HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:18 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippypilot View Post
I have a new iCharger 106B+ and new 3s 1.3 nano-tech batteries. I have the Termination voltage set to 4.20. But on a balance charge (1.0A) the cell readings are reaching 4.28V and the voltages stay higher than 4.20V after charging is complete.

Have I got something set wrong? The iCharger readings match those of my multimeter.
How are you measuring the straying over 4.2 after the charge and for how long?

In generagl the conditions you posted have been covered numerious times but entirely normal.

During a balanced charger of most all LiPoys there is in fact a voltage drop in the main charge leads. In order to in fact have say 12.6V at the 3S LiPoly's leads the volrage from the charger must be greater than 12.6 ,in addation as soon as the charge terminates there will be a slight voltage drop and if the 3S is not at or extremely close to 12.6 many will get upset that their charger is not fully charging their LiPolys. Other side of coin is OMG my charger is overcharging my LiPolys.

Use the Monitor / cells voltage screen to see cell voltages not the pack voltage one. Many chargers in fact push the cell voltage up to the point that a 3S will be at 12.7xx at the power leads for a few minutes during the CV stage of charge.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
439 Posts
Would like to see a similar charger like Cellpro 10X from Junsi and a rotary dial
rizky_p is offline Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
How are you measuring the straying over 4.2 after the charge and for how long?

In generagl the conditions you posted have been covered numerious times but entirely normal.

During a balanced charger of most all LiPoys there is in fact a voltage drop in the main charge leads. In order to in fact have say 12.6V at the 3S LiPoly's leads the volrage from the charger must be greater than 12.6 ,in addation as soon as the charge terminates there will be a slight voltage drop and if the 3S is not at or extremely close to 12.6 many will get upset that their charger is not fully charging their LiPolys. Other side of coin is OMG my charger is overcharging my LiPolys.

Use the Monitor / cells voltage screen to see cell voltages not the pack voltage one. Many chargers in fact push the cell voltage up to the point that a 3S will be at 12.7xx at the power leads for a few minutes during the CV stage of charge.

Charles
Thanks for the reply. I had seen the posts about the difference between the charging voltage and post charge readings. I was seeing the high individual cell levels after charging using the monitor function as well as a multimeter.

Can this problem be caused by powering the charger from a converted PC power supply?
chippypilot is offline Find More Posts by chippypilot
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippypilot View Post
Can this problem be caused by powering the charger from a converted PC power supply?
Yes, there are several reports about overcharging when running the charger on a PC PSU.

An example

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:32 AM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
We are sorry to cause you this trouble, we have replied you via Email for more details, please check it.

Junsi
I have read in some italian forum that input voltage from 4s LIPO can burn the 106b+... but this is incredible because input is under 18v.
This is confirmed from many people that has see burn the 106b+ after connect input with a 4s.
Junsi must change the internal components or write on instruction that the 16b+ can't put on with a 4s input.
magrinsi is online now Find More Posts by magrinsi
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,874 Posts
How many folk have actually had this problem, I wonder? I have just started using a 4s LiPo to power my 3 year old 106B+ at our indoor flying meetings. No problems so far, but these reports are making me nervous!
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
How many folk have actually had this problem, I wonder? I have just started using a 4s LiPo to power my 3 year old 106B+ at our indoor flying meetings. No problems so far, but these reports are making me nervous!
I'm to 2 106b+ and this boy 3 106b+...

http://www.baronerosso.it/forum/3433474-post20.html
magrinsi is online now Find More Posts by magrinsi
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Problems with My 3010b

Hi !

With some unfortune I kind of blew my 3010. Or that is what I thought at first.
It kind of got grounded on the input with a voltage about 100v over its positive output.

After that the charger would not start when powered on. It would only flicker the display a little.

I pulled it apart to see If I could spot anything. I could see that the fan barely moved when turned on. So I unplugged the fan. And with the fan unplugged it starts and seem to behave correct. If I plug in the fan after it has started, the small toroid on the powersection gets really hot.

I suspect the fan control part is toast.

Any suggestions ?

Fixing the fan control parts would not be to hard right.
I would like to try to fix it my self instead of sending it off to China.

Regards
/Per
pm_dawn is offline Find More Posts by pm_dawn
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_dawn View Post
Hi !

With some unfortune I kind of blew my 3010. Or that is what I thought at first.
It kind of got grounded on the input with a voltage about 100v over its positive output.

After that the charger would not start when powered on. It would only flicker the display a little.

I pulled it apart to see If I could spot anything. I could see that the fan barely moved when turned on. So I unplugged the fan. And with the fan unplugged it starts and seem to behave correct. If I plug in the fan after it has started, the small toroid on the powersection gets really hot.

I suspect the fan control part is toast.

Any suggestions ?

Fixing the fan control parts would not be to hard right.
I would like to try to fix it my self instead of sending it off to China.

Regards
/Per
Grab a voltage regulator that will take the input voltage of the power supply you use to power the charger and convert it to the fan voltage. It will run all the time but it will get you back up and running if nothing else has gone bad. You may need a heat sink for the regulator but for a few dollars you could be back up and running.

Or you could go fancy and build this http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/37...control-how-to
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Last edited by BGR; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Yes, there are several reports about overcharging when running the charger on a PC PSU.

An example

Fred
So what does Junsi tell about this issue?
Is there any other solution then buying better PSU?
aSa2 is offline Find More Posts by aSa2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSa2 View Post
So what does Junsi tell about this issue?
Is there any other solution then buying better PSU?
I don't think Junsi ever commented on this issue. These PSU's are not designed for quickly changing loads, but I really don't understand how they can make the charger forget about cell voltage limits and continue charging past max voltage. Server PSUs seems to be a better choice for cheap power.

Fred
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
Michigan
Joined Jan 2011
37 Posts
If you do need a better PSU:

I recently did a build thread on converting a server power supply...
I had a few personal goals to hit; one of which was to not have to solder anything and the other was to keep it under $20USD.
Here are my results:

12v/41a/564w supply converted and ready to use for $15USD
24v/41a/1128w supply converted and ready to use for $20USD

The supply used was a DELL PowerEdge 2650 Power Supply DPS-500CB J1540

Here is the thread:
http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ply-Conversion
I did end up completing the build by soldering... but it can be done without!
Jimmie Neutron is offline Find More Posts by Jimmie Neutron
Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: I recollected the specs on the supply incorrectly. They are 41 amp units, not 47.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined May 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
... but I really don't understand how they can make the charger forget about cell voltage limits and continue charging past max voltage...
If i understand correctly the charger shows the voltage of cells over the set limit. That shows that the charger measure voltage correctly, just "forgets" to stop.

Junsi, maybe some sort of firmware update would solve that?
aSa2 is offline Find More Posts by aSa2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:

An example

Fred
Just look at the input voltage in the guys graph. I've heard reports of this on other brand chargers as well. The issue also seems to be common if charging off a car battery with the car running. The rapidly fluctuating input is the problem. Get yourself a more stable power supply with good regulation and you won't have problems.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Just look at the input voltage in the guys graph. I've heard reports of this on other brand chargers as well. The issue also seems to be common if charging off a car battery with the car running. The rapidly fluctuating input is the problem. Get yourself a more stable power supply with good regulation and you won't have problems.
I know, but the charger measures cell voltages correct and also the crazy input voltage (correct or not), so it should perhaps take action and terminate charge in these cases in stead of overcharging cells.

Fred