Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:32 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
295 Posts
Help!
Cheap Chinese Brushed ESC with brake

Hello

I am working on a landing craft and I am at the stage of installing the electronics and radio gear.

I have a couple of the:http://www.ebay.ca/itm/F05428-10A-Br...item3cddbb0c2b

Does anyone have any first hand experience with that?

I hooked mine up to a small gear drive motor to control my bow ramp. Without a radio unit, just a servo tester with it`s battery and my main power source, a bench power supply, set at 7.4v. I hooked the gear drive motor to the esc motor wires, plugged the esc into the servo tester servo plug, powered the esc from the power supply 7.4v.

All I get is the gear motor going in one direction even though the servo tester is in manual mode, I can`t do any control of the esc with the servo tester so that I can adjust the ramp harness system. Only one direction, no reverse.

Did I do something wrong OR will the esc ONLY work with a radio system?

Please let me know, the instructions, ONLY give ESC specs, nothing else.

Thanks
George
George Jure is offline Find More Posts by George Jure
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:25 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
You don't want the brake model. Boats don't have brakes!
I think there is a delay on the ESC before it goes into reverse. Forward, Reverse...(pause)... BRAKE... (pause)...then actual Reverse. I think for RC cars the brake function saves the motor undue stress before it has to spin in another direction (and gears can be stripped). In a boat, you don't want or need this delay--water is less resistant than pavement.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837878

No radio huh? That's your problem because how is the motor going to get a signal to reverse?
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Jul 10, 2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 05:06 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
What he said.
This - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/F05427-RC-10A...e831b6d&_uhb=1 - is the version for boats.
To set up with a servo tester, you really need good calibration on the tester so that you start off with known center and end points. That way you get to go through the actions in the way that the ESC maker intended.
I did notice with my non-brake version that there was a distinct bias to reverse power, but I was using a Hitec transmitter. Other ESC vendors have commented that Futaba transmitters should have their throttle channel set to R rather than N. If this ESC was designed with Futaba set to N in mind, this reversal of logic could really stoke confusion.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:35 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,120 Posts
I ordered one of these to use in a small plastic model of the Missoury:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=291167349279
It arrived last week and I had some time to fool around with it today.

The low end response is a bit iffy, the motors I used, from a three pole 400 to a multipole fan motor, all started at a fairly high rpm (1/3 throttle), which isn't very nice if you want to be able to crawl along.

What bothers me to no end is the fact the deadband on the one I received is ridiculously narrow; the led on the ESC is supposed to go out when the motor is stopped, but getting the stick in that position is close to impossible, the motor will either go in reverse, or forward.
It made no difference if I used a channel with a spring, or one without.

As I reconnected the ESC to confirm what I was writing, only the BEC would work (the steering servo and the receiver worked) but the output to the motor didn't work anymore, so the ESC is reduced to a 5V 1A UBEC.

I'll let the seller know.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:49 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Hi Jan
On another thread I looked at the non brake version, using it with 130 and 140 size motors. I found the opposite problem with the deadband - it was very wide. I also had to convince it that I had a Futaba transmitter by setting the throttle channel to R because of its strong bias to reverse. I wouldn't want to use one for the primary power control of a model on a lake that didn't have good access because of the self-switchoff safety feature, but would happily use them for a winch or something similar. Or as the system's BEC.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:05 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Wrexham
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
My experience of these cheap Chinese 10a ESCs much more closely mirrors Malcolm's experience - Mine (eight or nine, I forget!) all have a wide dead band. They so far have all been reliable, but I have not run them with anything more than a 280 with a 25mm prop. I tend to run my boats from a 4.8v nimh pack. The ESCs suit my purposes admirably, but I can make no guarantees for anyone else. They seem to fill a niche where a converted servo is not quite enough…
Robert Davies is offline Find More Posts by Robert Davies
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:47 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
I'll let the seller know.
Got a reply from the seller today:

"This trouble happen due to transmitter tuning not good.
Please micro-adjust the transmitter, and try again?
If still don’t work,please get back to me."

