Old Nov 05, 2014, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,983 Posts
Discussion
Rengel SW10 epoxy gel coat viscosity.

I am have difficulty with the decision wether to use this epoxy gel coat or do what I have done previously and mix up some laminating epoxy and cotton flocks, colloidal silica and graphite. First described by Adam of WWWorks.

The main ambivalence I have to ordering and using the proper gel coat (SW10) is that the viscosity is not specified. It is only listed as "thixotropic"
It has been described as a paste by one of my composite buddies during a phone call about it. This worries me a bit, as I am daunted by the prospect of spreading a paste like consistency resin on a carefully polished and waxed plug.

I'm really just looking for some old fashioned reassurance here.

Can someone give me an indication of what to expect? Is it similar in consistency/viscosity to 50 min 2 part epoxy? For example, the HobbyKing generic variety?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:15 AM
Find More Posts by gideon
Meek A Mouse
Deutschland, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
It has a consistency like butter cream. Iīve tried it and liked it, but that was some 15 years ago. It can be applied quite nicely by brush. The main drawback of SW10 is, that it is quite soft compared to other tooling resins, and itīs white. Nowadays I would use completely different products.

Since Iīm living in Europe I donīt know what you can get a hold of at your place.

Cheers,
Stefan
gideon is offline Find More Posts by gideon
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,983 Posts
Thanks Stefan.
We have limited options here. Also, I want a product that can be polished if necessary. So I have gone ahead and ordered some.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson