New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by rjrobbin
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Build Log
12 foot Telemaster Laser Cut kit

I saw this kit advertised several months ago. I have built several large kits, ie. Ray Hayes Olympic III, Big Birds and Merlyn etc. Including a senior Telemaster.

I was attracted by the term 'building experience'. So I ordered the kit on Monday and received it on Wednesday.

I have done other build logs. So I will do the same here. I hope it will provide some enjoyment as I progress along.

As mentioned above, I have a senior Telemaster and it flies great.

This will be much larger. I am not a giant airplane type person..I only have a car to transport the planes to the flying field. The seats fold down so I can get some large sail plane wings in it.

Not sure this plane will fit..However, my daughter has a van and I will call on here if required. One other thing...I feel kind of like the guy who built a boat in his basement and no idea of how he was going to get it to water...this is where I am.

I am attaching the out of the box photo. The box weighed 35#....all wood. The laser cutting is excellent...The four sheets of plans are included along with a build manual and hardware pack.

I will do my best to follow the recommended process.
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Last edited by rjrobbin; Aug 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by jonquinn
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,422 Posts
Neat. I'd like to build one of these too - is this the new laser cut version? Isn't this supposed to break down into smaller pieces (2 piece fuselage) but of course the wings would still be pretty big at 6' each.

Have you watched the video of the 12' telecaster dropping payloads of corn for deer to eat?
12' Telemaster Deer Feeder.wmv (8 min 16 sec)

This very deer feeding plane sold not long ago here on RCG, and for a pretty nice price too. I wish I was still traveling down to Tuscaloosa for work, as I would have jumped on that deal.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
Neat. I'd like to build one of these too - is this the new laser cut version? Isn't this supposed to break down into smaller pieces (2 piece fuselage) but of course the wings would still be pretty big at 6' each.

Have you watched the video of the 12' telecaster dropping payloads of corn for deer to eat?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cdLnhCW...%3DcdLnhCWbHqw

This very deer feeding plane sold not long ago here on RCG, and for a pretty nice price too. I wish I was still traveling down to Tuscaloosa for work, as I would have jumped on that deal.
Yes this is the laser cut version

Well....the fuselage does not break down..however, the stabilizer and rudder/fin can be removed as an assembly. The servos are mounted to the assembly...this could be the saving grace as far as getting the bird into my car. The wings are 6 feet and the chord is almost 24 inches......

I may end selling this once I get it built...( make offers ) i.e may be just to big to haul around with my transportation...nothing against the kit..i.e advertised as big....
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Getting started

I did an inventory of the supplied items as suggested in the build guide.

Several laser cut sheets were duplicated..ie. probably just an error in the manual and an extra sheet 1a that was not listed. There were some 36 inch x 1/16 inch sheets that were only 4 inches wide compared to the manual that indicated 6 inch wide sheets....Sent a note off to Hobby Lobby for clarification.

I bundled the sticks according to size and separated the hardware. Looked as if everything else was complete.

I organized the laser cut sheets in numerical order as suggested. 91 sheets in all counting the duplicates. Because of the laser cutting, parts will tend to fall out if not careful. I used masking tape to hold some parts in place...not an issue. Just be careful handling the sheets.

Prepared an 8 foot building surface...its only 18 inches wide which may be an issue.

Next the assembly.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Stabilizer

After constructing the alignment pins, I started on the stabilizer. The yellow rule on the top is my straight edge..it has a nice edge for aligning parts. The center section has lead shot bags to keep the parts against the boards..the outer ribs are space holders keep the trailing edge in place..I had to splice the two 1/8 by 1/2 inch hardwood spars.

Note...I am following the build log on rc-universe. I cut away the material against the pin area on the blocks so that when the nail was inserted, it didn't cause a dimple that would interfere with parts placed on top for alignment.
Last edited by rjrobbin; Aug 27, 2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added assembly note.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Stabilizer almost done

I have the shear webs, leading edge and hinge point blocks installed.

The plans called for a 1/2 x 3/4 x 48 inch stick for the leading edge....not there. I used two 1/2 x 1 x 36 inch sticks spliced together and trimmed to size.

The directions call for placing the shear webs against the inside of the ribs..the shear webs are about 3/16 inch short of filling the area between the ribs...from my sail plane building, I always try to get a tight fit here so that when the top spar is placed, the structure is stronger ( my belief ). I also sanded the top of the shear webs just slightly so that when the top spar is in place it is flush with the ribs......
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Stabilzer done

I finished the stabilizer. Did the initial sanding.

On the wing tips, I used a 1/8 inch spacer to set the gussets then did the 45 degree sanding....came out good.

The parts for the kit have fit very well...Impressed with the laser cutting

This is big...can't image how big the wings are going to end up..
Old Aug 29, 2013, 05:53 AM
Find More Posts by malitape
USA, FL, Palm Bay
Joined May 2008
31 Posts
Glad to have found this thread. I plan on building one in near future. Pics are worth a thousand etc, etc. So please take a lot of them to share.

pete
malitape is offline Find More Posts by malitape
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malitape View Post
Glad to have found this thread. I plan on building one in near future. Pics are worth a thousand etc, etc. So please take a lot of them to share.

pete
There is another build thread in rcuniverse....it has lots of pictures..that guy is three months ahead of me......It has been enjoyable so far. Thanks for looking in.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Elevator finished

I doubled up on the hinge blocks...i.e two at a time on the alignment pins.

The assembly went together with out any issue. I have one picture showing the structure with masking tape holding the leading edge of the elevator so I had good contact with the ribs and hinge blocks.

I used blue painters tape to protect the ribs while sanding.

I have several views with the elevator with the sanding done.

I used a band saw and cut the hinge bevels per the directions.i.e 26 up 35 down.

The last two shots show the stabilizer elevator assemble.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Vertical fin

The vertical fin is made up of four laminated parts...construction is straight forward.

The tail group is taking shape.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:16 PM
KNS
Find More Posts by KNS
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
465 Posts
subscribed and watching with interest
KNS is offline Find More Posts by KNS
Old Aug 31, 2013, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by Ken USA
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
663 Posts
That video really presents a nice flying plane. WOW!
Looks like an awe inspiring build.
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Old Sep 04, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Rudder assembly

The rudder parts were laid out and then glued together according to the instructions...nothing special...I did some sanding, beveled the leading edge and added it to the tail assembly....nest the fuselage.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
320 Posts
Fuselage side assembly

The forward fuselage is composed of six parts that are glued together and then laminated. The aft-end of the fuselage is composed of 4 parts. I glued and laminated the two forward sides with gorilla glue. I practiced with some scrap wood to get the process down. If you use to much, the glue will foam and make a mess. I attempted to clean up any excess as it was curing, especially in the cut outs.

Notice, there is a decision point here...i.e make two right sides, make two left sides or in my case, a left and a right. I marked the inner surface with an 'I'.

I laid all the parts out then glued them together. I had the outside surface down. I then turned that side over, inserted the alignment pins and place the other side over it. i.e outside surface together. I then glued the assembly. The point here is that I was attempting to get both sides identical.

I assembled the anti-pivot plate. working on the firewall lamination.