SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by whaledriver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:39 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,410 Posts
Trader Rating: 24
So what about the new ecu makes it so nice? Im debating in upgrading mine from the C02C to the new one, but is it Really worth the $$?
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:34 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
Trader Rating: 75
Thomas,

It's been a while, but the start procedure is more reliable and the spool up time is a little better/faster. I don't recall if it had to do with the new starter motor or just that it spins the turbine and then low ignition instead of the old "POP" , I think it uses less voltage. You could always get the answer from Carlos or Bob Price himself. PM me if you want Bob P's phone number.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
So what about the new ecu makes it so nice? Im debating in upgrading mine from the C02C to the new one, but is it Really worth the $$?
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:49 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaledriver View Post
I have to agree, made it a new motor. I had an original 1A ECU, so old Bob was surprised it was still out there being used. The new start sequence works great! Worth every penny!
Yep, I have a 1000 with the new ECU, and it's like starting any modern engine.

I have a startup vid on youtube with the new ECU. I was surprised how well it worked.

Ram 1000 Turbine Test Run. (2 min 21 sec)
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Mar 09, 2014, 07:53 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Depending on what ECU you have now, Bob may be able to do an upgrade on it. (only around $75)

But if you have a good RAM, and you want to fly it trouble free.... the upgrade is worth it. With that said... it's not a miracle cure for a bad engine.

The new ECU has a better soft start, to keep it from killing starter motors. It has better spool times. It has a better startup cycle... and a few other upgrades.

There's no reason to deal with Carlos on the ECU since Bob will work direct. (and it will save you $$$)

Here's bob's info:

Bob Price
206 Breakaway Road
Cedar Park, TX 78613
E-mail: rjpmodel@aol.com
Phone: 512-259-9232
Cell: 512-897-9770
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Last edited by Dr Honda; Mar 09, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:22 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,410 Posts
Trader Rating: 24
Thanka guys. I spoke with Bob and he said it was $145 upgrade. Ever since getting my 1000 back from Carlos, it never starts on the first cycle. It'll ignite and start to spool up but times out before it starts to ramp onto the fuel. The second attempt it always starts, ive never been able to figure this out, bc if i adjust the gas and ramp settings to get it to start the first time, it shoots flames out the tail.
I guess ill drop the ECU in the mail to Bob Since the 1000's new airframe isnt ready for it anyways.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 09, 2014, 08:07 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,264 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Good info there Honda. Thanks!

I benched my RAM 750 2 years ago because the ECU was acting up. The engine would not idle down below 15% throttle. I changed the fuel pump but the problem remained. I have contacted Bob and await a reply.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Closed Thread