New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2015, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie View Post
I am 100% sure... That is a Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak... They make a whole bunch of different EPP profile planes in various sizes... They are some of the best out there but they are a little expensive... But they are worth it...

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/

Mark R.

old_coastie

OOOpppsss Sorry Dale... We must have been typing at the same time...
No problem......Flying RC planes has kept my old fingers Quick and Nimble
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
987 Posts
TBH I wouldn't use UMX equipment with a scratchbuild. I'd use lightweight gear, probably 2.3 gram Emax digital servos, featherlight lemonrx receiver (Only $5!), and Emax motor and BLHeli ESC.

That 'completed' electronics package shouldn't run you more than $45 using a single servo for the ailerons. Of course, you'd still need to buy a battery, but soldering on whatever connector you want would make it compatible with whatever battery you want to use with it. (When I did the mock shopping spree the electronics were compatible with 2s batteries.)
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old May 30, 2015, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
546 Posts
cant help it still thinking of a simple as3extra or possibly an inversa. I think before I do it I should throw the straight woing on my carbon cub and switch to the un modified radio so the rudder is on the left. I am steering it with the ailerons on the left stick . with the wee dihedral it makes bank and yank manuvers posible or easy just have to give a wee bit of up elevators when turning . Lastnight it was reasonably calm and I was doing figure 8 and going up and down the fb field from one goal post to another all steering with the left stick . I should try my radian I can plug the rudder servo in the rudder port on the rx instead of the aileron where PZ has it
My point no sense in getting a fancy nice and new inversa if its going to need repairs the first week.
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old May 30, 2015, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2014
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
TBH I wouldn't use UMX equipment with a scratchbuild. I'd use lightweight gear, probably 2.3 gram Emax digital servos, featherlight lemonrx receiver (Only $5!), and Emax motor and BLHeli ESC.

That 'completed' electronics package shouldn't run you more than $45 using a single servo for the ailerons. Of course, you'd still need to buy a battery, but soldering on whatever connector you want would make it compatible with whatever battery you want to use with it. (When I did the mock shopping spree the electronics were compatible with 2s batteries.)
where do i get a feather light lemonrx receiver from ? and what size emax motor?
Old May 30, 2015, 04:21 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
987 Posts
http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...&product_id=92

http://www.emaxmodel.com/brushless-motor/gt2203.html
Old May 31, 2015, 12:58 AM
Joined Aug 2014
546 Posts
wow thanks for that info i might just have to do a scratch build lol now for the prop adapter prop and servos i belive yo mentioned those in a prior post on this thread
Old May 31, 2015, 01:23 AM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
987 Posts
Well, I'll let you do the rest of the research for that.
Old Jun 01, 2015, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by old_coastie
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
wow thanks for that info i might just have to do a scratch build lol now for the prop adapter prop and servos i belive yo mentioned those in a prior post on this thread
FF

Depending on what kit you order, or what plan you decide to work from, there will most likely be a recommended setup that goes with that plane...

Not all planes fly the same motor/esc/prop setup... likewise servo size depends on plane control surface size... for flat foamies usually 5gr minimum or 9gr.... unless you choose a super light model...

The Lemon "Feather Light" is an excellent choice for just about any foam plane..

Pick your plane, then start figuring out what "that" plane needs... Not the other way around...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Jun 01, 2015, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2014
546 Posts
sounds like a plan coastie. but I was just thinking ahead of time for what the next plane is going to be. as for the lemon receiver that's a life saver or should i say scratch build hobby saver. the problem with the umx parts is that by the time you buy the guts youv spent more then a brand new plane. for now I cant even afford to buy a new 3 s for my radian and its getting into dead calm thermaly thunder stormity weather here in fl but the area i live in is a rain/t storm void. hasn't rained in over 3 weeks. so naturaly I want to get my radian ready to go.
Its a heavily modified Radian with a full flying elevator, hk glider drive motor, Graupnercam 12 inch prop and I have 2 wings one standard and 1 with flaps and the whole wing tips swivle on a custom carbon rod and tube to act like ailerons. I want to straighten them and change the elevator so it pivots 90 degrees from the fuselage axis. I saw a video of someone hovering one with ease . I don't know how they did it but the prop has a good amount of down and right angle to it . In my ferret mind that would fight trying to hover and I was thinking of straightening the prop so its in line with the fuselage axis??? makes sense?
I will say it again and again I dont care what a plane was designed to do, If you modify it enough you can make it do anything Its all part of a litle thing that seems to have got lost in the American spirit called discovery or experimentation. Now a days all we here is don't try this at home. or like the old man at the hobby store keeps telling me leave it the way it is. thats ok if you have the kind of money those guys on you tube have that do an un boxing and maiden flight video for every new plane out there. so If i can switch from a regular wing to a modified wing for my radian and adjust a control linkage and instantly go from a stock radian to a full blown aerobatic glider then go back again in minuits then so be it lol. I can go from ground to a vertical climb as soon as i hit full throttle then level off at 1000' and the thing does tighter loops then my carbon cub. as for the 3d micros I would still like to experiment with my own design. just wondering why a plain foam yack costs around 100 dollars and yet the design looks so simple
Old Jun 02, 2015, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by old_coastie
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,715 Posts
FF

It has been referred to as CTS (Compulsive Tinkering Syndrome), many of us on RCGroups have it...

