HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:54 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Sid, any news about the firmware with lost packet indicator for RSSI with latest upgrade?
jhoexp is offline Find More Posts by jhoexp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:08 AM
R/C CRASHER
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Dec 2004
852 Posts
Sid,
I have a JR 12X radio,I read in the above thread that in the trainer port I only get 4 channels, I only need 3 channels to fly my easystar. So what do I need if I need 6 channels. I also see that you are out of the JR/Spectrum plugs. Let me know what I need so I can order your R/L, thanks Sid.
tkoguy is offline Find More Posts by tkoguy
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
What???

You can only have one option at a time not combined.
Either RSSI
or
Dropped/lost packet indicator.

In my mind RSSI is way better than lost packet indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoexp View Post
Sid, any news about the firmware with lost packet indicator for RSSI with latest upgrade?
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich75 View Post
Sid, in November you mentioned a 6ch RX under testing, has that idea been scrapped completely?
has a lot of issue with new rf module, so delay release, when complete the OSD, and then redesign it.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
787 Posts
Quote:
will release it, and packet rate or rf rssi selectable in new fw.

so some guys just need the rf rssi indicator, no need to do upgrade.

Sid
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoguy View Post
Sid,
I have a JR 12X radio,I read in the above thread that in the trainer port I only get 4 channels, I only need 3 channels to fly my easystar. So what do I need if I need 6 channels. I also see that you are out of the JR/Spectrum plugs. Let me know what I need so I can order your R/L, thanks Sid.
some old JR radio just send 4ch on the trainer port, i think your 12x selectable send 4ch or all channel over the trainer port.

Sid
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:09 PM
R/C CRASHER
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Dec 2004
852 Posts
When do you think the JR cables will be back in stock. (Sid)
tkoguy is offline Find More Posts by tkoguy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:26 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
What???

You can only have one option at a time not combined.
Either RSSI
or
Dropped/lost packet indicator.

In my mind RSSI is way better than lost packet indicator.
Please read my previous posts and you will understand what I am asking Sid.

I want to go back to Lost packet indicator rssi, with the lastest upgrade (12ch ppm mode, etc...) Sid made to the firmware.
If you are happy with RF RSSI, good for you. I am not and want to go back without loosing 12ch ppm.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:28 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid.huang View Post
will release it, and packet rate or rf rssi selectable in new fw.
Please, as soon as you can, thanks!, Finally some good weather and a little time to fly!!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:08 AM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
Could you explain the difference? Not sure what lost packet does over just plain RSSI?

Crazy1

Quote:
Please, as soon as you can, thanks!, Finally some good weather and a little time to fly!!
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
99 Posts
Thank you Sid,

My RangeLink arrived on Friday here at home, took 15 days and everything arrived as agreed.

I tested the system on the ground and everything ok.

In the first attempt, I connected only the positive wire ( center pin ) on EagleTree and the RSSI indication was only 1% is with the radio on or off (already done the calibration on OSD)
I noticed with a multimeter that the positive wire was 4.7V and the signal wire was 3.3V.
So, for the RSSI function properly in my EagleTree I needed just connect the signal wire (but in the middle pin) on Temp1 at E-Logger and to principle worked great.

Tomorrow if the weather permits I will test in flight.
serginho_la is offline Find More Posts by serginho_la
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:38 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Hey, relax.
All I was trying to say is that this sentence does not make sense "I want to go back to Lost packet indicator rssi"
It is two separate things.

Quote:
Please read my previous posts and you will understand what I am asking Sid.

I want to go back to Lost packet indicator rssi, with the lastest upgrade (12ch ppm mode, etc...) Sid made to the firmware.
If you are happy with RF RSSI, good for you. I am not and want to go back without loosing 12ch ppm.
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,373 Posts
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you see as the value in what is effectively a dummy gauge?
It's not progressive in the slightest. When I range tested original firmware out to 30 miles, any time
I had good LoS, it pretty much showed 100%, and when the signal degraded, it'd often just drop
right to zero. It rarely spent much time in between. Rf RSSI over the same test route
goes down progressively (not necessarily linearly), so I could easily judge when
I was approaching edge of range, or see when it was affected by external Rfi, quantify
the effects of antenna orientation, positioning, and so forth.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Apr 01, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
HI guys just wondering if anyone uses the Dx8 with rangelink and if it is plug and play , like the dx6.
Or if you have to modify the radio like the dx7 to get it work with the rangelink.
Cheers if you can help
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:25 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you see as the value in what is effectively a dummy gauge?
Yes, lost packet indicator rssi It's not very progressive, but it indicates only the signal of your link. Sure it's not ideal (althought it's not that bad, like sunsky vrx ), but in some situations is preferable.
With RF rssi it senses every signal on 433 mhz, not just your tx.

It's not very useful for me, first of all because I can't really calibrate the rssi gauge. When I power down my RLtx (failsafe) it shows every other signal on the band (sometimes 10% or less, sometimes even 40-50% strenght). I tried to calibrate it in less rf polluted area, at longer distances, and even in flight, but I am not satisfied with it, because I should recalibrate in every place I fly, and even when I do, I get failsafe sometimes at 70%,sometimes at 30%, etc...really unpredictable.

I fly in very different places with very different aircrafts: in the mountains with a glider, far from every disturbance, I am sure rf rssi will be much better and the real range will be more predictable, but near urban areas or at my usual flying field (with an heli or a multirotor) it's not, and I just want to be able to use lost packet indicator (with 12ch ppm mode of the latest firmware upgrade).

The key to understand my request (Bingo 17 didn't get it) is the last part of the sentence: "with 12ch ppm mode of the latest firmware upgrade".

Anyway, I usually fly well below the max range, I don't really like going so many miles away just to prove it can be done.