Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:11 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Can't you read?
Why are you spamming multiple 9116 threads with a 3-4 times overpriced - "nobody needs it" - product searching for fools with more money than brain.
Please stop spamming like directsource4U - Offer it in the right category "Classifieds" ONCE and wait for some dumbasses who will buy your rubbish.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750532
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565294
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750532
regards
-mike-
who really wants to whack this skull to reason
Good catch I looked up these links and agree withh you that this is just repakaging parts already available for quite abit of profit +1 Steve
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
9116

Hello all!
I think I have made it through all 200+ pages of this thread! Thank you to everyone for their input and making this a fun entry into the world of Electric RC Heli's! I am having an absolute blast with this helicopter. I have ran about 20 (the stock 650 mah and a 850 lipo) packs through her so far and had some very scary moments but she is still in one piece.

I wish the range on the stock TX was better as the wind I have around here it gets pretty easy even with very low throttle to get picked up by the wind lose orientation and chase her across a few fields. I almost lost her once chasing after her for about 1/2 mile through a few fields and across a road.

I nailed the throttle to miss some trees got way to much altitude and when It lost signal from the radio it chopped the throttle but the wind carried her over the road. I expected a heap of parts and/or not being able to find it at all because of the altitude and speed. Sure enough I found it! There was a nice balance bar strike in the tail boom and canopy but that was all.


I'm really wondering were to go next I'm looking at the V120D02S or V200D03 due to the included radio and I'm not scared of replacing parts. I have almost as much fun on the workbench as I do flying. However one of my top 3 reasons for upgrading to something newer is the radio range is very limited on this heli. After some diving circles once you use altitude for speed this thing can really get moving and reach the limits of the stock TX rather quickly. This can be very scary when you hear the motor quit. Despite that this has been so much fun that I have no doubt even after a CCPM heli that this little guy will get stick time.

The only gripes I have are not being able to bind a better TX to it (without having the tail rudder issues). Other than that this was the best 38 dollars ever spent!

Cheers!
CrazyLegsFE is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLegsFE
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLegsFE View Post
Hello all!
I think I have made it through all 200+ pages of this thread! Thank you to everyone for their input and making this a fun entry into the world of Electric RC Heli's! I am having an absolute blast with this helicopter. I have ran about 20 (the stock 650 mah and a 850 lipo) packs through her so far and had some very scary moments but she is still in one piece.

I wish the range on the stock TX was better as the wind I have around here it gets pretty easy even with very low throttle to get picked up by the wind lose orientation and chase her across a few fields. I almost lost her once chasing after her for about 1/2 mile through a few fields and across a road.

I nailed the throttle to miss some trees got way to much altitude and when It lost signal from the radio it chopped the throttle but the wind carried her over the road. I expected a heap of parts and/or not being able to find it at all because of the altitude and speed. Sure enough I found it! There was a nice balance bar strike in the tail boom and canopy but that was all.


I'm really wondering were to go next I'm looking at the V120D02S or V200D03 due to the included radio and I'm not scared of replacing parts. I have almost as much fun on the workbench as I do flying. However one of my top 3 reasons for upgrading to something newer is the radio range is very limited on this heli. After some diving circles once you use altitude for speed this thing can really get moving and reach the limits of the stock TX rather quickly. This can be very scary when you hear the motor quit. Despite that this has been so much fun that I have no doubt even after a CCPM heli that this little guy will get stick time.

The only gripes I have are not being able to bind a better TX to it (without having the tail rudder issues). Other than that this was the best 38 dollars ever spent!

Cheers!
Welcome CrazyLegsFE!
Cudos for fighting yourself through this epic thread!
The limited range of this bird is really a shame. Some users modded their stock TX by installing a W-LAN-Booster into their stock TX and gained ranges of a mile and more!
So you're looking for somewhat else? If the 9116 is your first RC heli you should't worry about any CP heli yet - the difference between the "all forgiving, slow reaction, flying like a truck" - 9116 and somewhat delicate like a V120D02S or V200D03 is a too big step imho. They also have too much flaws also you have to correct - a lot of money involved then, too.
I would recommend getting a decent, still cheap quad like the V929 or the newer V949 - or some sub micros like the V939, UDI or similar for flying indoors, too - they quite a range even with stock TX, less moving parts - and a hell of a lot of movement authority in every direction.
As every beginner you may think "the bigger - the better", I did so, too. But in reality it means: Bigger is not better by any means but more expensive to buy and to maintain.
So if you feel really ready to take a direct step from a 9116 to a CP, buy a micro-CP like the MCP-X or similar - they are as crash resistant as you can think of - yet not indestructible - you can buy them with a decent TX as RTF and are as capable as much bigger CPs.
But your first investment should be a decent 3rd-party charger anyway - every cent is worth it!
nevertheless - have fun with your new hobby, its addiction beats every drug!
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Thanks Mike, :cheers:

I have a Skycharger 6200 (10amp/ balance charger BA6 copy more or less) Got it on sale and the quality seems really good smt soldering points, nice caps ect.. It has been pretty accurate at balancing my packs I've verified it with my Exectech multimeter at 4.2v per cell which is good news. I converted an old ATX power supply to power the charger and it is also working quite well.

As for boosting the stock TX power with a W-Lan booster. That is a great idea! if I can find an affordable small dc powered booster on the cheap. But the ones I've searched for so far are about $30-40 which is kinda steep when the TX is about $7 to replace. I'll keep searching I'm sure someone has figured out an inexpensive way to do it by now.

As for the Quads I think that may be the next step as with your recommendation they were also mentioned quite a few times earlier in the thread. I would like to find one with a nice TX that will bind with whatever comes after it. My Xieda 9958, DH 9116, and all 3 of my CX's have different TX's. Although by now if it doesn't oh well I'll just have a TX shelf and a Heli shelf above the workbench lol.
CrazyLegsFE is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLegsFE
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLegsFE View Post
Thanks Mike, :cheers:

I have a Skycharger 6200 (10amp/ balance charger BA6 copy more or less) Got it on sale and the quality seems really good smt soldering points, nice caps ect.. It has been pretty accurate at balancing my packs I've verified it with my Exectech multimeter at 4.2v per cell which is good news. I converted an old ATX power supply to power the charger and it is also working quite well.

As for boosting the stock TX power with a W-Lan booster. That is a great idea! if I can find an affordable small dc powered booster on the cheap. But the ones I've searched for so far are about $30-40 which is kinda steep when the TX is about $7 to replace. I'll keep searching I'm sure someone has figured out an inexpensive way to do it by now.

As for the Quads I think that may be the next step as with your recommendation they were also mentioned quite a few times earlier in the thread. I would like to find one with a nice TX that will bind with whatever comes after it. My Xieda 9958, DH 9116, and all 3 of my CX's have different TX's. Although by now if it doesn't oh well I'll just have a TX shelf and a Heli shelf above the workbench lol.
Booster: US $13.27
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-...471361763.html
That's enough for a mile range (and more.... but who can see so far...)
You need only one TX for your fleet - a booster-modded 9116TX for your Xieda, the 9116 and if you want to buy a BNF Version of a WLtoys V939, V949 (no BNF av. yet), 929 or 911 too!
They all will work! (Your CXs not - but you'll get rid of them anyway soon )
So clean up your TX-shelf and declare it to another heli-shelf
A TH9X with a flysky-module would be a quite good choice, but rumors say WL will change their protocol - then it would be relatively useless to buy one just for the Xieda and the WL-Models mentioned above. The 9116 will bind to it too, but there's some rudder issue using the stock firmware I wasn't able to solve yet - flashed my TH9X two days ago with ER9x nd there are some other tasks for me to do first.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:41 AM
My goal is fly more crash less
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Jul 2012
75 Posts
Am I just lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
After I blow through my spare stock motor, I think I may just try this as well!

