HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2014, 06:31 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,565 Posts
Discussion
Super Fr3ak dbox - thoughts?

Long time flyer, but only second time DLGer. I tend to like quality, but I started out with the hobby king 1.5 composite DLG just to see if this is something I'd like to get in to. Well I'm hooked, even with the sloppy servos and less-than-sturdy construction.
So I'm looking to move up. There seem to be a lot of contenders in the $600-800 range but this one has caught my eye. Is there anyone out there flying one? How do you like it? They are a pre-order item so I'm looking to order soon.
Second consideration was the blaster 3 spread tow, but there's only one US distributor and I'd prefer to not deal with them. It does seem like a more popular glider though and I'd consider ordering direct from APAC if it's a hard one to beat for the price.
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Last edited by Bodywerks; May 22, 2014 at 06:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2014, 06:33 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,088 Posts
I think I can sum it up like this:

Great plane... Even better vendor. Tom is a great guy.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; May 23, 2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old May 22, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined May 2004
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I think I can sum it up like this:

Great plane... Even better vendor.
He comes highly recommended by a few locals here in Tucson. I did send him an email asking about lead time that he has yet to respond to, but I believe he was highly involved in the Colorado dlg event last weekend and might be a little overwhelmed. Planning to call tomorrow though.
Old May 22, 2014, 07:23 PM
sticks2sticks
United States, CA, Yreka
Joined Oct 2011
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Long time flyer, but only second time DLGer. I tend to like quality, but I started out with the hobby king 1.5 composite DLG just to see if this is something I'd like to get in to. Well I'm hooked, even with the sloppy servos and less-than-sturdy construction.
So I'm looking to move up. There seem to be a lot of contenders in the $600-800 range but this one has caught my eye. Is there anyone out there flying one? How do you like it? They are a pre-order item so I'm looking to order soon.
Second consideration was the blaster 3 spread tow, but there's only one US distributor and I'd prefer to not deal with them. It does seem like a more popular glider though and I'd consider ordering direct from APAC if it's a hard one to beat for the price.
Got on the waiting list a few weeks ago. A paltry 6 months or so wait. I have other planes and can afford to be patient.
mgallian is online now Find More Posts by mgallian
Old May 22, 2014, 07:32 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,905 Posts
Look at the latest offering from armsoar (Lee). I saw it flying at Seattle, and a very nice bird.

Talk to James Hohensie (sp), who is US distributor, wait time should be less.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old May 22, 2014, 08:03 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,590 Posts
Yeah.. Tom builds a great DLG but he's just one guy, and he's been VERY busy. I wanted an NXT but it'll take awhile.

James Hohense is the US distributor for Armsoar. I ordered an Aerial from him recently, that should be here in August. Pretty much with any of the newest tech DLGs you're looking at a 2+ month wait.

Bob at Soaring USA has a few mid-range DLGs in stock if I remember correctly that should do exactly what you're after, with no waiting.

There is also Flitecomp who brings in Seba's (Storm Composites) airplanes like the Neo and the new Zen. I think he has a few Neo in stock right now ranging in price for $410 - $575 depending upon construction.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old May 22, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined May 2004
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
Yeah.. Tom builds a great DLG but he's just one guy, and he's been VERY busy. I wanted an NXT but it'll take awhile.

James Hohense is the US distributor for Armsoar. I ordered an Aerial from him recently, that should be here in August. Pretty much with any of the newest tech DLGs you're looking at a 2+ month wait.

Bob at Soaring USA has a few mid-range DLGs in stock if I remember correctly that should do exactly what you're after, with no waiting.

There is also Flitecomp who brings in Seba's (Storm Composites) airplanes like the Neo and the new Zen. I think he has a few Neo in stock right now ranging in price for $410 - $575 depending upon construction.
Well crap. I was thinking a month or two. Guess I'll have to make it a third glider then, and maybe look into the full carbon version instead.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:52 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,905 Posts
How about a Snipe for 960, probably only several weeks delay.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old May 22, 2014, 11:16 PM
Joined May 2004
1,565 Posts
Nah, got my reasons for avoiding that one. And for that price I might as well go all out on a stobel v3, since I can get one for 10% off right now at soaring usa through memorial day.
Hmmm...I Wasn't looking to spend that much money or quite this soon, but that's a hard deal to pass up.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:43 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
How about a Snipe for 960, probably only several weeks delay.

Gary
Heh.. yep. I'm waiting on mine.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old May 23, 2014, 04:17 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,088 Posts
Good luck. Depending on the time of year, all planes become hard to come by.

But the old addage is true:

good things come to those who wait...

there is a reason why you have to wait for most planes. Many are cottage industry build in basements and garages and the good ones are in high demand.

I am sure it will be worth the wait. Tom puts his heart and soul into the planes he builds and it shows.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old May 23, 2014, 08:19 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,387 Posts
I guess such a limited production translates to not many posts from guys who have flown the superfr3k or NXT?
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old May 23, 2014, 08:21 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,387 Posts
Body, if you had problems with KC get that resolved. Sent my b2 nosecone in days.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old May 23, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined May 2004
1,565 Posts
My other hobby is target and long range shooting. Custom Rifles can take a year. I'm no stranger to waiting. I think I'll go ahead and exercise patience and go for the fr3ak. The stobel is a good deal but I wasn't looking to spend a g this weekend.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:46 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,799 Posts
You may want to look at the Validol. I believe Oleg has some in stock ready for shipping.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen