Find More Posts by davidterrell80
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
Contest
BBCC 6 -- 6th Balsa Builders Conversion Contest

"BBCC 6" -- 6th Balsa Builders Conversion Contest Thread

The Goal: Build yourself a flying model, constructed predominantly of balsa and derived from an existing model, kit or plans, changing your model's "mode of control" from that used by the prototype (i.e. FF, CL, RC) to a different mode. Examples include: FF to RC, CL to RC, RC to FF, etc.

Notice: The dates associated with this contest are two months later than previous contests. I am changing the dates to allow a better chance of getting a first flight opportunity before winter sets in, in the respective hemispheres.
See the answers to Frequently Asked Questions in Post #3, below, for additional information.

Significant Dates:

Contest Start:............01 FEB 2015 (This date is in line with the previous schedule, to allow those wanting to roll previous projects to do so. Build Threads should be started)
Entries Close:............30 JUN 2015 (No entries accepted after this date)
Primary Build period:.....01 JUL 2015 to 30 SEP 2015
Contest Ends:.............30 SEP 2015
------ Aircraft must have proof of flight posted by this date to be considered for judging in BBCC 6

Polling Begins:...........01 OCT 2015
Polling Ends:.............31 OCT 2015

All deadlines are at at the end of the specified day, at midnight UTC.
Judging Criteria:
Best Build – this title will be voted on by RCG members in the month following the Contest End. The Contest Director will create a separate thread containing a poll and links to each thread to facilitate the voting.
Prizes:

1. A brand new plane for each contestant, the work of your own hands.
2. Satisfaction in your efforts.
3. Recognition by your peers.

And, for the Winner:

