HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Kamal View Post
I have heard that the under carriage of 48" EXP series are not tough enough to stand in case of hard landings. Can you guys please shed some light on it. Or how we can make it strong enough that it will sustain in hard landing?
Where did you here that? They are very tough from our experience, unless by hard landing you mean crash. We've hit weeds and flipped over and not had any damage. My only complaint is on the 48" MXS CF landing gear. The yak and extra landing gear, and 64" MXS, extra, and edge landing gear are all great.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
Absolutely......as Chris said "if your thumbs are capable" and I would agree.
Jeff
Some of us have less capable thumbs
I've gotten the impression that if you aspire to be Daniel Hollman an extra is a good place to start. But if you aspire to be Kyle Woyshnis (*) an edge might give you an edge, so to speak. Partly why I picked the edge for my first 60".

(*) A master of graceful low and slow:
Wenatchee Huckfest 2013 - Kyle Woyshnis (9 min 28 sec)
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
60" Edge makes it feel like you're cheating...it is a good first EF plane (though it wasn't my first. I went for the extra, liked that too).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Today, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
I hope one day to be flying with my Grandson also. He 18 months now and enjoy watching rc video with me.
Well, my Grandson just turned 14. I schooled him for 2 years on foamies and the EF Yak was his first 'real' plane that I got him for his birthday. He was showing real progress until the recent mishap. I was in a mid speed harrier and he flew into the oncoming traffic. lol. Lesson learned I hope. Neat thing about youngsters and flying is they learn about decision making and making good judgements. Good schooling, but expensive for Grandpa.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Last edited by markl22; Today at 07:57 AM.
Old Today, 07:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
152 Posts
I think we both preferred the Yak over the Extra as far as flying goes. Also, at the flying field, the beautiful Yak is the one that people were attracted to. It has incredible presence.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Today, 09:23 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Kamal
I have heard that the under carriage of 48" EXP series are not tough enough to stand in case of hard landings. Can you guys please shed some light on it. Or how we can make it strong enough that it will sustain in hard landing?

Destruction Testing

EXTREME FLIGHT Extra 300 EXP__ Destruction Testing (1 min 29 sec)
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Today, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
559 Posts
I was hoping you would repost that video after this discussion. That is a very hard hit and you can't argue that this is not a strong airframe to take that hit and just break wheels off. In later inspections with cowel off did you see any damage to the motor box area? I know you said no damage in video but not sure if you found something later. Even if it just broke a motor box partially that wouldn't be that bad IMO.

Thanks for the help Doc. Been watching and reading a lot of your stuff and it's very helpful especially for a noob or even the experienced getting into this plane. Thanks again. Also to the others as well.

Just one weird question and it has to do with radio and setup. I can pretty well guess most here will be using spektrum, JR, futaba and a few other big players. Anyone using a taranis with theirs and do you have any warnings about this that I should know that I haven't thought of? Odd question on a aircraft thread but I will usually get the weird question out at the AMA field if I would trust my radio with these types of aircraft. I always feel like an oddball when I pull my radio out. I would but this is new territory I want to learn now and want to cover all bases as much as I can.
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Old Today, 10:15 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr175 View Post
That is a very hard hit and you can't argue that this is not a strong airframe to take that hit and just break wheels off. In later inspections with cowl off did you see any damage to the motor box area?
One of the glue joints on the bottom carbon motorbox brace was broken. I pushed it back into place and hit it with some CA. It flew fine after that

Quote:
I know you said no damage in video but not sure if you found something later. Even if it just broke a motor box partially that wouldn't be that bad IMO.
I figured the plane was finished, but like I say, just a glue joint. Later, I sold it to a friend who let both his sons cut their 3D teeth on it. They got into full scale and sold all their RC stuff. For all I know, it's still out there flying around.

Quote:
Thanks for the help Doc. Been watching and reading a lot of your stuff and it's very helpful especially for a noob or even the experienced getting into this plane.
Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Anyone using a taranis with theirs and do you have any warnings about this that I should know that I haven't thought of? Odd question on a aircraft thread but I will usually get the weird question out at the AMA field if I would trust my radio with these types of aircraft.
You gotta remember that clubs are full of "experts," who have "informed" opinions.

Best bet it to talk to someone who uses a Tatanis. My friend Florida Flyer has one and he loves it. I got to fly it once and it was pretty nice. There's also a radio section on RCG and I gotta believe they have a Taranis thread where you can read up on it.

Here's a shameless repost.

Old Today, 10:48 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,697 Posts
I got a buddy with the Taranis. He loves it. I have heard of no issues with them to date.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Today, 01:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Destruction Testing

https://vimeo.com/23211810
Doc what did u use to build the air frame. I bought same extra in same color today. Will start my build tomorrow. Thanks for your help, ur awesome.

In build threads they say use on medium and thin CA for every thing . For hinges and for control horns it looks good and string. But they say for elevator use same thin and medium CA.

If u have ur build thread please share it with me. Or just give me ur worthy tips to build my airframe.
Hasan Kamal is online now Find More Posts by Hasan Kamal
Old Today, 02:07 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Kamal View Post
Doc what did u use to build the air frame? In build threads they say use on medium and thin CA for every thing .
I use thin CA (Zap) for just about everything. I will use medium on some things (control horns, etc), but mostly it's thin.

I can't remember the last time I used epoxy on anything.

Quote:
If u have ur build thread please share it with me. Or just give me ur worthy tips to build my airframe.
Best bet it to check out Herc's build videos on the Extreme Flight web site. He builds a Laser but that build is so similar to the Extra that you will find it helpful.

My best personal tip is to really take your time with aligning the tail, and with the hinging. Those are the two things you had better not mess up. Almost anything else you can unbolt and start over, but if you glue the tail on crooked you are screwed. You can get it loose with debond, but what a mess. It's better to take an hour and measure it over and over and over, get it dead on the first time.

Follow the manual and seal your hinge gaps. Get some Golden West Super Solvent for cleaning CA off the covering.

Most importantly, tell all your friends about my blog!

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Today at 02:13 PM.
Old Today, 02:41 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,235 Posts
Ex spek now devoted Taranis user, best tx hardware for the price with the best firmware available (opentx)
Would trust it with anything I own, a bit of a learning curve to understand how to program it as opposed to other tx firmware, but once you get it working you wont regret it.
other people I know that fly with one, arron bates "theKM" usually hangs around 3dhs threads. .
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Today, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
559 Posts
Yeh me too now. Spek really turned me off with their support methods. I use opentx also. I can attest to what you said. Very hard learning but I have it down for the most part. This plane will test me though as it will require some stuff that I will need to learn eventually. Not worried as planning sport setup first which is pretty basic but thinking ahead.
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175