Thanks for sharing!
Since getting my 9116 early last summer I've flown it over 50 times and the beginning part of that has been just learning to hover. I've had my share of crashes -- my first under FFF into tree which only dented the tail shaft. The only parts I've replaced is the Flybar 2x, a few doggone links and the shaft head.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I've not experienced any of the main or tail motor issues covered repeatedly here and other 9116 threads. I'm far from an aggressive flyer. I still get a rush at flying nice and slow but I've read here that hovering and slow flying puts the most stress on the motors *shrug*

Not being blind to the plights of others I do have an extra tail assembly in my parts bin...collecting dust.
Obiorion is offline Find More Posts by Obiorion
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiorion View Post
Since getting my 9116 early last summer I've flown it over 50 times and the beginning part of that has been just learning to hover. I've had my share of crashes -- my first under FFF into tree which only dented the tail shaft. The only parts I've replaced is the Flybar 2x, a few doggone links and the shaft head.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I've not experienced any of the main or tail motor issues covered repeatedly here and other 9116 threads. I'm far from an aggressive flyer. I still get a rush at flying nice and slow but I've read here that hovering and slow flying puts the most stress on the motors *shrug*

Not being blind to the plights of others I do have an extra tail assembly in my parts bin...collecting dust.
*knock on wood*
You've been maybe lucky to get one of the earlier motor batches - they seem to be more durable - in my and other's experience who got some early 9116s.
And you are absolutely right - easy on the sticks, no aggressive flying - and the motors will last - but not forever.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
What a great helicopter

I want to thank all of you guru's who have worked out all the kinks in the 9116. It has made the learning curve much easier. its taken me several weeks to read all the post on this forum, but I have learned a great deal. Also kudos to rcroanoke.com for there great prices and super quick shipping.

I NOW HAVE THE HELIADDICTION!
E28hfd is offline Find More Posts by E28hfd
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E28hfd View Post
I want to thank all of you guru's who have worked out all the kinks in the 9116. It has made the learning curve much easier. its taken me several weeks to read all the post on this forum, but I have learned a great deal. Also kudos to rcroanoke.com for there great prices and super quick shipping.

I NOW HAVE THE HELIADDICTION!
So you're also invited to share your experience with the 9116 - here and - to help other beginners - there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1750650
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
PCB issue

While flying today, at about 30 to 40 feet away the main motor drops power. As it fall toward me at about 15 to 20 feet power returns. My guess is the PCB. Any suggestions.

Thanks Mike L.
E28hfd is offline Find More Posts by E28hfd
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Check all the solder connections as alot of the connections in the TX and the Heli are obviosly hand soldered. I retouched everything in the TX and the Heli and it helped there was also a lot of splashed solder all over the TX board and im surprised that it worked at all. I took it apart to find a 5v connection to power the amplifier I'm about to try. Mike listed earlier in the the thread if your interested.
CrazyLegsFE is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLegsFE
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:44 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E28hfd View Post
While flying today, at about 30 to 40 feet away the main motor drops power. As it fall toward me at about 15 to 20 feet power returns. My guess is the PCB. Any suggestions.

Thanks Mike L.
1. retouch the solder connections of the crystal (silver can) on smaller board
2. bend the small board till it's parallel to main PCB
3. retouch the connections (black block) between the crystal board and main PCB

these are the weakest points of the PCB that could cause your problem
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:46 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLegsFE View Post
Check all the solder connections as alot of the connections in the TX and the Heli are obviosly hand soldered. I retouched everything in the TX and the Heli and it helped there was also a lot of splashed solder all over the TX board and im surprised that it worked at all. I took it apart to find a 5v connection to power the amplifier I'm about to try. Mike listed earlier in the the thread if your interested.
You'll need a 5V voltage regulator to drive this booster - just a few cents in your lokal electronic parts shop
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
1,470 Posts
Differant canopy

Does anybody know of any commercial lightweight canopy that can be made to fit the 9116? On my highly modified and lightened 9116 I've made a paper canopy to bring the weight down further but it's fairly ugly.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Check the Walkera CB180D, CB180Z, or V200D01.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product the first double horse 2.4G and 4CH single blade helicopter 9116 hkmtk Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 32 May 21, 2013 01:27 PM
Help! Heli Spins out when ascending (Z101, looks like the double horse) Shlofter Electric Heli Talk 5 Aug 16, 2012 01:59 AM
Discussion Double Horse 9097 24" Heli Jake8131 Electric Heli Talk 8 Mar 14, 2012 07:05 AM
Sold 9089 Double Horse Shuttle Electric Heli w/Video DVR Senor Jack Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Apr 10, 2011 08:15 PM