SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2014, 05:56 AM
Australia, QLD, Innisfail
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
Discussion
Powering Arduino nano on 5.5v ?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25086 arduino nano and would like to use it with openxvario but the ESC I would like to use is 5.5v regulated output (45a YEP from HK). Can the nano run 5.5v on the input? And will it output 5v at the I/O pins or am I better off finding a different esc?
Archades is offline Find More Posts by Archades
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:24 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,403 Posts
why not use the genuine 5v power option , feeding the board through a 1N400x diode ???

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:42 AM
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
So BEC 5.5v > 1n400x diode > 5v input? Will this allow the arduino to regulate output to exactly 5v or will it be whatever the diodes voltage is?
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Jul 2013
22 Posts
lm7805 is what ur looking for. you don't even need to hook it up to the ESC/BEC. even the weakest variety can be powered with voltages up to 18V
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/LM/LM7805.pdf
and it's dirt cheap too
patryk is offline Find More Posts by patryk
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:56 AM
Joined Jul 2013
22 Posts
correction: you don't need anything there.
from the specs: Input Voltage (limits): 6-20V
hook it up directly to the battery. (5.5 < 6....)
the board has integrated power supply circuit for the uC
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:56 AM
Joined Apr 2013
302 Posts
I see the arduino has 7v-20v for the onboard regulator, is the better option just running 2 wires to battery (3s, 11.1v) and just using that option?

I was also wondering what would happen to the arduino if I bog the heli hard in hard 3d and the main battery had a voltage drop, would the regulator still handle it fine and still output 5v? I'd guess it would but wasn't sure if the ESC's BEC had caps or something to smooth over any power losses and if the arduino would work the same or not.
Old Jan 04, 2014, 07:03 AM
Joined Jul 2013
22 Posts
if the input voltage drops under minimum that regulator can work with, it will simply reboot.
to be on the safe side i'd do it like that: battery >> diode >> capacitor >> arduino.
this way you have at least a few seconds of "buffer" power in the cap
Old Jan 04, 2014, 08:58 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archades View Post
I see the arduino has 7v-20v for the onboard regulator, is the better option just running 2 wires to battery (3s, 11.1v) and just using that option?

I was also wondering what would happen to the arduino if I bog the heli hard in hard 3d and the main battery had a voltage drop, would the regulator still handle it fine and still output 5v? I'd guess it would but wasn't sure if the ESC's BEC had caps or something to smooth over any power losses and if the arduino would work the same or not.
From my point of view; it's the best option if you need a stable ( not so exact ! ) 5v supply.

now a suddent current draw from your motor won't disturb the onboard regulator so much ...

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics