Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by Brian2006
Joined Nov 2007
120 Posts
Discussion
Nano QX does not fly properly - possibly due to low power output from rear motors?

I'm having strange flight issues with my nano qx. It seems to be underpowered and a little twitchy, especially when rudder is released with high throttle. It is extremely slow to climb with full throttle and forward pitch. I have tried to re-bind, clear motors of hair (none noted), replace props, and set trim to center to no avail.

Also, I have installed Micro warehouse Medium speed upgraded motors and am using Microheli 200mAh 3.7 35C batteries. I thought the motors may have drained all power out of the batteries so I purchased new batteries and that did not help. Also, I tried to re-install the original motors and I still have this same weird behavior.

One issue I noted is that the rear motors are significantly quieter than fronts. After a 1 or 2 minute flight, I further noticed the rear motors are much more hotter than fronts. I think this may have something to do with my problem. I have no idea where to start other than guess it has something to do with the transmitter (stock Blade) or the Control Unit. What should I do?
Brian2006 is offline Find More Posts by Brian2006
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by TomC
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
4,414 Posts
Sounds like you've tried just about everything. I doubt that the problem is with your Tx. Could be a problem with your board? Cannot really say for sure.

If I were you I would just go out and buy a BNF Nano QX and start all over again. Only ~$70 at HH;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/blade-he...nology-blh7680

Next time keep it all stock, time your flights for ~4 minutes so you do not go to lvc, and let your motors cool down for 5-10 minutes between flights. Also check you props. If you hold each motor in your fingers and run them up it should be very smooth. If not then the prop is either damaged and/or out of balance. Just replace it and try again.

If you do all this your nqx and your batteries will last a long time.
TomC is online now Find More Posts by TomC
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by Blade Runner 350
Drone Collector
Joined Dec 2014
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2006 View Post
I'm having strange flight issues with my nano qx. It seems to be underpowered and a little twitchy, especially when rudder is released with high throttle. It is extremely slow to climb with full throttle and forward pitch. I have tried to re-bind, clear motors of hair (none noted), replace props, and set trim to center to no avail.

Also, I have installed Micro warehouse Medium speed upgraded motors and am using Microheli 200mAh 3.7 35C batteries. I thought the motors may have drained all power out of the batteries so I purchased new batteries and that did not help. Also, I tried to re-install the original motors and I still have this same weird behavior.

One issue I noted is that the rear motors are significantly quieter than fronts. After a 1 or 2 minute flight, I further noticed the rear motors are much more hotter than fronts. I think this may have something to do with my problem. I have no idea where to start other than guess it has something to do with the transmitter (stock Blade) or the Control Unit. What should I do?
I dont own one of these Brian, but my guess is control board, as as a rough rule, the front motors get all the stick on quads. Get on to Horizon hobby and have a word. Hope you suss it, and get the little beast going ok again.
Blade Runner 350 is offline Find More Posts by Blade Runner 350
Old Dec 10, 2014, 03:44 PM
Joined Nov 2007
120 Posts
I appreciate your help. Could I get some other people's thoughts in here before I go out and basically buy another quad? At this point, I've replaced every single component on the nano qx other than the board!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by thrustboy
Make Stuff!
Pineville,NC USA
Joined Jan 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
At this point, I've replaced every single component on the nano qx other than the board!
So by process of elimination...
thrustboy is offline Find More Posts by thrustboy
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:02 PM
Drone Collector
Joined Dec 2014
3,017 Posts
Quote:
I appreciate your help. Could I get some other people's thoughts in here before I go out and basically buy another quad? At this point, I've replaced every single component on the nano qx other than the board!
Earth to Brian over...

As mentioned, phone HH and have a word with them...with maybe a quiet moan. They may send you a new board, or at least give you some pointers. They usually have reasonable customer service.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by Cannafish
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
858 Posts
It sounds like a fc issue. Talk to HH - although if you have run aftermarket motors they may not be happy to help. My nanoQX would only get 2 mins of flight times with MMW motors and the xtreme 200mAh batteries. I've soldered on a different power connector and use Ladybird style 380mAh batteries and it is MUCH better. Props play an HUGE role on nanoQX and the props from HH are crap - to put it bluntly. They come new with various pitch, are hard to balance and are bloody expensive for what they are. It is worth trying to get even pitch and get them balanced as well as you can.
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:48 PM
Drone Collector
Joined Dec 2014
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
It sounds like a fc issue. Talk to HH - although if you have run aftermarket motors they may not be happy to help. My nanoQX would only get 2 mins of flight times with MMW motors and the xtreme 200mAh batteries. I've soldered on a different power connector and use Ladybird style 380mAh batteries and it is MUCH better. Props play an HUGE role on nanoQX and the props from HH are crap - to put it bluntly. They come new with various pitch, are hard to balance and are bloody expensive for what they are. It is worth trying to get even pitch and get them balanced as well as you can.
Well said!, dont mention anything at all about none HH components.

Fancy that!, HH props being bad?.......never heard of that before...lol!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2007
120 Posts
I'm about to ask a dumb question. Why contact Horizon Hobby? Shouldn't I contact Blade directly? I purchased my nano from my local hobby store, not online from HH
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
7,643 Posts
Horizon Hobby is the company who manufactures Blades and other products. Did you ensure that there is no carpet fuzz built up on the shafts? Check it because it does happen and will result in the same things you mentioned as well .
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by Douglasers
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
I've replaced every individual basic on the nano qx added than.
Douglasers is offline Find More Posts by Douglasers
Old Dec 10, 2014, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by Cannafish
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner 350 View Post
snip...

Fancy that!, HH props being bad?.......never heard of that before...lol!

Yeah I know it sounds far fetched...
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined Nov 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
Horizon Hobby is the company who manufactures Blades and other products. Did you ensure that there is no carpet fuzz built up on the shafts? Check it because it does happen and will result in the same things you mentioned as well .
Replaced every single rotor prop before starting this thread. There was a little bit of hair on one of the rear motors, but it has since been cleared.