SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Help!
Used Stinson or new T-38 Trojan?

I'm a newbie who's spent a little bit of time flying heli's and been spending alot of time on the simulator. I have an opportunity to get my hands on a Stinson in good shape for $100, but at the same time I've been told the T-38 Trojan is a good beginner plane. I'd prefer to stick with a 4 channel. Any suggestions?

Greg
hyp05fxdl is offline Find More Posts by hyp05fxdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,855 Posts
What kind of helis, how much time on the sim? I would opt for the Trojan, but I would also get a highwing trainer before I attempted the T-28. Problem is, warbirds can be twitchy and yes, the Trojan is a trainer aircraft, but it's still a warbird and will have to be flown like one. The Stinson is a nice plane too and I fly with people that fly one. However, landing it is difficult and I have seen seasoned warbird pilots botch landings on the Stinson. Spend the 90 bucks and get a Hobbyzone Champ, fly that for a while and then try which ever plane you decide to get.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:47 AM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
168 Posts
T-28 Trojan is much easier to fly than the Stinson. Trust me and others who say the same thing. I had a Stinson and she didnt last long for me. I crashed her twice due to getting too slow on final approach. The T-28 was a huge confidence builder in flying a 4 channel airplane. I have had her for 1.5 yrs now and logged 121 crash free flights.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:25 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,136 Posts
Actually neither plane is suitable for you to learn on. The T-28 is a nice, predictable 4-channel plane with a tiny bit of roll stability that makes it a joy to fly for an experienced pilot. However it is fast and leaves the beginner too much to think about. You don't learn by crashing. You learn by successfully flying between crashes. The less you crash, the more learning you will do.

You would be MUCH better served by a three channel plane right now. The best of the 4-channel plane, the Eflite Apprentice, is plastered all over with warnings that it isn't suitable for an unassisted newbie. It says that an assisted newbie, accompanied by an experienced flyer and a buddy box is strongly advised. Why? Because they are right and the plane is not suitable for an unassisted newbie, even an RC helicopter pilot.

I'd recommend buying a newcomer to the 3 channel unassisted newbie trainer club, the Ares Gamma 370. I'd buy the Pro model with aileron wing and brushless motor, purchase a 3-channel wing, attach it and fly it as 3-channel until you are very comfortable with the plane. Then remove the 3-channel wing, attach the aileron wing (remember to plug in the servo.....) and you are ready to go 4-channel!

This will definitely have you 100% ready to fly the Trojan on your own without coaching. And it will do it cheaper than just about any other plane with true hobby quality much better than the supposedly cheaper Hobby King, Nitroplanes or Bananahobby alternatives, which are no real alternative, as they all come with severe gotchas.

If you're just gonna go for it buy the Trojan. Take video and post the crash. It will probably be repairable, you can buy the Gamma and do it right after you learn the hard way.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
What kind of helis, how much time on the sim? I would opt for the Trojan, but I would also get a highwing trainer before I attempted the T-28. Problem is, warbirds can be twitchy and yes, the Trojan is a trainer aircraft, but it's still a warbird and will have to be flown like one. The Stinson is a nice plane too and I fly with people that fly one. However, landing it is difficult and I have seen seasoned warbird pilots botch landings on the Stinson. Spend the 90 bucks and get a Hobbyzone Champ, fly that for a while and then try which ever plane you decide to get.
+10 Chuck

Greg, I have both and neither would be any good for you right now. And yes, the Stinson is harder to fly than the T-28....and even though the T-28 is a trainer, it's a Warbird and has no self-righting tendencies. It goes where you point it. At least with the HZ Champ or Super Cub, if you get in trouble, just let go of the sticks and the thing pretty much rights itself. Do that with either the T-28 or SR-10 and you'll be littering... I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's what you have to hear. You'll eventually work your way up to the 4 channel models, but for now keep it simple.
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,349 Posts
When I started out last year I went with the Champ for a couple of months then thought this champ is easy I am going get the T-28. Bad move yes I had some good flights but mostly bad ones I kept the LHS in business just from my spare parts purchases alone. The T-28 is tame but not straight off the bat. In hindsight if the Ares Gamma was available last year or I knew about it I would gone with that and saved myself a lot of grief and money.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Last edited by Great_Goose; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,855 Posts
Goose, you are spot on. The Ares Gamma 370 in 3 channel is a really great plane to start off with, paticularly if you are on a budget. I believe, with the addition of the Gamma 370 Pro, Hobby Town / Ares, has viable competition to the HZ Champ and Super Cub. It may not affect the HZ Firebird Stratos, but it will definately eat into the sales of the other two.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:15 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
6 in one half a dozen in the other
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,855 Posts
Meaning? I have all five of the planes I mentioned, and for the money, the Ares planes are the best value, bar none.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:33 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,349 Posts
I just like the concept you buy it as a three ch plane and once you have mastered that just replace the wing and you are flying a four ch plane. It has to be it easiest way to manage that transition especially if people are teaching themselves. If you are in club with instructors and a buddy box then it is not such an issue.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,855 Posts
With the addition of the Gamma 370 Pro, you can actually do it backward. Buy the Pro version and then get the non-aileron wing for 20 bucks and plug the rudder into the aileron port. Then you have a 3 channel brushless trainer since the airframe is exactly the same for both. Then when you are ready, plut the aileron wing back on. It is a great concept. That's why I think the Ares planes are going to supplant the HZ Super Cub and Champ as the highwing trainer of choice.