New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2016, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by Dadawada
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
770 Posts
Discussion
New Spektrum DX18 Gen2 - Worth it?

I have the chance to purchase a brand new in the box DX18 Gen2 for $621. Is this worth it?

I just feel like this radio is getting a little dated and if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd be better off getting a more updated radio.

Opinions?
Dadawada is offline Find More Posts by Dadawada
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2016, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,583 Posts
It was last updated in January, and will probably get another update shortly after the DX20 is released. What kind of "update" are you looking for?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 01, 2016, 09:00 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It was last updated in January, and will probably get another update shortly after the DX20 is released. What kind of "update" are you looking for?

Andy
Better screen, color screen, nicer case (not cheap plastic looking), more "quad" features like the Taranis, faster...
Old Apr 01, 2016, 09:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,583 Posts
Well, it blows away the Taranis on speed. It's like the difference between a kiddie coaster and a Ferrari in that department.

The DX20 has a carbon fiber case. Why color? Don't you want to read it outdoors?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 01, 2016, 09:08 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
770 Posts
I had a fairly new DX9 that I sold and purchased the Taranis. I love the Taranis and the voice function, it's just not as nice feeling in the hands as the DX9 was (doesn't feel nearly as solid).

What's prompting this is I fly a lot of different stuff, including helis now. The Taranis, though powerful, is a little more complicated to setup than the software on the Spektrums. I'm using a DM9 module on the Taranis so I can fly the BNF stuff but it's just DSM2.

I'd love the DX20, but can't justify the cost based on the flying I do...yet anyway.
Old Apr 01, 2016, 09:10 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Well, it blows away the Taranis on speed. It's like the difference between a kiddie coaster and a Ferrari in that department.

The DX20 has a carbon fiber case. Why color? Don't you want to read it outdoors?

Andy
The 20 or the 18?

I've read the Taranis was 9ms and the Spektrum was 10 or 11 or more.
Old Apr 01, 2016, 09:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,583 Posts
Our tests indicated otherwise, using the standardized method that John Koss uses. And it gets longer the more you do, but with Spektrum it doesn't.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 01, 2016, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by AeroKen
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
3,229 Posts
The DX18 is a really nice radio as far as feel goes - it fits your hands very nicely. There's been several software updates for it so far, I'm sure there will be more. The screen may be a bit on the small side, but it's effectively used, and I don't see why you'd need color. Sounds like you found one for a pretty good price too.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Apr 01, 2016, 08:45 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined May 2014
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
The DX18 is a really nice radio as far as feel goes - it fits your hands very nicely. There's been several software updates for it so far, I'm sure there will be more. The screen may be a bit on the small side, but it's effectively used, and I don't see why you'd need color. Sounds like you found one for a pretty good price too.
Thanks,

I'm just not as up to date on the Spektrum stuff lately and wanted to get some other opinions.
Old Apr 02, 2016, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadawada View Post
The 20 or the 18?

I've read the Taranis was 9ms and the Spektrum was 10 or 11 or more.
Framerate is not all. What latency has the Taranis?
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old Apr 02, 2016, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
4,063 Posts
The DX18 is the only radio I will ever need to have. And I think I will not buy a new radio the next couple of years. Oh, I have 2. An old one and a new one

Touch it. If you like the feel then take it

You don't need a color screen. You have voice. And the monochrome display can be read in direct sunlight...
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Apr 02, 2016, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by Gordon
Joined Aug 2000
3,951 Posts
If you can manage without The Gen 2's voice and some trainer thingy, it sounds as if Gen 1 Tx/Rx combos are available at a decent price in the USA

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...0#prod_manuals

Unless was an April fool joke
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Apr 02, 2016, 10:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,583 Posts
No, we've been selling them at that price for a few months.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 03, 2016, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by 2wall
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Jan 2005
15 Posts
I have to laugh at most of the Taranis threads.. We have 4 or 5 at my field and the guys are using them to fly quads. The Taranis is great if you want to write code for it, but none of them do.. They brag how much it can do and how easy it is.. It looks about the same ease as my 9303 was to program. BUT none of them write code for it and don't fly their expensive airplanes with them.. Just lemmings buying them because somebody said it was good to use for quads and its cheap.... Anyway, I do like my dx18v2 not in love with it.. but am thinking of selling it as most of my spectrum receivers are dsm2 and are probably over 8 years old. I A couple of my powersafe receivers that are hitting the 9 year old mark acted a bit funny this spring and lost bind. And my trusty spare 9303 and 12x both are needing service.. So I am thinking hard of moving on to something else. If you don't want the voice, the V1 is a bargain... I would rather have two new v1 dx18s than one v2.. Always have a spare transmitter. Even better when you can move models seamlessly between them with an sd card.
2wall is offline Find More Posts by 2wall
Last edited by 2wall; May 03, 2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 04, 2016, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by Made in Austria
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
1,898 Posts
Too expensive for what you get.
Made in Austria is offline Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Last edited by Made in Austria; May 04, 2016 at 01:15 AM.