HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:32 AM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
advice needed on how to store new cars

Hello guys.
I have a couple of expensive rcs that are still new in their boxes from the early 90s. The boxes arent wrapped or sealed but the contents inside are wrapped in cellophanes etc. Do i need to know anything for storing the boxes in order not to have the content damaged or change their color(etc. Would age or air or etc ruin the wheels or change the color of the bodies) or anything? I just have them in a closet away from sources of heat etc. Should i use a cellophane or something to wrap the boxes too? Anything else? Can you literally store rcs in theIr boxes forever? Like having a collection Thanks
gt4baby is offline Find More Posts by gt4baby
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:27 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,636 Posts
If the contents are already wrapped/sealed, wrapping the boxes won't add any extra protection. Just keep away from excessive heat, moisture, or big temp differences, and it should last a long time. Usually tires are the first to degrade, and plastics can become brittle over time, as the chemicals that help it keep it's flex, are slowly released. Then again, some people are still racing their vintage cars, and wouldn't be able to do so if all plastics had become brittle as glass.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2014
397 Posts
gt4.. hi.. you can get vacuum bags that seal airtight with vacuum suction..at bed bath beyound..

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...FVJo7Aod4nQA3Q

I have about 400 of these in my outbuilding with RC inside..
ElectricMann is offline Find More Posts by ElectricMann
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,636 Posts
If you put the boxes in vacuum bags, won't these get crushed by the air pressure, like you see demonstrated when they put a pillow or a pile of clothes in such a vacuum bag? I doubt the boxes will withstand that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2014
397 Posts
I'm sure you would just vacuum it to no end.. some common sense is required dont take this directly..there is also a instructional video for those that can not understand the written word and need that special help..and just get a few TEST boxes and see how ur vacuum works.id say something else but people have funny isssues with words.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:45 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMann View Post
I'm sure you would just vacuum it to no end.. some common sense is required dont take this directly..there is also a instructional video for those that can not understand the written word and need that special help..and just get a few TEST boxes and see how ur vacuum works.id say something else but people have funny isssues with words.

Believe what you want, I can't stop you, but if I mention there might be a risk of the air pressure crushing the contents of the bag, you honestly think I would really just keep on vacuuming it endlessly until the box started to collaps? Surely you can grasp that I was just hinting at the risk there is if a too strong vacuum is created inside the bag. No need to make belittling comments.

If you would have added the advice, not to overdo it with the vacuuming, to your previous post, you would have made it clear to begin with, not for me, I didn't ask advice on this, but for the topic starter. I would hate to see the look on the topics tarter's face when he starts on vacuuming the first box, and sees his MIB box with contents getting crushed.

It's common sense not to assume everyone has common sense, as we live in a time where many people only start looking at the manual after something has been broken. I like to know how something works, so I look at the manual before I turn a device on, check mechanics of a setup, etc. but I think it's best to keep in mind not everyone does, and don't assume that others use the same precautions, like testing things first. Keep in mind not everyone has the same experience, so it might be wise to add a little extra info just to make sure the advice is taken as it was intended.

Especially when someone has a high level of experience, it's a common mistake when explaining things, to make a few shortcuts, and leave out bits of info or steps in the process here and there, that the person explaining the things, sees as self-explanatory. And in those cases, it's best to also mention the extra info, just in case the person you are talking with isn't aware of those steps or info you deemed self explanatory. Try to look at it from the other's perspective, will he or she understand with the explanation I give, or will only I fully understand it?

And just a general remark, another keyword when giving advice, or just dealing with others, respect the other as person. No matter how high you think you may stand on the "RC-ladder", and like to look down upon those "lower people", always remember where you came from, as no-one started from the top.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Aug 25, 2014 at 04:57 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:16 AM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Thanks both for your advices ill take into consideration all the tips and i hope they last long i dont plan opening them anytime soon )
gt4baby is offline Find More Posts by gt4baby
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:28 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,636 Posts
Just curious, what cars are we talking about? I love vintage stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2014
397 Posts
you can always use these if you think it would help.