BTW the down and right motor thrust angle is present on many aircraft by design and it can actually result in better handling... Has to do with what is referred to a "P" factor (precession) and the effect of prop wash over/under the wing... Whole threads are dedicated to it so won't even begin to try and explain it here...

Just remember, "Different Strokes for Different Folks", Only two major rules that I follow in this Hobby... Have Fun and Be Safe... Everything else is secondary...

Best Wishes

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:19 AM
Joined Aug 2014
546 Posts
I once straightened the prop on a micro radian and It did not handle very well , Any way this conversation is leaving the topic. so when I get started on my 3 d ish mod I will start a thread or post my weasults in the radian mod thread, I will pm you if i do so you can check it out.
on my very friendly airbrush forum they refer to it as thread jacking lol and alow it for fun but were leaving the should I get this plane or that plane topic,

As for as3xtra vs s back I would have to go with the sback. is can fly fast and aerobatic , Hovering over the living room couch and coffee table on a rainy or windy day has its apeal but until I get to see how the xtra does outside at full throtle it seems to be something I would get bored with quickly. I like to go way up high and see how fast i can loose orientation . with that i will no longer post here the question has been answered. I will still look here every day to se whats new
Old Jun 21, 2015, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by samuelodog
Joined Jun 2015
8 Posts
WLtoys V686g or Hubsan 107d FPV long range

Hi all.

I am a newbie, wanting a cheapish quadcopter which has live view, can record, has a decent camera and a decent range.

My budget is sub 200 - but would prefer to stick about the 100 mark.

Would anybody recommend either the WLtoys V686g or Hubsan 107d? Or even the jjrc v686? Or a blade qx?

Is there any other copter that would be better?

My concern about the hubsan is the camera quality.

I also looked at the Syma X5sw - but the range is short and apparently its no good in wind.

Last question - is there a way to upgrade any of these, for example would a cloverleaf antenna work any miracles on range?

Before anybody says - do you need FPV - the answer is yes! Its precisely what interests me about these drones - it would enable me to fly over the grounds and check that the gates (I help manage someone else's large property) are shut, the horses alive etc!

Many MANY thanks in advance.!!

Sam
samuelodog is offline Find More Posts by samuelodog
Last edited by samuelodog; Jun 21, 2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:34 AM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelodog View Post
Hi all.

I am a newbie, wanting a cheapish quadcopter which has live view, can record, has a decent camera and a decent range.

My budget is sub 200 - but would prefer to stick about the 100 mark.

Would anybody recommend either the WLtoys V686g or Hubsan 107d? Or even the jjrc v686? Or a blade qx?

Is there any other copter that would be better?

My concern about the hubsan is the camera quality.

I also looked at the Syma X5sw - but the range is short and apparently its no good in wind.

Last question - is there a way to upgrade any of these, for example would a cloverleaf antenna work any miracles on range?

Before anybody says - do you need FPV - the answer is yes! Its precisely what interests me about these drones - it would enable me to fly over the grounds and check that the gates (I help manage someone else's large property) are shut, the horses alive etc!

Many MANY thanks in advance.!!

Sam
Most of the products your listed are wifi FPV- which isn't 'real' FPV. If you want a good range quad with good range video it's going to run you WAY over your $100 budget. Trust me when I say that you shouldn't trust a ready- to- go 'long range' quad for under $100.

If you're truly looking for long rang in multirotors or even in fixed wing later down the road I advise you to get your HAM license so that you are legally certified to operate higher- power FPV equipment.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by samuelodog
Joined Jun 2015
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
Most of the products your listed are wifi FPV- which isn't 'real' FPV. If you want a good range quad with good range video it's going to run you WAY over your $100 budget. Trust me when I say that you shouldn't trust a ready- to- go 'long range' quad for under $100.

If you're truly looking for long rang in multirotors or even in fixed wing later down the road I advise you to get your HAM license so that you are legally certified to operate higher- power FPV equipment.
Thanks, WiFi fpv is fine, only need couple hundred metre range at the most. What's the best of the above? Ta
samuelodog is offline Find More Posts by samuelodog