New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2005, 03:12 AM
Find More Posts by Leif
JART Builder/flyer :)
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
230 Posts
Blade Dancer EPP Build thread

Hey all. Since my Tensor 4D quickly showed me how good I am NOT at flying indoors last week I took a trip to my LHS in search of a more durable 3D trainer.
What I came home with was the Blade Dancer from MS Composit. And some Eflite servos and 20 A ESC as well as a Kontronik Mini dancer motor.
So I thought I would do a quick buid thread for you all.
I have Flown the plane and really like it. It has plenty of power and I hope to learn a lot before having another go at flying indoor. This plane came out a bit heavy for indoor, it is a little fast. It weighs in at 400 Grams with battery. I might experiment with some camber to get the speed down as the ailerons are full span but I will have to wait and see.
Anyway, enjoy my build thread. Let me know what you think....

Leif
Leif is offline Find More Posts by Leif
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2005, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by Jim_W
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
3,149 Posts
Are these available from a US vendor?
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Dec 19, 2005, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by Leif
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
230 Posts
I dont know if these are avilable in the US. You could try a dealer that sells Hornet micro helis as these are also made by MS composit.
Here are the last few shots I have fully assembled after the maiden flight.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,634 Posts
Cool idea on the spar material! Any idea what the 'string' is? Nylon? Cotton? Polyester?

Hmmmm... have to do some experimenting now
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 19, 2005, 07:31 AM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
25,521 Posts
and the nearer the surface of the wing , the stronger.... always wanted to use left over Christmas ribbon (ever try to break it ?) for spars, just stuck on ...
Leif , Thank you for your wonderful photos and descriptions.... I feel as if I could build that plane "in my head".... COOL !!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by Leif
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
230 Posts
the string is cotton.... Christmas ribbon might be a problem as it is maybe waxed and the glue wont stick to it so well. But this cotton string could be used for maybe a trailing edge sub spar as well if one needed to reinforce the wing near the trailing edge... or maybe Kevlar or Carbon Fibre roving could be used for those super stiff super light foamy wings...... It really seems to work well for EPP though.

Thanks for the comments about the pictures. Sorry the colours are a bit off. In real life the colour is more orange than it appears, the white balance on my cam is a little off.....

For me part of the point of doing a build thread is showing others how I build and getting tips from others on thing I might do differently. Hope you all enjoy.
BTW I am using the E-flite 3D arms for the servos but there seems to be some excess slop in the rudder linkage or servo. The rudder doses not center well... I am looking into it.. I might well end up with a CF rod between the servo and the control rod.. will let you know...

Leif
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by swiart2
Joined Sep 2004
145 Posts
mass without electronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Hey all. Since my Tensor 4D quickly showed me how good I am NOT at flying indoors last week I took a trip to my LHS in search of a more durable 3D trainer.
What I came home with was the Blade Dancer from MS Composit. And some Eflite servos and 20 A ESC as well as a Kontronik Mini dancer motor.
So I thought I would do a quick buid thread for you all.
I have Flown the plane and really like it. It has plenty of power and I hope to learn a lot before having another go at flying indoor. This plane came out a bit heavy for indoor, it is a little fast. It weighs in at 400 Grams with battery. I might experiment with some camber to get the speed down as the ailerons are full span but I will have to wait and see.
Anyway, enjoy my build thread. Let me know what you think....

Leif

Hi,

could you tell me The empty mass of this plane without electronic and lipo

i'd like to fly indoor with
2s 500mah
3 servo 6g
typhoon 3/3d 22g

thanks
swiart2 is offline Find More Posts by swiart2
Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Mel D
USA, GA, Canton
Joined Jul 2004
66 Posts
Below is the factory demension's

ade Dancer-Airbrush features:

Weight: 300 - 340 g (10.6 - 12 oz)
Wingspan: 930 mm
Length: 900 mm
Motor: EM-300/34
Power Cells: 3S 800mAh Lipol

Mel D
Mel D is offline Find More Posts by Mel D
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by flashprash65
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jun 2006
524 Posts
Tell me more about how this plane handles. And what would you compare it too? Is it as durable as they say it is.

Sorry for all the ques. but i'm tempted to order one and want to know the down side, if any this palne may have. Thanks
flashprash65 is offline Find More Posts by flashprash65
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:33 AM
Find More Posts by Leif
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
230 Posts
I like the handling, It is a bit like a stiffer Blade EPP if you have ever flown one of those, The only downside I can find is that the depron Tail fins are a little prone to damage.....
Old Dec 29, 2006, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
USA, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2006
154 Posts
This looks great. Found it here in the USA.
http://www.mscompositusa.com/blade-d...ml#description
Most amazing is the price - $45. Seems you can't touch most full fuse / foiled wing for than less than $70.

Jamie

Make that a slab fuse, not hollow.
JamiePhoto is offline Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
Last edited by JamiePhoto; Dec 31, 2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Correction on Fuse
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
USA, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2006
154 Posts
Oh my - just found this video showing Variable Pitch Prop. Very Cool.

http://shop.modellbau-klimm.de/produ...d1d50261ef5fbf

Jamie
JamiePhoto is offline Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by Rana metalera
RMS AUDIO Y VIDEO
Mexico
Joined Mar 2007
1,758 Posts
Quote:
the string is cotton.... Christmas ribbon might be a problem as it is maybe waxed and the glue wont stick to it so well. But this cotton string could be used for maybe a trailing edge sub spar as well if one needed to reinforce the wing near the trailing edge... or maybe Kevlar or Carbon Fibre roving could be used for those super stiff super light foamy wings...... It really seems to work well for EPP though.

Thanks for the comments about the pictures. Sorry the colours are a bit off. In real life the colour is more orange than it appears, the white balance on my cam is a little off.....

For me part of the point of doing a build thread is showing others how I build and getting tips from others on thing I might do differently. Hope you all enjoy.
BTW I am using the E-flite 3D arms for the servos but there seems to be some excess slop in the rudder linkage or servo. The rudder doses not center well... I am looking into it.. I might well end up with a CF rod between the servo and the control rod.. will let you know...

Leif

Hi man, im from MExico city, i just got this plane, this is my first EEP plane, your tutorial was perfect and very helpfull, thanks a lot!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701293
Rana metalera is offline Find More Posts by Rana metalera
Last edited by Rana metalera; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Leif
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
230 Posts
glad u liked like it, I am still flying mine and liking it a lot... I have made three new tail parts over the time I have had the plane, other than that it is holding up great
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by Rana metalera
RMS AUDIO Y VIDEO
Mexico
Joined Mar 2007
1,758 Posts
Quote:
glad u liked like it, I am still flying mine and liking it a lot... I have made three new tail parts over the time I have had the plane, other than that it is holding up great
why? why you are making new parts? did ya broked em? or what? whats your experience flying this baby on small places like a garden ?
Rana metalera is offline Find More Posts by Rana metalera