Old Mar 06, 2015, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by jwarlord
crash test dummy
United States, CA, La Mesa
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Discussion
Lazy servo syndrome

I have a bit of a conundrum. I have a 60" moldie with flaps; Every time I power up the plane for flight, one of the flap servos has a different setting than the other. I put a drop of CA. on the threaded clevis after an adjustment so it stays in line with the other flap. Arriving at the slope the next time I power up the plane and the same servo is in a different position again. The trim pots. on the radio remain the same as before so that rules out the radio. Is it just a lazy servo thing or what? the adjustment is not great but is needed for smooth operation and remains good until the plane is un plugged. also the control horns are tight. so what gives? Servos are epoxied in place and are not stripped in any way so no movement there . I have never encountered this before, could it be in the servo circuitry ?
jwarlord is offline Find More Posts by jwarlord
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2015, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by Soarmark
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Most likely might be a dirty servo feedback pot. However, the servo dead band and linkage geometry can affect control surfaces centering accurately. Additionally, wide temperature changes can also affect control surface centering.

Way back in my earlier flying days I had a radio that almost always required a slight trim change on power up. My new radio equipment doesn't have that quirk.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark