HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:46 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
To save weight, I run an 8oz fortitude RC tank from aeroworks. I get 8 minutes on a half tank so no issues with flight time.

Thanks CRFan1. The 8oz fortitude tank I received today from aeroworks just seemed small. Thought I ordered the wrong size.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:44 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Thanks CRFan1. The 8oz fortitude tank I received today from aeroworks just seemed small. Thought I ordered the wrong size.

You will be fine with it I generally set my timer to 8 mins on all my planes but you could easily go 10 on that tank and have plenty to spare. These engines just sip the gas
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:16 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Planned Power setup

So here is my planned power setup:

Switches: Two of these
Battery Packs: Two of these..one for Rx one for ignition
IBEF: This one
Voltage regulator for Rx: Need suggestions.

Does this look like a good power setup? Or should I run a larger mAh pack for the Rx? Thanks for the help...
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:28 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
So here is my planned power setup:

Switches: Two of these
Battery Packs: Two of these..one for Rx one for ignition
IBEF: This one
Voltage regulator for Rx: Need suggestions.

Does this look like a good power setup? Or should I run a larger mAh pack for the Rx? Thanks for the help...
Looks like a fine set up. If it were me, I would run two A123's...one 1100 on the ignition with a simple voltage reducer (from wrongwayrc) and a 2300 A123 for the Rx and you won"t need a regulator for it. You can even do a 4.8Nimh on the ignition and you wouldn't need a voltage reducer. However, if you do the dual A123's, one charger will keep you flying all day
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:46 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Looks like a fine set up. If it were me, I would run two A123's...one 1100 on the ignition with a simple voltage reducer (from wrongwayrc) and a 2300 A123 for the Rx and you won"t need a regulator for it. You can even do a 4.8Nimh on the ignition and you wouldn't need a voltage reducer. However, if you do the dual A123's, one charger will keep you flying all day

I chose the Li-Ion packs over the A123 packs becasue the Li-Ion packs are lighter. What is the output voltage for the wrongwayrc A123 packs? With the setup I posted I only need one voltage reducer for the Rx since my DS-610 servo's are only rated at 6v. My IBEF will reduce the output to the ignition to 5v. In either case I have a charger that can charge either pack.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:17 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
I chose the Li-Ion packs over the A123 packs becasue the Li-Ion packs are lighter. What is the output voltage for the wrongwayrc A123 packs? With the setup I posted I only need one voltage reducer for the Rx since my DS-610 servo's are only rated at 6v. My IBEF will reduce the output to the ignition to 5v. In either case I have a charger that can charge either pack.
Ok than, you are good to go. The A123's are 6.6V nominal.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:14 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Ailerons

When connecting the ailerons to the receiver do you guys use a y-harness or connect the ailerons on seperate channels?

Thanks!
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:33 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
2 separate channels. Much easier to make it perfect that way
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:54 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
2 separate channels. Much easier to make it perfect that way
Exactly
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:00 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
It all depends on what radio you have and how many channels you got. your going to use 6 channels just for the control surfaces and throttle and if you want a kill switch on the radio thats 7.
If you have a 6 channel radio then a Y is fine
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:53 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
It all depends on what radio you have and how many channels you got. your going to use 6 channels just for the control surfaces and throttle and if you want a kill switch on the radio thats 7.
If you have a 6 channel radio then a Y is fine
Kerwin what I did for the Y is to use it on the Throttle and put my 2nd power lead into the other end. Opti-Kill went into the gear. Ailerons have their own channel (I am using 6 channel AR610 Rx)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalith8 View Post
I just feel better about having separate batteries for the ignition & rx,there is no redundancy there if a problem occurs,it may not happen but if for some reason there is interference in the ignition or massive power draw,electrical short it could interfere with the rx signal.Personally I wouldnt use one but thats just me.I have a 2500 li-ion 2s for the rx & 4.8 nimh for the ignition with separate switches.I use this setup for 30cc & up.I also just switched to the DX8 & hooked up the telemetry,the engine is new & I thought it would be a great platform to monitor break in.The rpms,rx voltage,flight pack voltage & temp during flight is nice.The throttle curve is the best part.Looking back I cant see how I went without one for so long.As far as the 1 or 2 battery setup,just use whatever you are comfortable with.
evalith8...could you explain more on using the "throttle curve"? Now I've used this on my heli's but not sure how to use this function on a plane.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:56 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Throttle setup

Do you need to run the throttle setup on the right side or can you set it up on the left? I know that the carb can be flipped from left to right but I've found some great instructions/detailed pictures for another aircraft similar to the 71" Slick on setting up the throttle servo and choke on the left side. Just wondering. Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Do you need to run the throttle setup on the right side or can you set it up on the left? I know that the carb can be flipped from left to right but I've found some great instructions/detailed pictures for another aircraft similar to the 71" Slick on setting up the throttle servo and choke on the left side. Just wondering. Thanks!
It's whatever works for you; the engine doesn't care. I flipped my carb over so I could mount the throttle servo to the bottom of the engine box.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Thanks for the pic's SnowDog1974. Haven't made much progress with the build. Ordered and received this switch. Once I got it and inspected the switch it's quite large. I would have to cut a huge hole in the fuse to get it in there and re-enforce it with some ply. What switch fits in the already provided cut-outs for the switches? This one? I don't want to have to make too much of a modification to install the switch. Thanks!