New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by sozayday
United States, MA, Burlington
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
Electrifly Catalina need help

I just purchased a completed Electrifly PBY catalina and can't get a water takeoff. The builder said they did two snow takeoffs without issue earlier and that was it. The motors they put in are Turingy D2830/11 1000kV. Full specs below. The recommended motor is the Rimfire 28 30 950kV is this an acceptable substitute?
I found that the drain plug leaked. I sealed it and made a drain plug above the water level. The CG is spot on.
What happens when I take off. I do get one of the wing floats in the water which is hard to avoid. Should neither be in the water when I take off? Is this a death sentence?

I get water wake off the nose that hit's the props. This slows them down and makes the plane steer. Is this normal? Obviously not good but is it expected to happen at times?
Thanks,
Adam

Turingy D2830/11 Specs:
Rpm/V: 1000kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~4S (7.4v to 14.8v)
Weight: 52g
Watts: 210w
Max Current: 21A
ESC: 30A
sozayday is offline Find More Posts by sozayday
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Ron
Find More Posts by Ron
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,356 Posts
water in the props is not good....if the model will not take off from water...perhaps your wing incidence is incorrect ( not enough)
the Tidewater needs to have the wing incidence increased before it becomes a decent model.....lowering the trailing edge of the wing by 5/16" makes it take off and fly much better.landings are also improved greatly. ....When I had a Catalina, this wing incidence thing was the problem. you can also add reversed chines to the hull to stop spray going into the props. added together these two mods should get you in the air.... and use the ailerons to keep the tip floats out of the water... Mine would land better with the tip floats retracted, and then deployed
after touch down. Float flying, especially takeoffs and landings are a little more sensitive than land based models, but once you get the knack, it's great fun.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
. . . the Tidewater needs to have the wing incidence increased before it becomes a decent model.....
Apparantly not all of them. I know two that are great as they come. Though I did put a 3/32" thick ply washer under the pylon bolt as it started to wobble.

I have noticed with the Catalina (a friend has one - also a Tidewater) that the props take a LOT of spray. He added a shim of about 3/8" to his upper pylon to get the props up for better clerarance.
Charlie P (NY) is offline Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)