So I gave it another go tonight and after wiggling the haphazard wiring I used (crappy tiny connectors and alligator clamps) the ESC works again.
Oddly enough, the red light, which should go out in the neutral position, stays on most of the time, while the motor is stopped.
I now have a very wide deadband and a very short range of the stick in which the motor runs from a standstill to full throttle.
Reverse is only 50% of the forward output.

The ESC is very 'vocal' in the motorwiring (2KHz range), the loudest is a multipole motor, a three pole 400 is much quieter.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:58 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
So "micro-adjust the transmitter" was just a bogus instruction? Seems you fixed the ESC though as it operates in the more common manner(?). Does it operate to your satisfaction?

Wiggling wires to fix something does not bode well.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:34 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Wrexham
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
Got a reply from the seller today:

"This trouble happen due to transmitter tuning not good.
Please micro-adjust the transmitter, and try again?
If still donít work,please get back to me."

So I gave it another go tonight and after wiggling the haphazard wiring I used (crappy tiny connectors and alligator clamps) the ESC works again.
Oddly enough, the red light, which should go out in the neutral position, stays on most of the time, while the motor is stopped.
I now have a very wide deadband and a very short range of the stick in which the motor runs from a standstill to full throttle.
Reverse is only 50% of the forward output.

The ESC is very 'vocal' in the motorwiring (2KHz range), the loudest is a multipole motor, a three pole 400 is much quieter.

Regards, Jan.
Jan, Harq (and everyone else!) the common result for my ESCs at idle is for them to flash on and off about once every two seconds. I find in my Lindberg builds (1/125 Minesweeper and Fletcher) where I use 280 motors (sourced in GWS packaging if this matters) the ESCs are very quiet indeed. However if I step up a size to a 380 or 385, they are as you describe 'very vocal'. I suspect it may be the motor winds vibrating at a harmonic of the ESCs drive frequency, which may even be further amplified by the hull of an boat/ship that the motor is in.

As an aside I suspect that with a well matched prop and drive train, a 'lazy' (ie not a race spec) 540 would be about the safe motor limit before the 10a ESC gets a bit toasty!
Robert Davies is offline Find More Posts by Robert Davies
Old Nov 14, 2014, 04:21 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
894 Posts
Will these esc be compatible with the twin GWS LPS RXC-C motors I got for my Revell 1/72 Type VIIC U-boat?
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:03 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboat219 View Post
Will these esc be compatible with the twin GWS LPS RXC-C motors I got for my Revell 1/72 Type VIIC U-boat?
If you can let us know what current they will pull under load and the voltage you intend to run at, maybe. But avoid the ones with the brake, you really do need the non-brake version in a twin setup. They are intended for a max of 2S LiPo or 6 NiMH, a previous poster has used them with 380 size motors, so if your motors (which I have not heard about before) are like that or smaller, yes.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:37 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
894 Posts
http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...system/012.htm

There are 20A esc too.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...231846&alt=web

Are these better or are the 10A sufficient.
Last edited by redboat219; Nov 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 02:11 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Bearing in mind that the figures quoted are presumably for aero use, at 7.2/7.4 volts, it looks well within the capability of the 10A version. Without any evidence, the 20A version might well have the same response profile, but be capable of handling more motor. But thats just guessing.

Afterthought - I had another look at the 20A link, there is a discrepancy in there. The labels on the item say variously, max 7.4 and 8.4 volts, at the bottom of the spec it says "Li-Poly 2-3 cells; Ni-MH 4-10 cells Auto Detect", which is a lot more than any 8.4 volts.
Last edited by mfr02; Nov 14, 2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old Nov 14, 2014, 09:29 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
894 Posts
Trying to get one off ebay but been having trouble with paypal payment all night
Old Nov 15, 2014, 02:10 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,277 Posts
I just modified HS-55 servos Or large standard servos for any movement requirements.

You can use servos as reverseable ESCs By by a slight modification to the gears. I pick on Futaba servos. RCd the 8" USCG boats .
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2