4. Your choice of:
4a. One StevensAero kit from their "Micro Builder Program", provided by David Terrell
SweetDream Ultralight
SE5a
Piper PA-15 Vagabond
MicroMAX 103
Fly Baby
Corben Baby Ace
Clipped Wing Taylorcraft
C-180 Say's Nuh
1931 Heath LNB-4 Parasol
1931 Avro 534
1911 Caudron Racer
4b. "... a kit or plans of whatever I have ready at the end. Right now it would be plans for Neo 180 or Shrike 180, kit of Kwik Fli 3 (180 size), Li'l Satan 180, or Ugly Stick 180 (and probably a Sweet and Low 180)" provided by Andy Kunz.
How to participate:
  1. Decide your subject.
  2. Announce your subject and intention to participate in this thread.
  3. The contest director will add your information to the list of participants, below.
  4. Create (or rename) a Build Thread, on RCGroups.com, for your subject. Name the thread in conformance with the following standard: BBCC 6 – PlaneName – UserName. In post #1, mention your involvement in the “6th Balsa Builders Conversion Contest” and provide a link to this thread.
  5. Post a link to your Build Thread in this forum.
  6. Build your subject, using your RCGroups build thread to document your progress with comments and photos, asking for help when needed.
  7. Document your subject’s first flight with a video or still photograph, posting the proof on your build thread and announcing the flight in this thread.
  8. Enjoy the plaudits of your colleagues and the thrill of flying your creation.
Participants: links to flown aircraft with proof of flight are made Bold
  1. 55 Special -- davidterrell80
  2. Westland Lysander -- ckimmy
  3. Curtiss XP-55 Ascender -- builderdude
  4. Dumas P-26 Peashooter -- CF105
  5. Sig 29'er -- davidterrell80
  6. Li'l Satan -- AndyKunz
  7. Gee Bee R2 -- builderdude
  8. Altagerra -- Old_Pilot
  9. FW-190 -- bcredneck
  10. Ryan Navion -- Joker 53150
  11. Pietenpol AirCamper -- ARUP
  12. Sky Flyer -- Patzpaint
  13. Little Monster -- flyced
  14. Midway "Miss America" -- PGregory
  15. DeHavilland DH-80 Puss Moth -- victapilot
  16. Barovkov D Fighter -- Old_Pilot
  17. Scientific "Stunt Trainer" -- AndyKunz
  18. Rivets RC-to-CL -- propaplace
  19. Bristol Beaufighter -- victapilot
  20. Hughes H-1 Racer -- bcredneck
  21. Jinty -- davidterrell80
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jul 01, 2015 at 12:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2015, 07:57 PM
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How many aircraft have the BBCCs produced?
A: As of the beginning of BBCC 6, 24 new aircraft have flown, as a result of the contest. The first "Kitbash" contest, had 17 build threads, 5 of which were flown. BBCC 2 had 20 entries, with 8 flying before the end of the contest. BBCC 3 had 22 entries and 3 finished. BBCC4 had 9 builds with 4 finishers. BBCC5 had 23 entries and 4 finished. A linked list to aircraft finished in these contests is located HERE.
Q: What general restrictions apply to my model?
A: Your model must conform with all appropriate safety regulations for the country in which it operates.
Q: Can I build a Giant Scale model? or Ultra Micro?
A: Yes. There are no size limitations outside those imposed by your government, modeling association, and the calendar restrictions of the contest deadlines.
Q: Can my model be a glider? or Rubber-powered?
A: Yes. There are no power source restrictions except those implied above, relating to safety issues.
Q: Do I have to use Balsa?
A: Mostly. In all cases, the overall construction of the aircraft should conform with the contest's "Balsa Builders" intent to promote the construction of "traditional" flying structures made of balsa. The use of non-Balsa structural materials such as hardwoods, plywood, fiberglass, kevlar, or carbon filament for localized high strength in critical areas is allowable. The use of foam is restricted to non-load bearing structures such as prop spinners, wing-fuselage intersection fairings, ducts for ducted-fan powered models, and possibly, hatches, where the use of foam would simplify or enhance the model.
Q: What if I need additional time to complete my model, due to unforeseen personal or professional events?
A: The contest will end on the specified date. However, models that are not completed and have not flown are eligible for entry in the next contest.
Q: It is getting near the deadline. What time zone governs the cutoff?
A: Issues arising from critical dates and deadlines will be decided based upon the UTC time standard, subject to the decision of the contest director, with the advice of the other builders. The intent of this contest is to be inclusive as possible, while remaining considerate of the effort expended by other participants.
Q: I wish I could participate but I do not have the time, at present. When will I have another chance?
A: There will be another contest soon. Our intent is to run this contest twice-annually, setting the dates to appeal to the "winter building seasons" in both North and South Hemispheres. There is, however, no geographic restriction preventing any entry in any contest.
Q: Is it fair that the Contest Director is also a Participant?
A: As Contest Directors do not judge the winner, they are not prohibited from participating in the contest they are directing. Any disputes can be appeared to the RCGroups staff.
Q: Can I enter a build thread for a plane that I've already completed and flown?
A: No. If the plane has flown successfully, it is not "eligible" for the contest. One of the benefits clear from the first contest is the joy experienced in the shared effort of building these planes together, encouraging others while being encouraged. You can, however, post a link to the build and a photo of the plane. We would love to see what you've accomplished, learn from your efforts, and complement the good work you've done.
Q: Can I convert a plane the "other direction," from radio-control to another mode of control such as FF, CL or autonomous flight?
A: While the rules of BBCC 2 are not written to allow such a project, the idea has merit. As the first contest was described as a "kitbash" but allowed a scratch build in the spirit of inclusion, this contest will allow any project that converts a design or plan to a different "mode of control" than that it was originally intended.
Q: Does an entry have to be from a kit or plans, or can it be scratch built from my mind?
A: The contest's intent is to encourage the conversion of a non-radio control plan or kit to radio control; or, as seen in a recent answer, from one "mode of control" to another. If you have already built and flown the plane you designed as a FF or CL and want to build a "revised edition" as a RC, then it would meet the spirit of the contest.
Q: What if I'm not comfortable with the mechanics of building and maintaining a Thread?
A: There is a place on RCGroups where you can build a prototype of your thread. It is a separate Test Forum located HERE. You can go to the Test Forum. create a thread, and play with your posts until it looks the way you want; without risking "losing face." Once you have it looking good, you have the option of asking the administrators to move your draft thread to another forum, or you can edit the post, copy the "code" from the grey editing box, create a new thread in the forum of your choice, and paste that into the editing box of the actual Build Thread.
Q: How far can I modify my build's structure and stay within the rules? I'd like to go the built up route for the taifeathers to try and save a bit of weight.
A: The goal is the conversion of the prototype into "your model". Any reasonable change to the structure needed to achieve an efficiently flying model aircraft is acceptable. For example, most FF models will need movable, hinged control surfaces for RC flight. A change such as the modification of the tail surfaces from "solid" to "built up" is perfectly reasonable; as long as one can see the "genealogy" between the prototype and your airplane. One has to be able to see the echo of the prototype in your model, to comply with the spirit of the contest. When you do deviate, it's worth a short discussion in your build thread, with a photo or two. In this way, your deliberations are recorded in the spirit of helping some other modeler in the future, facing similar decisions; another goal of the contest.
Q: Is a RC conversion of a Guillow's kit eligible for the contest? They often have a small section on the build instructions "hey, do you want to build this RC" but there is little (if any) real solid information. The kits were designed to be rubber-powered free-flight models.
A: Yes. The conversion of a Guillow's (or any other manufacturer's kit) is acceptable. It is the conversion from one mode of control to another that satisfies the intention of the contest. How you go about converting the airframe (adding rudder, elevator and {maybe} ailerons) is up to you. Others will learn from you and the other participants will be happy to make suggestions.
Q: What are the "contest" criteria? What is a model judged upon? Quality of build (often tough to see in a thread)? Problem-solving? Looks sharp?
A: The rating of a build will be based on the subjective judgement of those persons voting, at contest end.
Q: Can one use foam in the fabrication of a hatch?
A: Yes. The use of foam is restricted to non-load bearing structures such as prop spinners, wing-fuselage intersection fairings, ducts for ducted-fan powered models, and possibly, hatches, where the use of foam would simplify or enhance the model.
Q: Where should BBCC participants spend their off-topic discussion hours?
A: While isolated, short off-topic exchanges are acceptable in this thread, discussions should quickly return to the business of the contest. Sustained off-topic discussions should be taken to the BBCC Off-topic Thread, which shall remain open indefinitely, from contest to contest. Discussion there will be limited only by RCGroups guidelines.
Q: Can I compete the same build thread in two, simultaneous, contests?
A: No. After experimenting with one case, I decided not to allow future situations in which the same airframe and thread are entered in two contests. With the exception of the one thread, granted permission to test the possibility, an aircraft and its thread become ineligible if concurrently entered in another contest as a participant.
Q: May I start an second build in the same contest?
A: Yes, a participant can have up to three open build threads under the BBBC contests. However, you must start the projects before entries close. This decision provides for a participant to conceivably wrap up a first build that did not quite make the deadline of a previous contest; work on a second build for the current contest; and, simultaneously, shepherd a third, long-term project that would span two or three contests.

