HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
The Radian is done.
Weight is 223 grams for a wing load of 34 grams/dm2 which is more or less 11.5 ounces/square foot.
Hope my reflexes are good enough or the maiden will be the last flight!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:53 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Super job Guizzo! Looks absolutely great, the weight and wing loading sound OK, it is going to be hot of course but should fly fine if you can keep up with it!

Very best of luck with the first flight, hope it all goes according to plan.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:01 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Lots of expo?
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
Lots of expo?
Sounds like a good idea to me - smallish movements and lots of exponential is definitely the way to go with a little hot rod like this.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Nice work Guizzo! Good luck for the maiden flight.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
I thank you all mates!. I forgot to say that I didn't use the decals I had previously prepared (see post # 12). I printed them with wrong colors which also resulted too bright and glossy; I preferred to print the "RADIAN" name on tissue and apply it to the wing with clear dope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
Lots of expo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Sounds like a good idea to me - smallish movements and lots of exponential is definitely the way to go with a little hot rod like this.
Humm! I don't use expo on my models. My experience (sigh! ) tells me that nasty thinks may happen when you use it during a maiden flight!

The smallest warp or the slightest wrong incidence setup that requires to trim the model after the take-off or hand launch, forces to fly with the stick off-center and have a coarse movement to one side and a too soft movement on the opposite one!

I normally maiden my model hand launching or taking-off with full control surface movements and maintaining one finger on the dual rates switch I previously set at 60% travel.
In this manner I have full control of the model, but I may reduce stick sensitivity in case I need it.
Anyway I will postpone the maiden until I have available a paved runway; this means nor early than October 7 when I will attend a meeting in Ghisalba, quite close to Milan, Italy.

A bit off-topic: I attended an O/T meeting last Sunday, here are some pictures.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
As I wrote in my previous post, last Sunday I attended an O.T. Meeting in Ghisalba, Italy and, having available a macadam runway, I took my Radian with me to maiden her.
After a thorough check to the model, I put her on the runway facing the wind and I gently advanced the throttle; the model advanced straight for less than one feet and than started cartwheeling.
As you may see from the pics that I posted, the Radian has a fixed tail-skid and, no matter how I tried wiggling the sticks, the model cartwheeled.
Since it was impossible to use the runway, my friend Giorgio volunteered to hand launch the model.
Giorgio gave the model a perfect toss and the Radian was in a steady flight before I could even realize it, there was just a slight leaning to the left that I could easily control but I left the model continue the turn. The model was fast for my taste and getting rapidly small, so I preferred to land immediately, take a break (I was quite nervous, you know!) and give another try. I reduced power and made a landing in tall grass. I reduced the power a bit too early and the Radian landed almost stalled and the fuse broke. I guess the flight lasted more or less then seconds!
Well, the damage is not big; I will repair the model and try again to fly her, but I see that I have built something which is beyond my capabilities!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Tough luck Guizzo - maybe you could get a hot shot aerobatic pilot who is used to small fast models to do the trimming flights for you, if you feel the model is a bit much for you?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
No way! I build, fly and crash!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:21 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guizzo 17 View Post
No way! I build, fly and crash!
Spoken like a Gentleman, sir!

Respect.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:00 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
That's a tough break Guizzo. We all feel your pain. Watching events unfold quickly and being unable to gain control is not a good feeling, and stressful for the nervous system too. Good luck with the repairs and whatever follows.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Thanks Sparks! I knew it would be difficult but I like to experiment and build models that are a bit too difficult for my capabilities and .... I知 not always the winner!
It won't take a long time to repair the model, than I値l try to prolong the inflight time and, hopefully, land the Radian uninjured!
I just need a bit of time since I知 working in other projects too, but I won稚 give up.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Just 12 days to go and 19 builds finished to go into the final poll.

So what about the others?

Oh well, even the second attempt went wrong!
Few days after repairing my model, I tried to fly the Radian again but I destroyed it because it was over-sensitive to the stick inputs.
yes, I know that small models requires small control deflection but, evidently, I underestimated this peculiarity and ア25ー of ailerons movement was too much!
I was quite disappointed since I launched the model in the air and it went away reasonable fast, but straight and stable as it was on rails, but as soon as I started turning the model, I lost the control.
Anyway I won稚 give up and my intention is to build a new model and have my Radian flying even outside the time-frame for this beautiful Britkit Build Off.
I'll take my time tough, I have some other models I need to complete at the moment; actually I知 finishing a Graupner Canary Canard kit which I bought for 10 to a swap meeting and I have other 3 to complete!

I wish you all a Marry Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Sorry to hear of your further problems with your lovely little Radian Guizzo, if I understand your post correctly and you mean plus and minus 25 degrees of aileron, I am not surprised it was twitchy, I certainly wouldn't use that much movement on a model like this, especially at first. Still, at lest you finished the model and it will be featured in the final poll next week.

There will be a new build off starting for British published plan designs on Jaunaury 1st, I hope you will take part.

Best wishes for Christmas and 2013
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
You have understood correctly, George! I used ア25ー of ailerons deflection. This is the same movement I'm using in my other two small acrobatic models which have a wing span of 35 and 38 inch.
I supposed it would be the right amount even for the Radian but, evidently, I was dead wrong.
I guess I値l try ア10ー on the new one.
Thanks for inviting me to the coming Brit-plan build off, but I have too many models waiting completion or repair, (my Squadron suffered unusual attrition this year!... ) however I値l follow with great interest all build-offs and eventually, vote the best model!
I wish you all umpteen ROGs and equal number of smooth landings for 2013!