New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by benbojangles
Fpv adventures
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
Discussion
Servoless Retract triggering

I'm trying to use an Arduino to make my servoless retracts trigger but I can't seem to get it to trigger. Any ideas?

Can the Arduino provide enough 5v power to the servoless retract to make the motor run? Or should the retract be connected a separate 5v ubec?

How might I emulate the 9x 'gear' switch using an arduino? Is it simply on/off? or is it a high pwm/low pwm value? If so, is an Arduino actually capable of producing the exact required pwm values?

I am able to trigger the servoless retract easily with my turnigy 9x 'gear' switch.

Any help or experience is greatly appreciated in advance.

Name: 1.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 92.9 KB
Description:
benbojangles is offline Find More Posts by benbojangles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by HugePanic
German Engineering.......
Auxsburg
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
Arduino is fully capable to produce the needed servo signal. ---> see servo library example

You should definitely power the retracts from an external source.

Usually i use a BEC to power the receiver and flight servos. The BEC from the ESC then can be used to power the gear, if it is strong enought.
HugePanic is offline Find More Posts by HugePanic
Old Jan 11, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by orraman
Scottish Borders
Joined Mar 2006
654 Posts
Greetings Ben,

From your photo and the relative size of the connector I would guess that your retracts are fairly small compared to retracts using a standard servo.
From the web the Arduino can supply about 40mA which would be too little current to directly operate your retracts.
If your retracts are normally supplied with a ready made model it is likely that power to work the retracts and the control is supplied by the receiver.
You could test the retract with a succession of batteries of increasing voltage perhaps up to 4.8V to see if they respond to DC and if so do they stop at extreme positions.
If this is so it is most likely that they could be powered from your receiver supply and controlled by an Arduino.

This link offers information which may help, good luck in your endeavours, even though I can only do Picaxe.

Dave

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=286932.0
orraman is offline Find More Posts by orraman
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,213 Posts
You definitely need to operate the retracts on their own 5V power supply.

You may need to boost the output signal from the micro to 5V levels so the micro in the retracts can see it. That's easily done using this product (I work for Spektrum, and this is a common issue with some types of products).

Because you need to use two power rails, you need to attach the red lead to the retract's power and DISCONNECT IT from the micro's side.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Acetronics
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbojangles View Post
I'm trying to use an Arduino to make my servoless retracts trigger but I can't seem to get it to trigger. Any ideas?

]
Yes ...

could you give a little electrical scheme of what you've done ...

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by pierrotm777
France, Aquitaine, Villenave-d'Ornon
Joined May 2014
114 Posts
Your electric gear run as a normal servo and need a signal pwm

The arduino give 20mA for each pin , so it's not enought !
Just use a 7805 that accept 1A with 5V and accept in enter 25V in enter !
pierrotm777 is offline Find More Posts by pierrotm777
Last edited by pierrotm777; Jan 17, 2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by benbojangles
Fpv adventures
Joined Jun 2013
221 Posts
So I can control a normal servo using arduino + 5v ubec, this works ok using <servo> library
but not control servoless retract using arduino + 5v ubec.

I can write an arduino sketch to turn on & off every 20 seconds an LED on PIN D2,

But, If I connect the servoless retract (signal wire) to PIN D2, I expect that the servoless retract will raise & lower every 20 seconds, but does not.
Note: servoless retract powered with 5v ubec.
benbojangles is offline Find More Posts by benbojangles
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by pierrotm777
France, Aquitaine, Villenave-d'Ornon
Joined May 2014
114 Posts
What is your arduino code ?
pierrotm777 is offline Find More Posts by pierrotm777