Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
United States, WA, Clinton
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Build Log
Wilder than a March Hare (slope halfpipeilizer)

For a couple years I have been flying a hobbled together PNF lead sled with HN Extreme remnants 80oz. empty with about 80oz. in ballast with a 64" span. I keep dreading the day it gets totally smoked in a crash. The HN airfoil in the tips I have used for the Franken glider I have called the March Hare are very stable, and have worked incredibly well. If I had the ability I'd try reusing something derived from that airfoil. After last years May meet called affectionately the Tri Slope Six Pack, were I saw a kit called the Edge this airframe was running a very thin airfoil, and in seeing this I immediately thought of the modern day DLG airfoils. Around this neck of the woods in the Seattle area I have a few friends who are producing molded solid foam core DLG wings. These wings are around 60" in span a size that is nicely suitable for close proximity, or kinda close proximity sloping such as Lead Sled half pipe fun time.

I talked one of my slope buddies Lee (Killercando) into fabricating me a heavy layup ZoneV2 which weighed about 8.5oz. out of the gate. It now weighs 16.5oz. after facing, wipers, internal reinforcement, and joining.

The fuse master was shaped with the idea of sleek, BIG ballast (for a 60"er) batteries and not much more in the nose. servos in the wing, RX elevator servo, and some other craap in the vert. with a full flying elevator.

I'm running short on time right now so I'll post a few pics.
ploof is online now Find More Posts by ploof
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Got the kids to bed, I swear one of these days I'll get smart, and spring for some nets, and tranquilizer gun. It's a battle ever time...

Shaping of the fuse plug comprises of glueing up four lengths of cedar to create an axis of the main fuse body. For the vert. I sandwiched up bass wood 1/4" 1/16" 1/4" with black paint layers to register symmetry.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Next the plug is saturated with MGS resin, patched, and built up to a sandable coat. I took it down to wet sanding, and buffing.

Used 3/4" ply for the parting plane.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Started pouring fuse half, MGS with cabosil, and graphite for tooling coat, then glass, glass, and more glass.

Started outfitting wings first with a wiper kinda deal that is more structural then anything. The bull nose of the wiper is actually on the main portion of the wing opposite the usual method.

The surfaces are faced with CF rod, and bar stock added for strength. There are also eight lengths of CF rod and tube added to wings, and surfaces for strength. I had a piece of aluminum tape wrapped around a piece of rod to chuck in a drill to drill threw foam, along with a bolt inserted into the tube stock to be able to drill with that.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by killercando
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,588 Posts
Looking good Ploof... Keep em coming
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by nickjohnson
United States, CA, Madera
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Nice plane Ploof!!!!
nickjohnson is offline Find More Posts by nickjohnson
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
A one, and a two halves.

I left a trap door at the hinder for the expansion bladder.

At this point I've been sizing up gear install KST 125MG for the wing.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot this one for the wiper making, it works awesome. I saw it on some on line content from a real sailplane fabricator.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Here's my backwoods el cheapo full flying elevator recipe.

I use 3/4" balsa six pieces three for the top, and three for the bottom, two aluminum tubes 1/8" ID. For the length of each tube which is 8" I bevel away from the balsa creating a slot for the tubes. I tape all three lengths for each side together, then in the slots apply a healthy amount of resin w/cabosil to fill voids that may occur. over that I lay the wetted FG, at the mid span/root point I wrap a CF, and Kevlar layer LE to TE. Then with the ends of the tubes plugged I lay them in the slots. At this point I fold the CF, and Kevlar over top the tube LE to TE. Then the final pieces of fiber glass, followed by the top layer of balsa. This assembly is then put between a couple scraps of waxed mylar, then with some dense plywood top, and bottom I apply pressure with four clamps. Then to shape the profile use PSA sand paper on sanding blocks, after shaped I painted the raw balsa top, left the bottom bare, then apply wetted FG. After the first layer set I cleaned up the form, then brushed on thin resin with a minor amount of Cabosil. The resin was then sanded, wet sanded, and buffed with automotive buffing compound.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by jonesymj
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
935 Posts
Jeez when you get going on something man, you really get going! Looking awesome so far!
jonesymj is online now Find More Posts by jonesymj
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Howdy Jones

At this point I'm nearly 200 hours into the fabrication, and gear install. These pics are from maybe mid March at this point. Right know I'm addressing the wing saddle, and battling with torque rods. This is my first time I've used torque rods, last night I got them in pretty good shape hopefully they stay that way.

Here are shots from fuse layup and molding, I did a trial run with light glass just to see if things would cooperate, and they did. The paint went great but the krylon Orange looked more akin to brown. On my real deal layup I had trouble with my masking taking flight in the wind, I didn't want to get to carried away with tape because I had PVA under the paint, and it would delam in removing the tape.

With the masking flying away I also was way to impatient with the application so the day glo Orange weakened under following layers. Besides that I'm stoked on it's appearance.

The composite lay up is 1.4oz glass, 2.4oz uni carbon, 5oz Kevlar, then 1.4oz glass each half has this applied twice with an additional tapered scrap of the same in the nose back to the wing saddle. The vert. Has just glass with four layers of 1.4oz glass two layers of heavy glass must be something around 5oz glass (which turned out to be excessively heavy after molding) then a patch of 1.4oz glass, and 5 oz. Kevlar under the bellcrank area.

I'm using a expansion bladder which is a brass tube attached to a Stainless 1/8 T a lower pressure gauge, and a bike tube Schradder valve, at the tip of the tube I have a rubber tube with 1/4" ID to release friction on the bladder. For the bladder I used a seamless latex road bike tube tied at the end, and lashed down with a twisting balloon to the brass tube, over that I use a 6" qualtex twisting balloon to take wear and tear.
Last edited by ploof; Apr 29, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Wing joining consists of fitting, then installing CF rod stock, a few pieces of FG rod stock, and almost 6oz. of resin cabosil blend. The dihedral was set like an old two piece DLG wing build, with tape at the root for alignment, and blocks for jigging. I have no idea what the angle is, I had one tip off the table about 1". Pretty shallow dihedral wise, I figured I better add some for added insurance this thing will actually fly.

Next I opened the wing servo bay, and start eyeballing the wing linkage solutions.
Old May 01, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Here is the portion of this evenings festivities when I began chiseling away at the fuse.

I used a coping saw to cut out an estimated location of the wing saddle with giving consideration to the installation of two 5/8" OD ballast tubes each nearly 3' long each. I was initially intending that the wing fastening bolts to go threw that ballast bars, but then found there would be adequate room on either side of the tubes. The installation alongside the tubes would be as robust as the installation threw the bars with minor reinforcement at the heads of the fasteners for instance a plate, along with washers. In this installation I used a heavy gauge steel flashing metal in the profile of an omega symbol to cradle the bottom tube, this allows a place for the fastener heads to bare down upon.

The tail gear layout was thought estimated before the plug was made mimicking the installation in my March Hare lead sled. In the test run layup I found masking tape can provide a nice recess for a servo bay hatch.
Last edited by ploof; May 02, 2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old May 03, 2015, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by ploof
what makes that thing go
Joined Sep 2005
2,338 Posts
Final gear install, and wing mounting. The hex head shoulder bolts were alread, so after aligning the wing I drilled pilot holes for the connector nuts, then after fitting the wing to fuse fairing I fit stainless sheet to give the nut heads a larger foot print.

After installing the battery I ran the power lead, and the wing servo leads. Having the leads run I went for the RX, Zepsus switch, and elevator install.
Old May 03, 2015, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by winchdoc
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,774 Posts
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc