New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2014, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by geofftapp
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Discussion
3d printed micro retractable landing gear

I just wanted to show you guys something i have been developing! I am hoping to refine this design to a very usable product and use it to start a small RC airplane parts business, so this is definitely not the last part that i will be designing! i plan on designing some kits to go along with it. I will have to figure out how to make a turnable tail wheel as well. that might take a bit longer to design though! the dimensions of it are 14 mm long by 5.75 mm wide and 5 mm tall. it runs off of a spektrum 2.3 gram long throw servo. the mechanics are fairly simple, and it automatically locks when it is in the down position.

I am also thinking about starting a kickstarter campaign to fund these projects and buy some tools so that i can build the parts in house instead of going to a third party like shapeways. i wont start one unless theres plenty of interest in something like this, so let me know what you guys think! here it is!
geofftapp is offline Find More Posts by geofftapp
Last edited by geofftapp; Oct 03, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2014, 06:45 PM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Video

heres the video! i will try to get some better pictures later, they are kinda shaky.

3d printed micro landing gear (0 min 23 sec)
Old Oct 02, 2014, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
760 Posts
That looks sweet! If you ever start producing it, I will definitely buy one!
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by d wulff
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2013
93 Posts
I think you should go back and edit the title of the thread to include "retractable ". That makes all the difference in the world instead of just plain landing gear. Good luck, looks neat.
d wulff is offline Find More Posts by d wulff
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:09 AM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
That would definitely be a good idea! someone might have to help me figure out how to do that though...
Old Oct 03, 2014, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftapp View Post
That would definitely be a good idea! someone might have to help me figure out how to do that though...
if you edit the first post you made, you can change the thread title in the advanced editing.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Thanks! There we go!
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
6,412 Posts
Looks very nice. I doubt you would be able to secure funding via Kickstarter though as the market for these is very small.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
Looks very nice. I doubt you would be able to secure funding via Kickstarter though as the market for these is very small.
That's true, and that's why I wanted to show it Here first, to see if there would be enough interest. I might have to take some time just saving up so I can get some tools to make them here. Shapeways is great, problem is the shipping bumps the cost up. Each time I make a few parts for a pair of these landing gear I pay around eight USD on the parts and another five on shipping, which isn't too bad, but it's always good to make things as low cost as possible!
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by failboat
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,747 Posts
I say good job, but you need to realize that the GWS pico retracts are still available.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,922 Posts
Interesting and clever design.
Wondering about size and weight . Those don't seem overly Micro, at least sans measure reference.
Also the reality of using Retracts on a small model?
I remember having serious issues with Robart Retracts on 1/2A (td) powered models back in '76. When landing on less than V smooth asphalt the gear had an annoying habit of ripping out of their mountings.
Yess..Fast heavy models but the Tiny wheels bit hard into the landing surface.
Possibly yours could be good for indoor if Small/light enough .. Can you half size those ?
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
6,412 Posts
I offered laser cut micro retracts some time ago and didn't sell a single pair. Retracts for indoor models is a bit of a novelty and they just add unnecessary weight IMHO.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Oct 03, 2014, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,299 Posts
A couple of years ago now...... hoping to resurrect the project with some help from fellow rcgroupers.
Shapeways 3D printed Micro Retract Demo (11 min 47 sec)
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Oct 04, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Size and weight are definitely a challenge with micro models, so yes using retracts is definitely not easy. I could try to half the size of them, but that is tough with 3d printers at this point, I think these might be the limit of size, I'm definitely going to look into it. I actually don't know the weight of these yet, I have been looking for my scale for awhile now. A lot of my gear and tools have gone missing since I have been in Brazil for the past few years and I couldn't take it with me (talk about flying withdrawels...) I will try to find my scale and post the Weight when I do. Also, I'm going to design a plane and try to make it as light as possible to see if using these would be feesable with using unconventional and usually more expensive building methods. Should be a fun project!! Thanks for all the input!

Edit:

Found the scale, and right when I needed it! I weighed just the gear assembly and was surprised to find that it is actually sub gram because it didn't even register on my scale! I added the servo, connecting rod and wheel and that gave me a result, it all came to three grams. I should probably add that these are not intended for the really small stuff, but more of the size that uses the parkzone/e-flite receiver brick. I'd love to hear more input on these! Let me know what you think.
Last edited by geofftapp; Oct 04, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by WoodyInMD
United States, MD, California
Joined Jan 2014
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
A couple of years ago now...... hoping to resurrect the project with some help from fellow rcgroupers.
Count me in for a few pairs of those, and some of the button retracts, if you start production. Anything you're needing to get the project (re) kickstarted?

Woody
WoodyInMD is online now Find More Posts by WoodyInMD