Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:24 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Right own, Sean, well said!!! There are some out there that have never been exposed to firearms and are scared of their own ability, physically or mentally, to handle or even be around them.

These are the people that support those 2nd amendment crushing bastards that are also chipping away at other areas of OUR constitution. American hunters/arms owners, together, form the largest army on the planet and I'm proud to be one of them.

I've been involved with firearms since I was 12 years old and have schooled many kiddos showing them proper handling with saftey being number 1. ALL of my friends and family know the business end of a weapon and have ultimate respect for it. I can field strip my 1911 in 10 seconds and have it cleaned and reassembled in 45.

I too bust my puss 60 hours a week in a high stress industry and I have a cocktail or two EVERY evening before dinner and I don't care who knows it or what they think about it....damn sure don't mix it with guns.

Don't drink and shoot.....duh....why didn't I think of that .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Feb 03, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Lastly....

How good are wooden gliders???

- boingk
Some of them are very good. A lot of people associate woodie sailplanes with older designs and automatically dismiss them. There are some "modern" woodie designs out there that will fly as well as anything in their class. The Fineworx Miles, the DJ Aerotech Chrysalis, the Isthmus Models Duet, the MM Glidertech Oculus all come to mind. The Bird series of sailplanes over at Skybench are a modern twist on a classic design and the Oly III can hang in there with the best of them. Jack Womack has designed a few great woodies with his Houston Hawk and Yardbird sailplanes. Dr. Drela's Bubble Dancer and Allegro wings would also make a great start to a woodie build.

Modern woodies are out there, you just need to look for them and each of these planes would get respect on any flight line.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:32 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,296 Posts
Woodies look so much better from below than crunchies.

I prefer Barques, myself, and I LOVE fresh squashed wine grapes. Barley goes in my stew, and wheat and oats in my cookies.

Now, I won't go into details, but I'm really hatin' on these antibiotics right now. Even the double daily dose of yogurt isn't helping any more.

Time to get gluing! I have two birds to fix, and some practicing to do tomorrow, and a looooong 3 hour drive to Visalia Friday. This is gonna be good! I'll get to see dad Friday and maybe Sunday, too. He has foxes on one property. Squee! (and no chickens to worry about)

Raccoons? Hate 'em. Oh, they cute and cuddly looking little b******s, and it's fun how they wash their food, but those masked varmints like to go swimming in my pond full of valuable aquatic plants, and they kill the plants. They also dug up my artificial bog, wrecking a hundred dollars worth of Venus Flytraps, pitcher plants and sundews. There is nothing I can do about them, either. The city protects them, and I can't harm a freaking flea on their pretty little .... tails.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Right own, Sean, well said!!! There are some out there that have never been exposed to firearms and are scared of their own ability, physically or mentally, to handle or even be around them.

These are the people that support those 2nd amendment crushing bastards that are also chipping away at other areas of OUR constitution. American hunters/arms owners, together, form the largest army on the planet and I'm proud to be one of them.

I've been involved with firearms since I was 12 years old and have schooled many kiddos showing them proper handling with saftey being number 1. ALL of my friends and family know the business end of a weapon and have ultimate respect for it. I can field strip my 1911 in 10 seconds and have it cleaned and reassembled in 45.

I too bust my puss 60 hours a week in a high stress industry and I have a cocktail or two EVERY evening before dinner and I don't care who knows it or what they think about it....damn sure don't mix it with guns.

Don't drink and shoot.....duh....why didn't I think of that .
I agree on politics 100% with you Don. I'll leave it at that.

Teaching firearm safety is job 1 here. Photo below of my grand daughter at five years old. She could rattle off the 4 rules at 3. She's watched constantly at the farm and myself, her dad or mom are never more than three feet away from her. Her constant awareness of muzzle direction would make a Gunnery sergeant smile with approval.

Back on the carbon fiber issue. I said the canopy thing in jest towards Darth. I do use it occasionally on woodie projects and probably will more so in the future. I tend to loaf up the winch lines so I just leave it off trying to make myself feel all warm and fuzzy over saving .00002 ounces of weight. Also, since I very seldom fly contests I tend to not push coming down from altitude at red line except for that once incident 3 years ago and that was a bladder related emergency.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Love it!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:02 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,296 Posts
Cute as a sharpshootin' button. How's her aim?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Come to the dark side... You don't know the power of the carbon fiber... I must have carbon...

Darth Epoxy Breath...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:59 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
I have to hand it to you , Jack, even though you've been taken by the dark side, you're still a purist snob and I like that .
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:16 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Cute as a sharpshootin' button. How's her aim?
Not bad at all actually. Her problem is trigger pull. We thought about getting a trigger job done on her rifle but figured we don't need anything a 1/4 lb. trigger.

The important thing is that we never let her shoot after her third wine cooler of the morning...........................

THAT was a joke before anyone reports me to Child Protection Services and the ATF.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:04 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,296 Posts
Twenty cookie points to anyone who guesses what this is going to be:

Here's our little woodie assistant in making. I caught her climbing a bare wing like a ladder today! No, I didn't wait and take a picture of that.

Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:30 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
I can't stand it any longer, I need to just let everyone here know that you seem to be having waaaay too much fun here and I want in? (whatever that means!). I've been lurking, yes, I've been known to do that every now and then, and thought it's about time to chime in with nothing much to say other than this is one of the most enjoyable threads to read! Oh yes, there's not too many "bad" times to have a glass of wine in my book (note where I live?). I'll try to contribute here and there, where appropriate, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled great thread

Thanks,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:32 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
First photo: Either Sasquatch's contact lens or the world's first transparent oyster shell.

OK, I give. Maybe an inspection window for something on the boat or a canopy of some kind?

Second photo: HCIC (head cat in charge) of Katie's workshop. Everyone needs a cat or dog to supervise, patrol or otherwise oversee all aspects of the average household. I myself am outranked by our Veloci-Schnauzer. Eighteen pounds of German efficiency and Teutonic discipline. All house renovations, new purchases up to and including potted plants and of course all grocery store purchase must be approved, usually through scent, by the Master race of K-9 superiority. Every time I walk into the house after work I get a complete interrogation by nose. If I've been around another animal, be it a horse, goat, snake, deer or anything with a signature smell, I get a complete strip search, analysis and approval/disapproval by Der Fuhrer of Dogville. "Ve haff vays ov makink you talk!". I always feel guilty about something when I come home. Who knew that petting an errant Coyote would put me on the dog's list?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:34 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
See? That ^^^ is what I'm talking about! Too funny. Maybe it's because I have a black lab who does the exact same thing?

Rob
Who appreciates a good sense of humor.
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:41 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,296 Posts
Rob, we're just getting warmed up for the evening.

Any guesses, BTW?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:47 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
I can't stand it any longer, I need to just let everyone here know that you seem to be having waaaay too much fun here and I want in? (whatever that means!). I've been lurking, yes, I've been known to do that every now and then, and thought it's about time to chime in with nothing much to say other than this is one of the most enjoyable threads to read! Oh yes, there's not too many "bad" times to have a glass of wine in my book (note where I live?). I'll try to contribute here and there, where appropriate, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled great thread

Thanks,

Rob
Welcome Rob! We love new members. However, since you live in Napa you'll be required to send us all samples of the awesome vino of that area. Six cases per member should do it. :D

Feel free to join us. We love woodie gliders, try (sometimes fail) to not take things too seriously and occasionally get some building done. Sort of a drinking club with an RC problem.

OK, just kidding on the last sentence............sort of.

We really do sometimes get useful info out and I'm confident that if you need answers one of us has them. Or, on the other hand if you want to add BS we love that too.