Questions arising in this contest

Q: Can I enter a CL plane, if I am adding RC auxiliary functions, such as throttle and retracts, without changing the way the rudder and elevator are controlled?
A: No, as the fundamental "mode of control" will not change; the plane would still be considered a "control line aircraft". A fundamental characteristic of the BBCCs include changing (or, in the case of creating a FF plane, eliminating) the "mode of control" that connects the pilot to the flight controls (rudder, elevator, ailerons). Since we allow gliders, I consider throttle to be outside my definition of "flight controls", unless it substitutes for elevator.
Q: Can I enter if the build thread is on another modelling-related website?
A: No. The contest is hard enough to manage and monitor when threads are in multiple forums of a single website.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Feb 07, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:09 PM
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
I am rolling over the 55 Special FF to RC conversion.
The build thread is located HERE.

Here are the major components, on the floor with my AgWagon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
changing your model's "mode of control" from that used by the prototype (i.e. FF, CL, RC) to a different mode.
Dang

Maybe next year!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by ckimmey
Master of the 1 point landing
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Aug 2011
509 Posts
Rolling over my BBCC5 entry... the Westland Lysander 60". O.S. 25LA powered. Full house control with flaps.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2232473
ckimmey is offline Find More Posts by ckimmey
Old Feb 01, 2015, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by builderdude
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
3,502 Posts
Rolling over my BBCC5 entry also. The Curtis XP-55 converted from FF glider.
The plane was completed a few months ago.
We have had wind and weather issues for the last few months, so it was not able to maiden.
I should be able to get it maidened under BBCC6.
The reason the Baby Gryphon maidened despite the wind is simply BECAUSE it's a flying wing. They tend to like the wind anyway.
The XP-55 requires a calm day.

I might do another entry. I just haven't really decided what.
But since we have time to decide...I'll think about it.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Feb 02, 2015, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by kristjane
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Slovenia, Novo mesto, Šentjernej
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
To bad for me, my model is mostly from light plywood.
kristjane is offline Find More Posts by kristjane
Old Feb 02, 2015, 08:27 AM
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
And now, we are three.

55 Special -- davidterrell80
Westland Lysander -- ckimmy
Curtiss XP-55 Ascender -- builderdude

kristjane, the contest is long. There are wonderful small kits and plans available. Do you not need two planes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,862 Posts
My last build met all the criteria except one. It was a full house RC build of a 1963 single channel escapement plan.

Was there any consideration of a build changing from that configuration to full house RC?
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
Last edited by AA5BY; Feb 02, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 08:32 AM
UM-to-60-inch fixed wing
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
And for those looking for plans, in addition to the wonderful Outerzone website, there are several threads in the Vintage planes forum that always call to me.

Planes older than 1960 -- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873
Planes younger than 1960 -- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273786
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Feb 02, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by kristjane
Have a nice day! Kristjan
Slovenia, Novo mesto, Šentjernej
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
And now, we are three.

55 Special -- davidterrell80
Westland Lysander -- ckimmy
Curtiss XP-55 Ascender -- builderdude

kristjane, the contest is long. There are wonderful small kits and plans available. Do you not need two planes?
I know, but I have two little problems. First is that I build planes that I designed, second one is my girlfriend not allowing me to bring (build) new model in house.
If I can compete with my queen bee (still working on few details before covering - about 20 hours), would be great, if not, I will just watch thread.
kristjane is offline Find More Posts by kristjane
Old Feb 02, 2015, 12:07 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
3,502 Posts
That is one of the things I tried to get changed on BBCC, but most people didn't want to allow original designs. The only way you can is if it started life as something else.
Old Feb 02, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,207 Posts
Is it an "original design" if I start with the outlines of something and fill in the construction details differently?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2015, 04:42 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Is it an "original design" if I start with the outlines of something and fill in the construction details differently?

Andy
Not really. Well it is and it isn't.
Take my Vampire for example. I may have started off with the Outerzone plan, but by the time I enlarged and reinforced it for EDF, it was more mine than the original designer's. But design-bashing and kit-bashing are necessary for the goals of this contest. So that's allowed.