HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:00 AM
Gil
USA, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Jul 2010
80 Posts
Question
SSX Single Aileron Servo?

First off, the SSX is on my "must have" list and I think it's a great airplane. Very well engineered and robust. If I'm not mistaken, the earlier wing was designed to use a single aileron servo similar to the current "Mini SSX." I'm assuming the new wing uses two servos to simplify wing mounting with rubber bands or possibly to help with torque affects on the control surfaces. Did I get that right?

I prefer to use a single (beefier) servo for that purpose just for simplification and weight factors. My thought is to "mod" the current wing to allow for a single servo mounted under the wing and use a wing riser as needed. I think that the integrity of the center section could be maintained if the mod was done carefully with stiffeners mounted fore and aft of the servo. Does anyone have any opinions on this idea or should I simply go with the flow?

Again, great airplane .... I can't seem to resist customizing my planes though.

Thanks for any help,

Gil
gb1100 is offline Find More Posts by gb1100
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:46 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1100 View Post
First off, the SSX is on my "must have" list and I think it's a great airplane. Very well engineered and robust. If I'm not mistaken, the earlier wing was designed to use a single aileron servo similar to the current "Mini SSX." I'm assuming the new wing uses two servos to simplify wing mounting with rubber bands or possibly to help with torque affects on the control surfaces. Did I get that right?

Yes, Torque was the biggest reason. I stripped a few servos and decided two would be better. Plus you can use Flaps as well.

I prefer to use a single (beefier) servo for that purpose just for simplification and weight factors. My thought is to "mod" the current wing to allow for a single servo mounted under the wing and use a wing riser as needed. I think that the integrity of the center section could be maintained if the mod was done carefully with stiffeners mounted fore and aft of the servo. Does anyone have any opinions on this idea or should I simply go with the flow?

Again, great airplane .... I can't seem to resist customizing my planes though.

Thanks for any help,

Gil

Unless you go with a supper high torque servo, you are better off with two.
As it is, I prefer to use two HS65s on the ailerons. However, I see no reason your idea would not work. Let me know when you order and I will include the original single servo plate in your kit. It can be adapted to the bottom of the wing.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:00 PM
Gil
USA, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Jul 2010
80 Posts
Jim, thanks for the quick reply! I have one HS 65 all ready for the ailerons but I'll just order a 2nd since you think it needs it. No mod necessary now. The full kit is on my Christmas list so I've got time. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks again,

Gil
gb1100 is offline Find More Posts by gb1100