New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2015, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Joined Jan 2005
314 Posts
Discussion
Cal Valley Spring 2015 - RESULTS

Below are the final results for The Spring 2015 California Valley XC race. Four teams attended this year.

The forecast for Saturday was for light rain until noon with strong North-West winds (20-30mph forecast). Because of the strong wind forecast a 2 hour “POST” task was declared, where the teams can select the turnpoints. The only restriction being a 2 hour minimum flight time. The assumption was teams would choose only downwind turnpoints, the furthest of which was Turnpoint K, 40 miles South of the start/finish line. The weather was looking so bad that Ken, the lodge owner, felt sorry for us and delivered 6 Pizzas for lunch for all the teams. After lunch the rain stopped and some blues skies appeared between the clouds. The winds picked up as predicted. By 1:00pm the teams were on the field launching. Getting off the field was not easy as the wind was almost 90 degrees to the winch line. Unless you were able to hook a strong thermal immediately there was little hope of gaining enough altitude to start on course before your glider got blown too far downwind. Never the less 3 teams made it of the field. Team 273 snapped an elevator linkage and was knocked out the race. The day was won by team 647 (John Ellias and Rick Shelby), flying 48 miles to turnpoint K, 40 miles to the south and going back up wind for another 8 miles. Team 767 (Bill Chase, Mike Leggett, and Barry Danalie) came in second flying the Appersonic glider 13.7 miles. Team 593 (Bill Curry, Steve Henke, and Rich Beardesley) was close behind with 12.1 miles.

Sundays forecast was much better. Partly cloudy with moderate winds starting around noon. The task called for an 18.5 mile triangular course. All the teams launched early hoping to beat the wind. All teams completed the task. Team 767 beat everybody flying the Appersonic, a scratch built glider, designed and built by Bill Chase.

One last item of note: My first flight on Saturday was with my X2xc. I had flown about 12 miles in very windy and marginal conditions when I landed out. As I was landing a strong gust flipped the 11 pound X2xc and broke the nose on the fuse. This put the X2 out of commission for the weekend. Rick and I quickly assembled my trusty old MXC. Despite a late start (we did not get on course until about 3:00pm), the MXC managed to win the day with a 48 mile flight. Rumors about the demise of the MXC have been greatly exaggerated! After flying the heavily loaded X2xc exclusively for the past year I forgot how easy to fly and well behaved the MXC is.

John

Teams –
767 – Bill Chase, Mike Leggett, Barry Danalie
273 – Dean Gradwell, Ron McElliot, Roger Hebner
593 – Bill Curry, Steve Henke, Rich Beardsely
647 – John Ellias, Rick Shelby

Below are the final scores:

Team -------------Score

Saturday
647 --------------- 1000
767 -----------------284
593 -----------------250

Sunday
767 --------------- 1000
647 ----------------- 940
593 -----------------842

Overall
647 ----------------1940
767 ----------------1284
593 ----------------1092
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
280 Posts
Congratulations Guys,

It sounds like you had one very tough day and one fast and fun day.

Mike
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by rwemacs
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jun 2006
69 Posts
Hay John had a great time to bad we had to leave early but it was for the best, I found those sausages in my freezer to bad I had to start eating them before they go bad. (All ten of them)
rwemacs is offline Find More Posts by rwemacs