector on control surfaces for adjustment and Z bend at servo.
Nice...

Thank You!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Check Out The Snow Mad

Check out the Snow Mad.
Mighty Wind is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Wind
Last edited by Mighty Wind; Mar 23, 2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Deleted video from YouTube
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,306 Posts
The 2nd maiden flight of the "Slow Go Pro 60" it was windy and was trying to feel the plane out sorry for the shaky video...Next will be to ad the flight stabilizer

GoPro Plane (5 min 25 sec)
smitty919 is online now Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 58 Nov 09, 2013 03:01 PM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 09:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 02:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 03:24 PM