New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by moonraker007
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2014
125 Posts
Discussion
fpv from the couch

so i want to sit in my living room and fly around my neighborhood , I;ve figured out my video feed and have my 5.8 rx ant. mounted on my rooftop. took 15 ft of composite rca cable and 12 vlt power supply and wired it up, the signal looks good. up there so far!

my question to you all is.. how do i splice into my transmitter antenna to attach to an sma rf cable to the 2.4 or 72 mhz tx antenna on my roof, ..

1. what rf coax should i use
2. which sma fittings do i need to crimp to the tx antenna wire?
moonraker007 is offline Find More Posts by moonraker007
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:21 AM
Find More Posts by boto99
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
Hey mate, I've been trying to do the same thing except I've made a dedicated hobby/fpv room, I will probably make a thread about it. I have my video setup sorted using a sma extender off ebay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261716349...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

and for radio I have soldered an sma connector onto my RF module on my cheap hk-t6a remote. I know nothing about what co-ax to use on your radio though i just used whatever i had laying around.

Also i have read that running too much cable will make the signal weaker so that is just something to consider, Maybe there is a booster or something?
boto99 is offline Find More Posts by boto99
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2014
125 Posts
i figure your right on the signal loss, so should i just have the tx module mounted to the antenna on the roof, now that i think of it, it's much easier actually to just run 15 feet of servo wire to the module upstairs on my roof, and tap the pins in the module and just plug into my tx in the living room
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by KCStar
United States, WI, Poynette
Joined Mar 2011
171 Posts
Last fall when the weather started getting cold I set my ground station into the living room and thought I just see how well I could fly my QX 180 around the yard. I was quite pleased with how it worked. I ran my video out though a window to the 1258 MHz antenna and just used my DX7 sitting in my easy chair. Control range was reduced, but I wasn't expecting a lot. I was able to get several hundred feet of solid control. I was also able to fly completely around the house. When the snow came I made a tricopter and used dragonlink for control. I was then able to fly 2500 feet behind trees. I didn't use an outside antenna for control at all.
Kent
KCStar is offline Find More Posts by KCStar
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by branflakes
Joined Jan 2011
2,381 Posts
16ft sma extension
16ft is ugly long lol. it runs out the house, up the wall, to a tall dowell hooked to side of house. if i just had some duct tape we'd be all southern set.

there is wifi booster pre out and a smart guy did the math for me we found out after my booster and w cable loss im prob still pumping out 30mw, but radiated 15 feet high so it still beats a stock phantoms range they run about 40 mw per HGT threads.

Aquarium+drone (6 min 10 sec)
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Last edited by branflakes; Apr 29, 2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by branflakes
Joined Jan 2011
2,381 Posts
flying from inside usually gets some flamage but i take mitigating risks

i flew at a time nobody is out per the vid. my craft is id'd by ham sign and number, during non snow mos im at 2 am meeting similar criteria. max height prob 150 ft.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Last edited by branflakes; Apr 29, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Multirotors, Planes, LOS, FPV
United States, MO, Moscow Mills
Joined Oct 2013
290 Posts
Perhaps someone else might have better luck than I have searching RCGroups but I remember reading a thread where they had done a lot of extensive testing on this very subject. A guy had a large tower and mounted a repeater on it, did videos of distance testing, etc... They discussed quite a bit of detail. I'll keep searching and see if I can find it.
MrMikeMartin is offline Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
171 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2286487
Here's one, I think there is another somewhere I'll keep trying.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
171 Posts
Here's the one I was looking for.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1676689
Old May 01, 2015, 01:22 AM
Joined Feb 2014
125 Posts
interesting finds you guys posted, thanks, I think i'm going to mount my radios' TX module on my roof in a weather proof box, and screw on a 72 mhz antenna , i figured the lower freq will get me an advantage overall. i'll just run 15 feet of 3 conductor servo wire to the module from my futaba radio.